HELP fixing lawn mower; Strong metal adesive recommendations please?

TECHNOKID
TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
edited April 2012 in Custom Fabrication
I have a damaged magnetic drum that provides the voltage sparks to my lawn mower motor that is split into 2 pieces.

Unfortunately, despite my internet search this part is no longer available. I tried the typical 2 parts epoxy glue unsuccessfully (drum would split again at the same exact location with simply manually cranking the motor).

I wonder if anyone has strong adesive recommendations that could potentially achieve the task. Or maybe some after market mod kit to allow me to fix the motor?

I bought a new mower yesterday evening and despite my old mower 15 years of age, the new Chinese manufactured piece of garbage will not come close to the efficiency of the old mower if I can fix it.

I will more likely return the new mower and buy better quality but I would hate to trash a good piece of equipment simply because the part is not available. I would like to keep the old one as back-up for my self and my sons (or other family members, friends) in the eventuality of failure or maintenance of any of the ones we are using. Yesterday evening was the first time I could cut my grass and the front of my house looked like an abandoned property for a couple weeks and I do not want to go through this again. I have not touched the back of the property yet as I will do that this evening and that will be be the big test on the new mower I bought yesterday evening. If that thing behaves as it did yesterday, it is definitely going back to where it came from.

Any help recommending how to fix the old but quality mower would be greatly appreciated!

If this helps, the motor is a TECUMSEH and the model number is TVS90...

Cheers!
TK
DARE TO SOAR:
“Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
Post edited by TECHNOKID on

Comments

• Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited June 2011
    See if this outfit has what you need. Best on the net IMO.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/tecumseh_parts_index.cfm
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Oldfatdogs
    Oldfatdogs Posts: 1,874
    edited June 2011
    You might try J.B.weld.
  • TECHNOKID
    edited June 2011
    See if this outfit has what you need. Best on the net IMO.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/tecumseh_parts_index.cfm
    Unfortunately they do not carry what I nedd but thanks for your help.
    Oldfatdogs wrote: »
    You might try J.B.weld.
    Looks like a potential winner, I will try it. Thanks!
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    edited June 2011
    Loctite makes a couple products also that are machineable after hardening if necessary.
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited June 2011
    What brand is the mower?

Mytractorforum.com has a GOLDMINE of info on old mowers.
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited June 2011
    Good site Gary!

Some pics of what we're dealing with would be a help. Aluminum or cast iron?

Edit....Is this the one? If so, how many you want?:biggrin:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/TECUMSEH-FLYWHEEL-611299-/300545618723
  • TECHNOKID
    edited June 2011
    gdb wrote: »
    Good site Gary!

Some pics of what we're dealing with would be a help. Aluminum or cast iron?

Edit....Is this the one? If so, how many you want?:biggrin:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/TECUMSEH-FLYWHEEL-611299-/300545618723
    Are you usually pretty good with lotery? Looks pretty close but the number doesn't match;

Your lucky number: http://www.partstree.com/parts/?pn=611299

The specific number for mine: http://www.landscapepower.com/pdf/Tecumseh/143-434312%20Craftsman.pdf (check part in line 90). You definitely led me on the right track. Unfortunately nothing in Canada. I found a used one in the US, cost almost as much as the new one you refered to and 23$ shipping; http://shop.ebay.ca/i.html?rt=nc&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=Flywheel+611112&_trksid=p3286.c0.m301 :frown:
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited June 2011
    ^^^^^^reported^^^^^^
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • TECHNOKID
    edited June 2011
    decal wrote: »
    ^^^^^^reported^^^^^^
    What do you mean?:confused: What have I done wrong?:frown:

Started removing the epoxy residue on the 2 pieces last night, quite messy, glad I have the dremel to help clean the mess up. I still have to work on one piece before I can apply any J.B. Weld adesive on the pieces. Unfortunate it is a pain for me to order from the US as I would have ordered the new replacement for it yesterday and some other parts from the supplier gdb is referring (this business seems to have a really good track record) oh well, I guess no one is forcing me to live in Canada...
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • 20hz
    20hz Posts: 636
    edited June 2011
    can you add a picture of the broken part ?
    or a part #
  • TECHNOKID
    edited June 2011
    20hz wrote: »
    can you add a picture of the broken part ?
    or a part #
    20hz, it #90 on the part diagram; http://www.landscapepower.com/pdf/Tecumseh/143-434312%20Craftsman.pdf and down the same page; http://www.landscapepower.com/pdf/Tecumseh/143-434312%20Craftsman.pdf

Number 90 indicates part number 611112 which is pretty close to what gdb has provide;http://cgi.ebay.com/TECUMSEH-FLYWHEEL-611299-/300545618723. In fact it is so close that I researched a little more after gdb has posted and some forum discussion was wondering if 611299 was a replacement for 611112.

Furthermore, when trying to order from a US site last night, when completing the order I was warned that 611299 was the replacement for 61112. However, some other forum implied their could be potential key pin and timing issues when swapping both parts.

