Bridging tfmcb for center use?

Options
warviper
warviper Posts: 585
edited April 2004 in Electronics
What do you guys think about it for ht. Will I get much distortion any damage to the center channel because of the the distortion?

And just to make sure that I will be doing it right all you need to do is to flip the switch and plug in the center out to the left channel right? And then hook up the center to the left channel out on the amp? Dont want any blown gear from this. Thanx for the help.:D
Wish I was a polkologist then I could call my self Dr.warviper.
Post edited by warviper on

Comments

• warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I don't think you are are doing this right. I have 3 Carver TFM-15cb's bridged for my fronts. You slide the switch to bridged, hook the center channel out from your preamp to the left channel OUTPUT (make no sense) of the Carver, hook the speaker cables to both of the RED binding post. Not just the left side. The 15cb puts out 280 watts when bridged. What center are you using?
  • warviper
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Im using the cs1000p. Woudnt I hook up the Ic to the left channel only right and I would need to split the signal to the sub on the cs1000p Im thinking. Thanx for the reply warlocks.
  • warlocks1
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Yes, you need to split the IC before it gets to the amp. I am using the same center.
  • warviper
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Thanx for the help warlocks. Let me get this right you take the single rca from the preamp and split it and one cable goes to the left channel on the tfm and the other goen into the back of the cs1000p and then you flip the switch on the back of the amp and your good to go right. Do you notice any distortion? Wow nice to meet some one that has the same first name as I do.:D
  • warlocks1
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I think you have it right. Split the cable from you preamp. Connect one to the CS1000p, connect the other to the IC to the left channel OUT (not input) of the Carver. Connect the speaker cable to both red binding post. Switch the amp to BRIDGED. Remove the metal connecting straps from the back of the CS1000P (VERY IMPORTANT). Connect the speaker cable to the top binding posts ONLY! Connect the IC to the subwoofer input on the CS1000P. I would start with the Carver level controls at half way and be sure to calibrate with a SPL meter. You will not get any distortion. Try to have the Center plugged into the same circuit as the rest of your components to avoid a ground loop hum. If you get a buzz through the speaker, you might need a cheater plug. Enjoy!
  • warviper
    edited April 2004
    Options
    warlocks I have mine bi wired now and have the ic going to the center input and the hi and lows hooked up sepreately why would i only hook up the highs only?
  • warlocks1
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I don't think you can biwire and use the subwoofer input at the same time. Have you done this before? The manual doesn't state anything about biwiring. You might want to call Polk Monday before you try that. Let me know how it works out.
  • warviper
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Ive been doing it and it sounds great to me. But wtf do I know. I never got a manual with mine cause i got it used. Hope Im not hurting any thing.
  • warlocks1
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Warviper, I just off the phone with Ken in Customer Service. He stated that the CS1000p is not bi-wire capable. Either you use the speaker connection to the top terminals, remove the jumpers and use the line level input, or you leave the jumpers in place and not use the line level input. He supposed it wouldn't hurt anyting trying to use all 3 connections, but there wouldn't be any benefit. The top speaker post work the tweeter and the non-amplified drivers. The bottom speaker post are for the powered subwoofers.
    The RT3000p speakers are bi-amp/wire capable because you have seperate boxes and he does recommond bi-amping those.

Thanks, Jeff
  • warviper
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Thanx for the help. I get so busy sometimes that I can call my self.