Dumb things you've heard from "audiophiles"...

Options
halo71
halo71 Posts: 4,572
edited April 2012 in The Clubhouse
Post 'em up. Thought it would be funny to hear what crazy ridiculous things you've heard before.

I actually read this on another audio forum recently. He was not joking either!
Amps should be bought for their features and power ratings, not in how they sound.
--Gary--
Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
Post edited by halo71 on

Comments

• markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I can think of two forums where that belief is etched in stone, poor souls.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited April 2012
    Options
    halo71 wrote: »
    Post 'em up. Thought it would be funny to hear what crazy ridiculous things you've heard before.

LOL... I believe that was in a thread I was involved in yesterday perhaps........ :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited April 2012
    Options

In that case, the title should be "Dumb things you've heard from people who are clueless about audio." :lol:
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I don't know whether Halo intends this for audio only.

OK, I see he does.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • pietro944
    pietro944 Posts: 720
    edited April 2012
    Options
    "synergy".......and....."everything matters":rolleyes:
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2012
    Options
    pietro944 wrote: »
    "synergy".......and....."everything matters":rolleyes:
    It sounds like you belong at one of the forums referred to above.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Where is Jinjuku or whatever his handle was when you need him? All you have to do is "mine" his posts and you'd instantly have a dozen "funnies".

Let's see if I can remember one: Pro-amps are as good or better than higher end power amps. Or something like that.

Was he also the CAT-5 Bandit who thought internet grade communication cables were as good or better than anything else?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • pietro944
    pietro944 Posts: 720
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    It sounds like you belong at one of the forums referred to above.

......and you belong with the lemmings and kool-aid drinkers:eek:
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited April 2012
    Options
    This isn't going to end well is it ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited April 2012
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    This isn't going to end well is it ?

It didnt in the thread he pulled this from.... I know :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Face
    edited April 2012
    Options
    pietro944 wrote: »
    ......and you belong with the lemmings and kool-aid drinkers:eek:
    Thanks for reinforcing how little you know.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • halo71
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Damnit Enders......I was trying to keep that outta this! lol

Tony, I think you may be right there.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • 67jason
    67jason Posts: 57
    edited April 2012
    Options

If you are going to quote me, I'd appreciate it if you would include my name. :wink:

Its funny to me that there are so many kool-aid drinkers over here. I lurk most days over here and get a few good laughs while I am bored at work.

Go ahead it get you panties in a bunch and say how wrong and clueless i am etc. It no skin off my back. The fact is none of you can prove scientifically that your beliefs are true, the best argument you got is going to be telling me how you don't need science to prove your beliefs and all the things you think you hear. Its all good. Remember way back when people didn't need science to prove the world was flat, but they did need it to prove it was round. So all you guys enjoy your gear and keep your beliefs to yourself, because I dont need to hear it. And any one who will attempt to argue with me over here, you wasting your breath, because your arguments will be falling on deaf ears. So go ahead and flame away, flex your superiority complexes. I know it will make you feel better tearing me up. I will be enjoying me gear.

so have it boys.
  • halo71
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Deaf ears huh? Apparently not. :cheesygrin:

If you can not hear a difference that is all fine and well. You should post that as opinion though.

Yep Tony....you were correct! lol
    --Gary--
  • BlueFox
    edited April 2012
    Options
    67jason wrote: »
    Go ahead it get you panties in a bunch and say how wrong and clueless i am etc. It no skin off my back. The fact is none of you can prove scientifically that your beliefs are true, the best argument you got is going to be telling me how you don't need science to prove your beliefs and all the things you think you hear. Its all good. Remember way back when people didn't need science to prove the world was flat, but they did need it to prove it was round. So all you guys enjoy your gear and keep your beliefs to yourself, because I dont need to hear it. And any one who will attempt to argue with me over here, you wasting your breath, because your arguments will be falling on deaf ears. So go ahead and flame away, flex your superiority complexes. I know it will make you feel better tearing me up. I will be enjoying me gear.