Cheers!
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • 20hz
    20hz Posts: 636
    edited June 2011
    oh that thing, whats yours made out of ?
    if its alum it will need a weld , did it break across where the shaft goes through ?
    As mentioned earlier JB weld is the strongest bond I know of but heat may kill it and you (like I) want to fix it 1 time .
    Was there one on ebay ?
  • gdb
    edited June 2011
    I think he's gonna give duct tape a try next.:eek:
  • TECHNOKID
    edited June 2011
    20hz wrote: »
    oh that thing, whats yours made out of ?
    if its alum it will need a weld , did it break across where the shaft goes through ?
    As mentioned earlier JB weld is the strongest bond I know of but heat may kill it and you (like I) want to fix it 1 time .
    Was there one on ebay ?
    I think he's gonna give duct tape a try next.:eek:
    Hum, as usual you are sooo helpfull gdb and I never tought of it but we have lots of gaffer tape here at the office (hum, free repair)drawback is no extended warranty will cover that, right? :biggrin:
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • gdb
    edited June 2011
    Hey!!! I gave you a source for a new flywheel, all you have to do now is pry open your wallet.... and buy it. That's helpful, IMO.:tongue:
  • TECHNOKID
    edited June 2011
    The following items have been shipped to:

XXXX

using Xpedited Canada (2-6 days)

Name Code Qty Each Options
    TEC FLYWHEEL KEY 611004 / 611004
    02-403

(Shipped)

Dear ****,

Thank you for placing your order with Jacks Small Engines. You will receive an e-mail when your order has shipped with your tracking information.

Your Order
    Your Order Confirmation Number: ****
    Order Date: 6/10/2011 12:44:16 AM
    Part NumberDescriptionQuantityPrice Per Item
    611112FLYWHEEL 1 $XX.XX
    Subtotal:$XX.XX
    Tax:$XX.XX
    Total Shipping:25.99 :eek:
    Total Sale:$75.30 (THAT IS US$ AND DOES NOT TAKE TO ACCOUNT THE EXCHANGE)

Shipping Information
    Shipping AddressShipping Details
    CANADA (AH AH! WE GOT YOU MAILED WITH EXTRA FEES CANUCK!!! :tongue: )

You will receive an e-mail when your order has shipped with your tracking information. Please allow up to 24 hours for this to be available.
    I was not taking this lightly, for some reason could not find anything in Canada. Many sites would state it was no longer available when trying to complete purchase. Some would simply not deliver to Canada. With the help and leads from Polkersince85, TNRabbit and gdb, I did not give up and finally I've been successful. I spent a few nights searching trying to order from various places, I managed to get the flywheel from http://www.jackssmallengines.com/tec...arts_index.cfm (as per Polkersince85 lead) and got the key pins from elsewhere as I was not successful at ordering them from http://www.jackssmallengines.com/tec...arts_index.cfm (they probably carried them but somehow could not find them). Patience paid off but this was a pain and will cost 30 - 40% but the mower should run for many more years (I would not be surprised it would run longer than the new mower).

It will more likely take a while before I get the parts so I'll use the new mower in the mean time. After I get the parts and successfully restart the engine, I'll do a good PM on it (typical oil change, spark plug, new filter...). Hopefully, should work like a new one when all done.

Gdb I was not taking this lightly, the flywheel turns at roughly 3000 RPMs and I realize an adhesive fix might have just worsen the situation. Now, I can recycle the old flywheel and give it coffee brewing duty as mentioned my Canuck pan is 30 years old, good idea you think? :tongue:

Thank you all and have a great weekend!
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited June 2011
    TECHNOKID wrote: »

Not you Technokid, there was a spammer under your post that was removed by the mods.:smile:
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • TECHNOKID
    edited June 2011
    decal wrote: »
    TECHNOKID wrote: »

Not you Technokid, there was a spammer under your post that was removed by the mods.:smile:
    I was picking on you decal as that is what I figured happened but I just couldn't resist.:biggrin:
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • TECHNOKID
    edited June 2011
    Hey!!! I gave you a source for a new flywheel, all you have to do now is pry open your wallet.... and buy it. That's helpful, IMO.:tongue:
    Nothing wrong with opening the wallet for the proper fix however, as I pointed out it was not that obvious to get it. Nothing in Canada and hell on eart to get one from the US but I guess patience and persistence prevail! :wink: Just a matter of waiting a couple weeks for the brand new flywheel to show at the door. As mentioned, you and few others were of great help!:wink:
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • TECHNOKID
    edited July 2011
    Received the flywheel at work today. Was originally sent to me via USPS on June 16th! :eek:

Goodness I miss my old lawnmower! The piece of garbage (yarworks) I bought to replace it (as the old one would be back-up) was giving me issues since day one. Full of gaz, oil is leveled and this thing no longer starts.

I cleaned the piece of junk over the weekend for return as early as possible this week. Good timing for the flywheel to get to ottawa as I may stick with my old lawn mower for the remainder of the summer and will look for potential end of season sale on better quality product. :wink:
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • TECHNOKID
    edited July 2011
    Reported!
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • samfraser
    samfraser Posts: 21
    edited April 2012
    Toro is the only brand I will buy, but that is mainly because of our local store that sells them. They will stand behind their mowers forever.
    Yamaha RX-A710
    Monitor 70 Mains
    CS2 Center
    Monitor 40 Surrounds
    PSW505 Sub