Final Fantasy 13

swb502
swb502 Posts: 112
edited May 2012 in Video Games
Hello All,

I wanted to know if there are any other Final Fantasy fans on the board. I?m just about 8 hours into 13 now and I have to say I have pretty mixed feelings. The graphics are great, the battle system is starting to grow on me, but the story just sucks. I still miss FF7, FFT, FF10 and 12 seems like it had a great story but I didn?t finish it. Anyways, anyone have any thoughts on it or any other games in this genre on the ps3 that are worth playing?
Work in Progress HT
Receiver- Yamaha RX-2700
Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
Center- Polk Audio CS2 x 2
Surrounds- Polk Audio Monitor 70
Rear: Polk Audio Monitor 40
Sub- Polk Audio PSW505 x 2
Projector: Epson 8100 HC
Screen: Visual Apex 120"
Blu-Ray- 60 GB PS3
Post edited by swb502 on

Comments

• PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited August 2011
    I would COMPLETELY AGREE. I've played FF7, FF8, FF10, and FF12 and I just couldn't get into FF13. I played for about 5 - 6 hours. If pop it in again, I'll probably have to start over as it's been that long since I touched it.

I've played FF7 2 or 3 times all the way through, and FF8 at least 3 times. Loved FF10 and 12 too. But this one is too linear and just doesn't give me the same feeling I had playing the other games.

I may get to it sometime though.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited August 2011
    PrazVT wrote: »

Loved FF10 and 12 too. But this one is too linear

I enjoyed FF10, but its about as linear as you can get
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • punk-roc
    punk-roc Posts: 1,150
    edited August 2011
    I liked FF13.. took close to 20 hours for the game to open up a bit though... which is lame... but i enjoyed it.. not near as much as the other FF's though
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited August 2011
    I just beat it a week ago after playing it for awhile, putting it down for even longer and then coming back to it. I agree... the story just plain blows. However, I absolutely love the new battle system and found it quite addictive (making grinding not so much of a chore).

Also... the graphics are absolutely stunning.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • piker
    piker Posts: 101
    edited August 2011
    I've beaten FF7 on up in the series, and most of them I like a lot, but 13 is a mixed bag for me as well. I also thought it was too linear, even on Gran Pulse. It never really opened up much. There's one or two areas on Gran Pulse that are a huge open field, but nothing very exciting to explore in them.

Visuals, like usual, are stunning most of the time. The cutscenes are fun to watch and they throw in enough FF classic touches (Chocobos) to make it personal to fans of the series. The music is also great here. The two areas I felt it was really lacking was the battle system and especially the boss fights. Worst end-boss ever, I think.

FFXIII-II is coming out in early 2012 and I do look forward to it as it is a continuation that should tell us more about what 13's ending left us not knowing. There aren't many decent RPG's out there from this console generation, and if you have to compare 13 to other choices that we have now, I'd still pick it as one of my favorites.
    AVR: Onkyo TX-NR808
    Amp: Emotiva XPA-5 200 watts x 5
    Fronts: Polk Monitor 70 Series II
    Center: Polk CS2 Series II
    Surrounds: Polk Monitor 70 Series II
    Sub: HSU VTF-2 MK4
    HDTV: 73" Mitsubishi DLP-73740 3D-ready
    PS3, 2x XBOX 360, Wii U, Gaming PC.
  • PrazVT
    edited August 2011
    Yeah I don't dislike it or anything. I think now that the topic has been brought up, I might pop it in one of these days - usually the stories are quite good.

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • swb502
    edited August 2011
    I guess thats the big kicker, I think back to PS1 and even more so with PS2 there were so many good RPGs coming out that I was never at a loss. Now I feel sort of adrift. I think I might pick up the Legends of Heroes Trails in the Sky for PSP to try and get a fix.