As Abraham Lincoln so wisely stated:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." :rolleyes:

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BeefJerky
    BeefJerky Posts: 1,319
    edited April 2012
    Options
    A bit-perfect copy of a CD sounds different than the original.
    A lossless file from a bit-perfect CD rip sounds different than the original CD.
    Digital cable X sounds different than digital cable Y.

Those are the ones that spring to mind for me.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited April 2012
    Options

worms.jpg

The can has officially been opened !!!!!!!!
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited April 2012
    Options
    the placement of the instruments was spot-on....how the F would they know? were they there, in the studio or hall?
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,713
    edited April 2012
    Options
    BeefJerky wrote: »
    A bit-perfect copy of a CD sounds different than the original.
    A lossless file from a bit-perfect CD rip sounds different than the original CD.
    Digital cable X sounds different than digital cable Y.

Those are the ones that spring to mind for me.

Well of course they don't sound the same if you haven't broken them in properly. Everyone knows you have to play the files for 200 hours before comparing! :rolleyes:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    edited April 2012
    Options

I culled your posts over there. I see you got into an entry level consumer AVR, entry level consumer speakers and entry level consumer cable last year, which is all fine and dandy. I'm curious though, have you ever owned anything other than entry level consumer gear because I see you still haven't learned the difference between an amp and an AVR, which when coupled with your quoted comment at the beginning of this thread naturally leads one to believe that you do not possess the experience and knowledge needed to formulate an opinion on the matter.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,894
    edited April 2012
    Options
    ......and you belong with the lemmings and kool-aid drinkers:rolleyes:
  • Face
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Great thread Gary. :rolleyes:
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,894
    edited April 2012
    Options
    If you are going to quote me, I'd appreciate it if you would include my name. :wink:

Its funny to me that there are so many kool-aid drinkers over here. I lurk most days over here and get a few good laughs while I am bored at work.

so have it boys.

Flush...
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited April 2012
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I culled your posts over there. I see you got into an entry level consumer AVR, entry level consumer speakers and entry level consumer cable last year, which is all fine and dandy. I'm curious though, have you ever owned anything other than entry level consumer gear because I see you still haven't learned the difference between an amp and an AVR, which when coupled with your quoted comment at the beginning of this thread naturally leads one to believe that you do not possess the experience and knowledge needed to formulate an opinion on the matter.

A valid question! Nothing beats actual seat time with a variety of equipment.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited April 2012
    Options
    So all you guys enjoy your gear and keep your beliefs to yourself, because I dont need to hear it.

10-4. Sound advice I can live with.:wink::cheesygrin:
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • halo71
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    Great thread Gary. :rolleyes:

You no approve? Gotta admit, his comment was funny.
    --Gary--
  • brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    edited April 2012
    Options
    "Quote Originally Posted by 67jason View Post
    So all you guys enjoy your gear and keep your beliefs to yourself, because I dont need to hear it."

That's why i joined the forum as well.To not hear what anybody has to say.
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • SDA1C
    SDA1C Posts: 2,069
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Ohh, Ohh, I got one....

"Yea Yea I know...I need to get some cable management!"

Me too! Where do you get that stuff these days? Next to the black paint? What you really mean is "Yea Yea...I know, I need to get off my lazy **** and clean my Shi7 up. If I call my gross lack of attention to detail some wacky catch phrase people will think I am more important than I am and I'll be cool like the rest"

Cable Management? Are you effin kidding me? Sounds like something you would read on the back of an LG T.V somewhere!
    Too much **** to list....
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Just to set the young lad straight on something. Science didn't prove the world wasn't flat. Someone actually got in a boat and discovered that fact.....experience, they found out for themselves, and thats all we ask of people here.

I should get a cookie or somethin' for calling this thread early. :cheesygrin:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    edited April 2012
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Just to set the young lad straight on something. Science didn't prove the world wasn't flat. Someone actually got in a boat and discovered that fact.....experience, they found out for themselves, and thats all we ask of people here.

That is a good point, and it applies to audio. The science at the time wasn't able to prove the world was round, but later as more discoveries were made science can prove the world is round. Same with audio. Right now we are proving these audible differences with experience, and as more discoveries are made the subtle differences in gear, cables, etc. will be quantifiable with science.

Three 20 amp circuits.
This discussion has been closed.