Having doubts about new speaker system...

Ne0
Ne0 Posts: 11
edited June 2012 in Forum Testing Area
Okay, so I bought the Polk RM6750 6pc 5.1 surround sound speaker system (http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/specs/recent/rm6750/), and though I haven't yet set it up, I'm unsure of how happy I am with it. I have a rather large room (17'x25'x7' rectangular), and I'm beginning to think what I bought is inadequate for the space...I would be grateful for some professional feedback.

Thanks,
-Ne0
Dovahkiin: Fus ro DAH!
Guard: I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee.
Guard: Let me guess, someone stole your sweetroll!"Don't think you are, know you are." - Morpheus, The Matrix (1999)
"Do not try to bend the spoon ? that's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth: there is no spoon."- Boy "Hopeful", The Matrix (1999)"Until the day... 'til all are one..." - Optimus Prime, The Transformers (1986)
Post edited by Ne0 on

Comments

• tommyt21
    tommyt21 Posts: 685
    edited May 2012
    Uhhh yea I think for that size room your assessment is spot on.... I use that 5.1 for my bedroom.
    Living Room
    Fronts: RTi A7's
    Center: Csi A6 VR3 "Fortress Plus"
    Front Heights: Rti A1
    Surrounds: Rti A3
    Sub: HSU VTF-2 MK4 Damn this is a good SUB
    Pioneer Pioneer Elite: SC-35-> Emotiva XPA-3
    TV: Lg LW6500 55" Passive 3D
    Blu-Ray Panasonic BD 210
    XboX 360 Slim/Kinect

Acoustimac red suede panels
  • Ne0
    edited May 2012
    Your bedroom is that large?
    Guard: Let me guess, someone stole your sweetroll!"Don't think you are, know you are." - Morpheus, The Matrix (1999)
    "Do not try to bend the spoon ? that's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth: there is no spoon."- Boy "Hopeful", The Matrix (1999)"Until the day... 'til all are one..." - Optimus Prime, The Transformers (1986)
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited May 2012
    Been there, done that. Returned 'em. Buy some bigger Polks!! :smile:
  • tommyt21
    tommyt21 Posts: 685
    edited May 2012
    Ne0 wrote: »
    Your bedroom is that large?
    ?? no my bedroom is small hence I use that setup in my bedroom...Small speakers typically equal small room.

(PS polkies if your going to come up with some snide exception of a small speaker for a large volume dont. I am speaking in generalities.)
    Living Room
    Fronts: RTi A7's
    Center: Csi A6 VR3 "Fortress Plus"
    Front Heights: Rti A1
    Surrounds: Rti A3
    Sub: HSU VTF-2 MK4 Damn this is a good SUB
    Pioneer Pioneer Elite: SC-35-> Emotiva XPA-3
    TV: Lg LW6500 55" Passive 3D
    Blu-Ray Panasonic BD 210
    XboX 360 Slim/Kinect

Acoustimac red suede panels
  • Ne0
    edited May 2012
    tommyt21 wrote: »

Small speakers typically equal small room.

Ok, that's kinda what I was asking...
    But then my next question would be what would be a suitable setup for the dimensions I have?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited May 2012
    NeO can you give us a little more detail on your room, maybe some pics or a sketch of seating arrangement. The detail helps us out with your field of listening.

Cheers
    Ron
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited May 2012
    Ok, that's kinda what I was asking...
    But then my next question would be what would be a suitable setup for the dimensions I have?

For the fronts and surrounds use LSiM 707 towers. For the rears, a slightly smaller bookshelf is okay. Use the center that is matched to the 707. Buy decent electronics to drive the speakers. Invest in quality interconnect, speaker, and power cables. Buy a good power conditioner. For a room that size, get a decent projector and screen instead of a TV. Now you have a nice HT. Congratulations.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mdaudioguy
    edited May 2012
    ^^^ Uh, isn't that quite a budget leap for a guy who just bought a set of satellites?

I think we need a budget......
  • Ne0
    edited May 2012
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    NeO can you give us a little more detail on your room, maybe some pics or a sketch of seating arrangement. The detail helps us out with your field of listening.

Cheers
    Ron

Well, seeing as this room is in the basement (and the fact that there are trace amounts of mold growing down there), I couldn't snap a pic. I am unsure of what my floor plan is going to be like because I'm currently in the process of a complete overhaul project.

Anyways, how else can I describe what the setup will be like?
    ... ... ...
    All I know is that the length of the room(25') will probably be split in two by curtains (I don't have the $$$ to add walls where I want them), so that cuts it down to ~12.5'x 17', give or take a couple of square inches.

Hope this helps...
    - Ne0
  • Ne0
    edited May 2012
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    ^^^ Uh, isn't that quite a budget leap for a guy who just bought a set of satellites?

Thanks for reminding me...
    I do need to keep it reasonable, this is my first experience with home theater equipment. I need to keep it at around $550-$600 for the whole shebang.
  • mdaudioguy
    edited May 2012
    Thanks for reminding me...
    I do need to keep it reasonable, this is my first experience with home theater equipment. I need to keep it at around $550-$600 for the whole shebang.
    Start small and then build. Find a decent receiver and a pair of tower speakers and just run 2.0 at first. Then when you save up a little more, add a center, surrounds, and a sub. The Polk Monitor series is a great starting point.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    edited May 2012
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

Like....
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited May 2012
    I need to keep it at around $550-$600 for the whole shebang.