I recently downloaded some of the PS1 classics, FF7 and Front Mission 3. I love the games but I kind of want more at this point, there 10 years old!
    Work in Progress HT
    Receiver- Yamaha RX-2700
    Blu-Ray- 60 GB PS3
  • kolbywhite28
    kolbywhite28 Posts: 49
    edited September 2011
    I like FF13 but not too impressed with the game. I'm looking forward to the next one. Heard it's gonna be released on 2012. I can't wait! Keeping my expectations up.
  • PrazVT
    edited September 2011
    I just liked the huge sandbox feel of the older FF games. 7, 8, 10, 12 were great that way. Hell, if they remade 7, 8 with updated graphics I'd play 'em again. There's always stuff I miss or didn't understand how to use ;)

But yah, I saw that FF13-2 is coming out soon. Then again, Assassin's Creed Revelations and BF3 / MW3 are coming out in the next few months ..so it'll be TBA when I get to 13.

Home Theater:

2 Channel:
  • Shan87
    Shan87 Posts: 12
    edited September 2011
    10 was last I played.
  • swb502
    edited September 2011
    10 is being re-released with HD graphics and nothing else. I finished this last weekend, the end really sealed the deal for me not liking this game.
    Work in Progress HT
    Receiver- Yamaha RX-2700
    Blu-Ray- 60 GB PS3
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited November 2011
    I'm just about 2 hours into XII and it's a slow start. I have beaten FFVII a few times over, and FFT. I am 90-100 hours in on FFTA (GBA). Tempted to start FFT again to go back and do stuff I missed.
  • logo896
    logo896 Posts: 322
    edited December 2011
    I gave up on it as well. The whole in ability to level and the weapon combining was annoying.
  • domflane
    domflane Posts: 653
    edited December 2011
    I also started playing FF with VII and played almost everything since. And by the way, you can't include X in any conversation regarding great FF games. Definitely the weakest game in the series and just as linear as XIII. If you didn't want to kill yourself after playing blitzball or hearing Tidus whine about his daddy, there's something wrong with you. If it wasn't for Yuna, I would have never finished the game. XIII at least felt like a Final Fantasy game. The graphics are phenomenal and the battle system is great too. I'm looking forward to playing XII-2, if I can ever put down Skyrim that is . .
    Home Theater
    RTiA5 - CSiA6 - FXiA6 - PSW650 - Pioneer Elite SC-55 - Carver AV-505 - Sony 46" 120Hz - Monster HP 2400 - Xbox 360 - Playstation 3
    2 Channel
    Polk RTA 15TL - Harman Kardon HK3485 - HK DVD48 - Signal Cable IC's and speaker cables
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited December 2011
    If they would please remake FF7 for 360, PS3, or whatever in 720/1080p I know they would make a killing on the sales...like beat out any current game with ease.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • dfretwell
    dfretwell Posts: 103
    edited January 2012
    I agree. The linear portion of FF13 was rough. The openness of the game was always the best part. Still think FF7 was the best ever. Even FF1 is still amazing. Hoping FF14 will take the critizism in to consideration.
  • 01Sugar2
    01Sugar2 Posts: 4
    edited January 2012
    I actually enjoyed the different take on FF13, but like we all know, 13 is nothing like any of the others before it except for maybe 10 (which I never played). 13's story (cut scenes) started closer to the end and worked its way backwards (towards the beginning of what started everything) and the game play worked its way forward from start to finish. Most people either really liked the game or they couldn't stand it. I too am waiting for FF13-2 to come out later this month, and now that I'm done with Skyrim, I'll have to find something else to play during the interim.

If you're a big fan of RPG's and you're looking for something that is amazingly open world, you should try out Star Ocean, "The Last Hope". It was released on PS3 and the 360, and will take hundreds of hours out of your time to get through most of it. I'm told that to platinum the game on the PS3 that it takes an avg. of between 600 and 700 hours to do so. The graphics are great and the story is a very easy one to follow.

