Surround choice: RT35i or f/x 300i??

Options
bbriedis
bbriedis Posts: 9
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
I am finishing up my speaker purchase. So far I have RT55i for front, CS400i for center, and PSW450 for sub. I was thinking about the RC80i in-ceiling for the rears but someone recommended against this.

I can pick up a close out PAIR of RT35i's for $160 which is a great deal. The f/x 300i is about $200 more than this. Which pair would sound the best if I mount them on side walls two feet above ear level (the listening seat is against the back wall)? Do the RT35i's mount easily or are they pretty heavy? Do the Dipole/Bipole make for a better rear speaker? Also how do the Dipole/Bipole speakers sound with MUSIC in 5 or 6 channel stereo mode?

Thanks.

Bob
Post edited by bbriedis on

Comments

• lax01
    lax01 Posts: 496
    edited March 2002
    Options
    For $160? I would go buy the 35i's!

+They have the Tri-Lam tweeters, the f/x300i don't.
    +They will better match your system.

GO buy them now! That is a great price for them!
  • daniam
    daniam Posts: 9
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Get a pair of #10 3 3/4 inch screws, put em' into a stud, buy a pair of rt35I's and your in bussiness.
  • dbournival
    dbournival Posts: 131
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Hi Bob,

I have Rt35i's mounted on the back wall, if I was going to put them on the side wall (it did not work for me) I would have gone with the F/x300's. I have done 2 h/t's in the past year so if you have any questions (with Polk & Boston speakers) I try to help out...
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    Options
    i would go with the rt35i's, especially for the price. the driver/tweeter is going to mate better with your existing system than those in the f/x300. dipole speakers are recommended for HT use as side surrounds, but i am quite happy with the rt35i's i have now. the rt35i's are going to sound better in 5.1 channel music applications than the dipole speakers as well.