CRS+ Restoration updated

jrausch
jrausch Posts: 510
edited August 2001 in Technical/Setup
I received my replacement SL2500 soft dome's from Polk for repairing my CRS+'s. I replaced my SL2000's with the new ones and ran some comparison tests. I'm sorry to report, although these are decent replacements. They are designed for a more flat response speaker. I listened to various resonate vocal singers with some smooth trumpet solo's and found the 2500's slightly colored. The voices sounded restrained and the horns were not as clean, crisp and detailed. My old 2000's also seem to have a better dispersion. Luckily I have an older pair of 5jr's that needed some new tweets in them. They make good bedroom speakers now. These smaller CRS's may not have the bass response of it's larger brother's but the sound field is much wider. My buddy has a pair of the SDA2.3's/w Adcom mono blocks that are very powerful, but mine produce a wider sound field and he agrees with me. It's too bad we will never see this technology again. Would have loved to hear what new materials and a more discrete cross talk could have done for this more affordable line. For those of you who were lucky enough to get the last of the SL2000's you won't regret your purchase.

Thank's Polk for having such a cool forum and great service.

Late, JR :)
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
Post edited by jrausch on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited August 2001
    Maybe with some break in the 2000's will sound better to you.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited August 2001
    Super! Another SDA fan out there!

But, are you sure the sound stage is actually wider with the CRS+'s? Or could it be the differences in the rooms/environments the speakers are being used in?
    ie: CRS+ listening room vs. 2.3 listening room.

Personally, I would be more inclined to believe this is the difference you're hearing. It doesn't make me right, but I am a bit familiar with both of these SDAs.