Dustin
  • veronicaZora
    veronicaZora Posts: 3
    edited January 2012
    As a lot as final fantasies go. I've only seen a trailer of the new game coming on ps3. It's the most gorgeous video I've seen in a while. Lots of action, lots of shooting, outstanding music, the main character seems unpleasant. This game is going to be enormous, I cant wait for the release.
  • Tankman
    Tankman Posts: 419
    edited January 2012
    4 was the last one i played...
  • timalan
    timalan Posts: 106
    edited January 2012
    I just recently finished what I think is my 3rd playthrough of FF7... still my favorite of the series, but I've only played through 7,8,9,10... I agree that 10 was a disappointment b/c of the linearity. It didn't get anything close to a sandbox feel until close to the very end, and at that point, the only "goal" IIRC was to capture monsters and fight uber-monsters spliced together from the monsters you captured. I also just had trouble caring about most of the characters.

Playing back through VII, I was surprised at how many plot holes and how much nonsense I had blocked out of my memory. If they recreate it, they could really benefit from a good editor to clean up the dialogue and streamline/unite the story elements. I'm not suggesting they change it--I love the story--but rather that they keep the story they intended. It feels like FF7, for all its greatness, lacked the polish that could have come from a little more time playtesting and cleaning up the storyline. Still my favorite of the FF games.
    5.1 theater - Pioneer SC-07, Mirage OMD-CC center, 4 x Mirage Omnisats, Boston Acoustics VPS-210 sub
    2.1 living room - NAD 7400 integrated, 2 x Platinum Audio Duos, MIT Terminator4 cables
    2.1 bedroom- Arcam Solo, 2 x Mirage OMD-5's
    FOR SALE - Genesis Servo-10 sub, Genesis Servo-12 amp; Martin Logan Dynamo sub; Mirage MM-6 sub; Harman Kardon DPR-1001 7.1 receiver
  • PerfectCreature
    PerfectCreature Posts: 1,456
    edited January 2012
    I still have my FF7, I do have the Final Fantasy 13, and I did enjoy the graphics, the story line did get a bit boring and drawn out so I stopped playing, otherwise I loved the game.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft Interconnect
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
    Samsung Smart TV 40" 1080p 3D
  • Richd82
    Richd82 Posts: 64
    edited January 2012
    Agree with Creature 100% graphics and CG was jaw-dropping but after about 15hrs i just lost interest in the story and it was becoming a chore to finish. I enjoy playing games for fun so once i started to feel that way i put the game down. I did pick it back up recently but just couldnt get into it again.

I also dont know what to make of the 13/2 demo. I dont think itll be a day 1 for me.
  • Phillyphan801
    Phillyphan801 Posts: 40
    edited February 2012
    Haven't gotten into FF since XI
  • piker
    piker Posts: 101
    edited February 2012
    I enjoyed FFXIII-2 a lot more than the original. I didn't dislike FFXIII or anything. Sure it might not have been as fun for me as past titles in the series, but it's still better than most other RPG attempts out there.

I felt that the pace of the story in 13-2 was much better, and I wanted to rush to the end to see what would happen. Unfortunately, because I rushed the last half of the game, I am now just a bit underpowered.

***SPOILER***

I am not sure how many phases there are to the end, but I think I got about half way through what I think is the fourth and final phase. Although, knowing Square-Enix, there could be more. I need to gather a bunch more Crystarium points and then juice up my characters stats a bit more. If I can just find the last remaining items I need for my +40% AP rate weapons, that will help a lot.
    AVR: Onkyo TX-NR808
    Amp: Emotiva XPA-5 200 watts x 5
    Fronts: Polk Monitor 70 Series II
    Center: Polk CS2 Series II
    Surrounds: Polk Monitor 70 Series II
    Sub: HSU VTF-2 MK4
    HDTV: 73" Mitsubishi DLP-73740 3D-ready
    PS3, 2x XBOX 360, Wii U, Gaming PC.
  • script56
    script56 Posts: 11
    edited May 2012
    best game ever