Today's find... Boston T930 Speakers

RuSsMaN
RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
edited April 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
3-way sealed box, 1" silk dome, 6" midwoof, 10" woof.

The 10's will need to be foamed, I'm figuring I might as well get the 6's done at the same time. They aren't breaking up, but they feel REAL pliable and soft.

Actually, thinking about using the JBL SR6630 amp I bagged today to power these pups. God I love that Boston soft dome.

Cheers,
Russ
Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
Post edited by RuSsMaN on

Comments

• hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited April 2004
    Jeez louweez russ, there must just be mass amounts of decent used and vintage audio were you are. Wish I could find those kind of deals around here. I must say that I envy you.:D
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2004
    Forgot to mention, the dude had the original boxes and packing material too.

Garage sale for these, the guy had $75 on them, I waited until hubby left and went inside - and got the wife to let them go for $50.

The deals are out there, you just have to look for them - that's what I keep tellin' yous guys.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited April 2004
    With the weather finally getting nice around here, methinks it's past time to hit some yard/garage/dump sales :-D
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2004
    Do it brotha.

Instead of stopping at the local beer barn Friday night, ATM yourself a Franklin's worth of 20's, get to bed before 10pm, and hit it bright and early Saturday morning.

I'm talking 6-7am, and don't dilly-dally around, drive it like you stole it!

Cheers,
    Russ
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN

Instead of stopping at the local beer barn Friday night, ATM yourself a Franklin's worth of 20's, get to bed before 10pm, and hit it bright and early Saturday morning.

I'm talking 6-7am, and don't dilly-dally around, drive it like you stole it!

Cheers,
    Russ

No friggen way Russ... Its easier for me to waite until you decide to unass some gear;)

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2004
    Good point.

Just make sure you keep me posted, regularly, as to what you are looking for cochise.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2004

Just make sure you keep me posted, regularly, as to what you are looking for cochise.

Cheers,
    Russ

a nice little tube cdp so the cal audio can move to bedroom duty with my 55i's. I figure I'll just go with an integrated there also.

Thanks
    Henry
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited April 2004
    Boston T930s were my first 'real' pair of speakers ever back in '91. While I had them I also picked up a set of 'audiophile approved' Spica TC50s with their matching set of stands and subs (with amp) from Kinergetics which were specifically designed to match ang go with the Spicas. I grew to hate the Spica/Kinergetics combo over time, and went back to the Boston T930s.

They are still in service today in my cousin's step-son's room, but they too need to have their woofers replaced from cracking.

You can listen to these speakers all day long, and they will never fatigue you. Great imaging and soundstaging too.
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited April 2004
    Nice find Russ. I'm sure you used the worn out surround to your bargaining advantage. Especially if you have someone near you who can make the repairs at a fair price.

Gawd I really love speakers... they are the most fun thing to play around with. Different types, sizes, etc. Bostons are some good ones.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited April 2004
    Conrats Russ. How deep can they play?

There's a repo place not too far from my house that also sells electronics. I'm going to go there one day and see if they have anything good.

"Gawd I really love speakers... they are the most fun thing to play around with. Different types, sizes, etc."

Just like women eh:)?

Maurice
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2004
    seeems like we are saying congrats to Russ nearly every week for some other great finds he's scored. it's cool to find such bargins on speakers and other gear.

I tried the estate sales and garage sales etc.. got up early, planned my route out on a map and was finished my bargin hunting by 9:30 am. i think i hit about 9 different sales that morn.

scored 0

half tank of gas $12

i have to agree with others, in my area those bargins just don't exist. yeah i'll find some el cheapo old record player or boom box, that's all busted up. but the good stuff never shows up for sale here.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2004
    I'm more than likely going to keep them, and obviously get the surrounds done. I've got a place thats reasonable, that does good work.

How deep do they play? I have no idea. From my prior experience with Boston A100's, being a 10" woof in a sealed box - I'm guessing it will do mid 30's fairly solid. That, and a big plus of the acoustic suspension design is the roll from the 3db down point will be very gradual, so factor that and room gain into the equation and they should be pretty much full-range.

We'll see though, I agree, I do enjoy the vintage Boston sound.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited April 2004
    Those are okay. I know a LOT of cowgirls that use those exact speakers.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by George Grand
    ....cowgirls.....

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Actually, I do know a couple fems that dig em. Matter of fact, I think they moved down from Zoo Jersey recently. If I recall, their biggest **** in life was not being able to listen to a speaker made in the past 25 years up there.

Funny how those things work out, aint it? Not that it's all peaches and cream, they always bring a carton of Lucky's and tube of Brylcreme everytime they come over. I just don't get it.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited April 2004
    Russ, I'm going to have to go garage sale shopping with you :D
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2004
    What, and risk giving away my secrets of the trade?

You are sure welcome to come over to my house and 'shop' anytime though. ;) I promise you'll find more deals here, than you would in a weeks worth of hunting.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited April 2004
    Russ, I got to thinking about it, and my T930s had the mid range on top with the tweeter in the middle.

What's up with that?
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited April 2004
    You are sure welcome to come over to my house and 'shop' anytime though. ;) I promise you'll find more deals here, than you would in a weeks worth of hunting.
    Garage sale at Russ' house! Just let me know when. Will you be doing the selling or can we negotiate with your wife when you go bathroom? I'll make sure I'll bring enough beer to keep it flowing... ;)