Quick Question

avelanchefan
avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
edited March 2002 in Music & Movies
Ok I am still a little ruff around the edges when it comes to the whole HT side of things so bare with me here.

But is DTS better than DD 5.1?

I have multiple DD 5.1 DVD's and they all sound great, but I just figured out that Gladiator has DTS, so I went into the DTS mode for it....and low and behold it was like a whole new world. Is this just me or is it better? Everything was just so much clearer. More detailed. Maybe I just need to go to bed since I just got off a 12 hour shift.
Sean
XboxLive--->avelanchefan
PSN---->Floppa
http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
Post edited by avelanchefan on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    many people share this opinion that DTS is better. a DTS soundtrack is not compressed as much as a DD soundtrack, hence DTS offers a theoretically higher sound quality due to the lesser amount of compression involved...
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited March 2002
    Because dts is less compressed, it, to me, has a more open soundstage. Less speaker localization is a good way to put it. But, it is not the end all, infact, the dd track on The Musketeer sounds better then the dts track.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited March 2002
    Thanks for the replies guys. It makes sense now that you explained it that way. Sometimes looking at specs on some of these DVD's and such is like reading arabic.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited March 2002
    DTS tends to sound clearer to me too. Here's some more info on the differences of DTS and DD... it's from a Dolby perspective, but still might offer some insight into the differences. Things like loudness, mastering, and mixes.
    Skip to page 3...

http://www.dolby.com/tech/mp.in.0103.DigitalVsDTS.pdf
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2002
    i think that it goes both ways some dd sounds beter to me and some dts sounds beter i dont know why but it dues
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    there are so many variables involved, many touched on in dylan's link, that it is hard to say one is always going to be better than the other. i mean, you get a DD track with THX guys mastering it, and you are most likely going to have a masterpeice. DTS wins some(actually most IMO), but DD wins some as well...
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited March 2002
    It's obviously a very opinionated subject, but I'd have to say 95% of the DVDs I've heard that feature DD and DTS tracks, I choose to listen to the DTS track. In movies like Gladiator and The Fast and the Furious, the DTS track FAR exeeds the sound quality of the DD one. That's just plain as day to my ears. Even at lower volumes, I've found the DTS tracks to display more audible information, more clearly. Of course, I will agree that THX mixed tracks like that of Episode One, Akira, and Fight Club sound amazing. I'd like to see those same THX guys mix for DTS compressed sound, and see the results.

You take a test like this, conducted by Dolby, and you see a lot of numbers. All that matters to me is what my ears hear. Regardless of who is better, I like the fact there are two formats our there. Hell, I'd like to see more formats. Competition is the best way to push innovation! Since both of the formats are clearly capable, I have no problem listening to either.