Any nice SACD changers made?

disneyjoe7
disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
edited April 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
I know some members have SACD collections, So is anyone using a changer for this type of CD?

Speakers
Carver Amazing Fronts
CS400i Center
RT800i's Rears
Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
Parasound Halo A23
Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
Pioneer 79Avi DVD
Sony CX400 CD changer
Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Post edited by disneyjoe7 on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2004
    Are you looking for a 5 disc changer or a 300 - 400 disc changer? DVDs and CD/SACD or CD/SACD only?

2 very good Sony 5 disc CD/SACD changers that are no longer made are the SCD C222ES and the SCD C555ES. The 222 is very good and the 555 is excellent. You would have to find them used. There is a new Sony 5 disc ES CD/SACD that should be out in a few months that would be worth looking at that is supposed to have a MSRP of around $400±. Currently there is the Sony DVP-NC555ES which was a replacement for the SCD C555ES - It is a progressive scan DVD player in addition to SACD/CD/MP3 etc. I have heard good things about it. Sony also makes an ES 400 disc DVD/SACD/CD/MP3 player - the DVP-CX777ES I understand it has the same DACs as the DVP-NC555ES and is also quite good.

I currently have 2 SACD/CD 5 disc changers - A non ES model SCD CE775 and the SCD C222ES. Both are very good SACD players but the 222 is a far superior redbook player. I am a big fan of the Sony ES changers and may look to get the new one that is comming out soon. I wanted to buy a SCD C555ES but waited too long to get a new one.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • disneyjoe7
    edited April 2004
    Well I have the Sony 300 disk changer now. Using it daily for the shuffle mode in a Group I named Country. This shuffle mode does a great job of playing tunes.

I would like to get a changer that would do this "Above is a must" play SACD and DVD (but doesn't have too). Sony current line doesn't do this, are you saying that a new line is coming out that may?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• shack
    edited April 2004
    You currently have 2 options...Both are DVD, SACD/CD players. One is a non ES model and one is an ES model (worth the extra $ IMO). Follow the link to check them out.

DVP-CX985V MSRP $400

DVP-CX777ES MSRP $800

If you decide to buy one, Oade Brothers is a great Co. to deal with and they have good prices too.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • disneyjoe7
    edited April 2004
    I did download the manual for the CX985V but it seem like it had no groups like the older model does.

The CX777ES seems like the same in this aspect.

Originally posted by shack
    You currently have 2 options...Both are DVD, SACD/CD players. One is a non ES model and one is an ES model (worth the extra $ IMO). Follow the link to check them out.

DVP-CX985V MSRP $400

DVP-CX777ES MSRP $800

If you decide to buy one, Oade Brothers is a great Co. to deal with and they have good prices too.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited April 2004
    DJ - If the Sony unit uses "Disc Explorer" then you don't lose that feature. The DE allows you to shuffle individual folders(groups) or the entire library. Sony has re-named groups....to folders.

The DVP-CX777ES and DVP-CX985 both include that feature. I wasn't sure what you were trying to figure out, so sorry for late response.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited April 2004
    Sony is returning to the inexpensive SACD/CD-only (no DVD) changer market with a model that may retail for $150.00. See below link for complete story of coming Sony SACD hardware....

http://www.twice.com/article/CA402069.html?verticalid=820&industry=Home+Audio&industryid=23100&pubdate=03/08/2004
  • disneyjoe7
    edited April 2004
    Thanks all,

Yes it was the folders over the group thing I didn't get.

I will have to see this in person, off to CC.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• shack
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by disneyjoe7
    I will have to see this in person, off to CC.

You won't find the ES model at CC. They should have the DVP-CX985.

• disneyjoe7
    edited April 2004
    Well your right I can't see the ES model at CC, just came back from there.

But still unsure about this folder / genre thing in the manual. I could buy / try / return if unhappy. But to tell you truth I can count on my hand how many returns I have done in my life.

So the question is do you use this model?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• dorokusai
    edited April 2004
    DJ - Dude....how specific do you need this question to be answered? You are killing me ;)

Disc Explorer: This unit reads the disc information of all the discs and loads the information into memory so that disc type, titles, and other text information can be displayed on the TV screen. Disc Explorer offers the following modes to help you search and manage your discs:

File Mode: The player has 7 folders (All, DVD, CD, and A to D) and can display the contents of each folder. All the discs in the player are filed in the All folder. At the same time, DVDs are automatically filed in the DVD folder, and SACDs, audio CDs, Video CDs, and MP3 CDs are filed in the CD folder. You can file up to 400 discs in one folder, and the same disc can be filed in different folders.
    Note: You can set Program Play, Shuffle Play, and Repeat Play for discs within a single folder.
    Edit Mode: You can label discs with a 16-character title (Disc Memo) and folders with a 3-character title. In addition, you can assign a genre label to each disc.
    Sort Mode: You can sort discs in a folder by disc slot number, text information (DVD/SACD/CD Text or Disc Memo), or genre.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited April 2004
    Sorry, I could buy this ES or the non ES changer right now.

But I don't wait to spend 1 or 2 days to get it all done. Pulling 260 disk out / putting 280 disk in, DVD included. Programming the whole thing :eek:

Ok sounds like you have this changer :) So my Question is....

1. Can it shuffle / country disk about 65 or so?

2. Can it shuffle SACD / CD disk if they are Country? Or is it SACD or CD only?

BTW I think I pissed off some members now so I don't what to piss you off too. I sorry if I did piss off anyone, please PM if I did.

Thanks

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• dorokusai
    edited April 2004
    DJ - Hell no man, I not pissed at all, LOL....just trying to help you.

I don't own that changer, or any 6+changer by Sony....I just know about the product line. I would buy the ES changer, if they would bring the European model, in black, into the US.

I know that it will read the disc, and file it automatically into the pre-made folder....SACD, DVD,etc. Discs can be part of multiple folders...for example a SACD/CD Hybrid can be listed in multiple folders for use in shuffle mode. I think that you can only shuffle "All" or a specific folder at a time.

Can you currently shuffle multiple groups or one at a time? If you can now, then you can with these newer changers also.

Unfortunately, I think that you are going to have to load and re-enter all your information again. The Sony S-Link may let you copy the identical information to the new changer, but this I am not postive on. You may be able to hook it up, daisy chained with your current changer, and ghost the information to the new one.

If you load 65 discs, all country, into a folder....you can shuffle play them all. It will toggle between the formats, SACD being the default if I recall. The SACD layer is my default TOC for the SCD-555ES, which I do own.

Does this help you?
  • disneyjoe7
    edited April 2004
    Yes that helps thanks.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23