Foreplay question

organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited April 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Anybody ever build a Foreplay pre amp? I know Wardsweb did but he's not browsing this forum anymore. How does it sound compared to other tube pre amps? Is it easy to build with easy to follow instructions? I'm thinking about building one after the Dyna is playing again. My ASL took a dump on me. I've contacted ASL and still waiting for a reply about getting it repaired.

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2004
    The thread title made me think of Rudi;)

1/4Twin:cool:
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • organ
    edited April 2004
    Damn you HBomb! I told you she's mine:(. Go find yourself another CNN hottie:D. Maybe I could name my Foreplay 'Rudi' when I'm done with it LOL.

OK, back to the Foreplay. I've been reading some stuff on their site and it looks like I can easily build one. For $150, why the hell not? Now here's another question...does the wooden base come with it or do you have to buy it seperately?

Maurice
  • warviper
    warviper Posts: 585
    edited April 2004
    Yea she is hot. Some days I would kill for her.
    Wish I was a polkologist then I could call my self Dr.warviper.
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited April 2004
    The wood base does come with it. I am probably going to build it eventually. There is a forum at the bottlehead page. WardsWeb runs AudioKarma so you can find him and other Bottleheads at http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?s=
    It is a great forum filled with VERY knowledgable people.
    Graham
  • organ
    edited April 2004
    OK, now I really need to watch out for HBomb and Warviper:).

Gatemplin,
    Thanks for the help. I'll check out their forum. Looks like I'm going to have a lot of fun building it. Now I'm just thinking about what color to paint the metal top.

Maurice
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2004
    There are places which will anodize it in black or any other color you want. As for the wood I just used a wipe on wipe off finish on one of my projects and the looks kill. (super easy for a perfect job too). Not shiny, just natural looking. If you are interested I'll be happy to look on the can again for the name. I'll bet those things sound awesome. I was interested in one of their phono preamps but it's not too useful because I already have a great one.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • organ
    edited April 2004
    Thanks for the tip Madmax. Don't worry about looking around for the can. I'll just go to Home Depot and ask one of the guys there. For the metal plate, I plan to get it painted black with those rough, sandy texture. Just have to find someone who will do it. I guess I should get it painted before assembly eh?

Maurice
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2004
    A very classy looking finish is black with silver particles in it. That is what is on the Jolida tube amps. Lowes has it in spray cans and it looks exactly the same. It is Rustolium black w/metal flake. Goes on really nice! Oh yea, the wood finish was Watco Danish Oil Finish.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • organ
    edited April 2004
    Thanks a lot Madmax. That black and silver particles paint is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll also look for the Watco Danish Oil.

Maurice