I don't think you're going to do any better than what you've already purchased in that price range.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited May 2012
    Is the whole shebang include all 5 speakers and a subwoofer ? New ?? Then I doubt it too. Used, maybe he can do better. What receiver are we talking too ?

Also, you really want to spend time, have your family spend time, watching flicks in a room with mold ? Seriously ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Ne0
    edited May 2012
    tonyb wrote: »
    Is the whole shebang include all 5 speakers and a subwoofer ? New ?? Then I doubt it too. Used, maybe he can do better. What receiver are we talking too ?

Also, you really want to spend time, have your family spend time, watching flicks in a room with mold ? Seriously ?

The receiver is an Insignia 5.1 system http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23153%3B+-+450W+5.1-Ch.+A/V+Home+Theater+Receiver/2244402.p?id=1218315551126&skuId=2244402&st=insignia%20receiver&cp=1&lp=2.

Also, don't you think I'm smart enough to keep people out of my basement, have the basement gutted out, scoured, and then put in furnishings? Seriously?
  • mdaudioguy
    edited May 2012
    Well, that's a real low-budget receiver and it will run some low-budget speakers, such as the Polk sat/sub set you got. You will not get, impressive, thunderous, room-filling sound with that. Just not gonna happen. Will it be ok for you? That's up to you to decide, but take it from me - been there, done that. My room was about that size, with higher ceilings. I can't remember if I even hooked everything up completely, but the mere sight of those little speakers in my big room actually made me LOL.

As I suggested before, start with fewer speakers and build from there. 2 towers and a better AVR than that. Return what you got and look around Best Buy for an open-box markdown on a Denon, Pioneer, or Yamaha. You'll be glad you did. Pick up a pair of towers from Polk's e-Bay store. You CAN enjoy movies like this. Later, add a sub, center, and surrounds.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited May 2012
    Welcome to Club Polk!

You need to save up for a GOOD sub in order to deal with a space that large and an entry receiver.

I suggest you keep an eye on newegg.com sales of Polk M series. Get 4 M-40s, one CS-2 as cheaply as you can find them. In theory that could be less than 375. Then you need a sub like the Polk PSW 505 for 200. For 550 to 600 you should be able to buy that set and it should provide some effect in your basement. Eventually you'll want to upgrade the AVR and get some L/R towers!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Ne0
    edited May 2012
    I feel the need to mention that I am a heavy gamer... Does that change the ideal setup? I was looking at this http://stores.ebay.com/Polk-Audio-Direct/Gaming-/_i.html?_fsub=425518619&_sid=686154689&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322, but it seems too good to be true...
  • cnh
    edited May 2012
    That's a great deal if you plan to be "up close" to the speaker bar & sub because those won't fill up your room otherwise.

For gaming. I would think you just have to have bigger guns up front and a "monster" sub! Because all those effects are usually LFEs (sub output).

In a smaller gaming room that Polk soundbar combo would do a nice job! And yeah, that price is for 'real'. Keep your eye on that site, too!

cnh

• Ne0
    edited May 2012
    cnh wrote: »
    That's a great deal if you plan to be "up close" to the speaker bar & sub because those won't fill up your room otherwise.
    cnh
    How close is up close? What's the range of the soundbar?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited May 2012
    Also, don't you think I'm smart enough to keep people out of my basement, have the basement gutted out, scoured, and then put in furnishings? Seriously?

Lol....sure hope so. Mold isn't something you just clean up with clorox, you can spread it if not carefull. Hopefully you have someone with some experience in mold remediation to tackle it. Hope it cleans up fine for ya anyway and your HT gets done without a hitch.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Ne0
    edited May 2012
    tonyb wrote: »
    Lol....sure hope so. Mold isn't something you just clean up with clorox, you can spread it if not carefull. Hopefully you have someone with some experience in mold remediation to tackle it. Hope it cleans up fine for ya anyway and your HT gets done without a hitch.

Yeah, I hope everything goes smoothly... considering the basement was supposed to be finished after a sewer backup a couple years back. They didn't seal the floor... and now I pay for it... all over again.

Also, in a sick twist of events, my TV has decided to stop functioning...
    I will be placing "getting a new TV" over my other HT priorities, keep the Budget suggestions coming, I just don't know when I can get to them...

The Universe must be displeased with me...
  • Ne0
    edited May 2012
    Apparently I can't edit my previous post, but I would like to ask how well this (http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/544265800/onkyo-sksht870) would work with the space I have.
  • cnh
    edited May 2012
    Here's my advice: DON'T try to set up the HT so that it has to deal with that ENTIRE space because nothing you've listed so far can do that.

Instead. Relegate the HT to a space of approximately 11 x 15 x 7 or less and you'll probably get by. Keep it closer, keep it smaller. I doubt if my system could fill your space without adding a multichannel power amp. And my Onkyo AVR is 130 watts x 7 and weighs 51 lbs. This AVR does a credible job with no extra amps in a viewing space of 11.5 x 17 x 8.5 (total room 11.5 x 25 x 8.5) With M-70s, a CS2 and supporting surround cast M-30s and a 300 watt/600 watt peak 12" sub (50 lbs). I wouldn't go less than this in my room. In your space, I'd run two subs and add a 3 x 200 watt power amp to my front speakers!

cnh2

• decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited June 2012
    daubyPaky l'ordure thai escroc a ?t? rapport
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.