yamaha receiver speaker setup

Options
tommyrod74
tommyrod74 Posts: 19
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
Hi guys-

I wonder if anyone here knows whether to select "small" or "large" speakers with Yamaha receivers (spec. rx-v2200)? I have rt800 fronts, cs400 center and rt55 rears. Also, should the sub be set to "main", "sub", or "both"? Thanks for any help-

-Tommy
Post edited by tommyrod74 on

Comments

• steve simmons
    steve simmons Posts: 64
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I hope you are enjoying those speakers :) . When I had them hooked to my Yamaha DSP-A1 I tried them both ways and to be honest there was very little difference. I think I ended up setting the 800's as large and the CS400 as small. I can't remember what sub you are using but I would think that you would get the same type of results I did. There are times I really regret selling them but I do enjoy what I have now more for music. I'm thinking about going the separates route if I can find a pre/pro and amp I like and that doesn't break the bank :D
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited March 2002
    Options
    There's not a right or wrong answer to your question. The choice of "Large" vs. "Small" really depends on the speakers involved, your personal listening preference, the capability of your Sub, and possibly, how "gutsy" your receiver is (driving speakers full-range requires substantially more power).

All of the speakers you mention will do a good job with bass down to 50 Hz or so. Most of the material in a soundtrack that's below 80 Hz seems to end up in the LFE channel anyhow.

I've got 800 fronts and the CS400i (since last Thursday:D ) for the center, but I'm using smaller RT3's for surrounds. I have a decent HT setup, but I'm more into music listening than movies. I leave my 800's set to large most of the time, but I find that I prefer them set to "small" for movie soundtracks. I tried the 400 on large, as well, but couldn't hear any difference--so I set it back to small. The RT3's need a "small" setting. I've got the big PSW1200 subwoofer.

You need to try large and small settings to see which works best for you. I'm not familiar with that Yamaha receiver, so I can't answer your other question.

Jason
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited March 2002
    Options
    T-rod,

All of the above mentioned speakers can handle a "large" setting. Do it.
    Set your Yamaha to "both" if you want sub action when listening to music. "Sub only" will for whatever reason only activate your sub in "movie" mode, 5.1, dolby, etc.

-luc
  • tommyrod74
    tommyrod74 Posts: 19
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, guys-

Steve- I'm still loving the Polks, they are great. I too am thinking about seperates (actually, a seperate 5-channel amp with my Yamaha as a pre/pro) and might go with a Marantz mm9000 if I can find one at a good price. In the meantime, the Yamaha sounds great.

-Tommy
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I have the Yamaha (model# below) and have my mains and center set at large, with the rears set at small.

Also my sub is set to both. I think it works really well (the sub) in 5 channel stereo.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited March 2002
    Options
    T-Rod is right. Speakers (large), sub (both)
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • lax01
    lax01 Posts: 496
    edited March 2002
    Options
    My personal settings on my Yamaha RX-V800:

Fronts + Center: Large
    Surrounds: Small
    Sub: Both

I have RT1000i's, CS400i, and f/x300i's.

Good luck. And like everyone else said, just play around with it and see what works best with your system!

:)
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited March 2002
    Options
    just for more confusion.
    My yammie 795a

2000i's/55i's- large
    cs400i- small
    800i's- large
    sub- both