2»

Comments

• audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited April 2012
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Look at all the B&K haters.

Yea because that's the only way you'll know if you've found something good or not :/ Their were a lot of great movies that didn't do well at the box office.

My point is people need to sack up and form their own opinions. Hate it or love it, at least YOU tried it.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I've owned a good amount of amps - Emotiva XPA-2, Emotiva UPA-2, B&K 200.2 S2, Carver TFM-45, NAD C272, Adcom GFA 545, and a few more I'm forgetting about...

I would literally beg ANYONE to make sure you have your upstream electronics taken care of before you start auditioning amps. I'm in the camp that would say they all sound very similar. My next amp will be the Emotiva UPA-1 mono's with some Dynaudio bookies. I would EASILY recommend any amp from Emotiva. I think the guys who hear anything harsh or shrill from Emo amps desperately WANT to hear it for any number of reasons. I will say that I didn't like the Emo XDA-1 DAC because it had a sound that I didn't like but a price that I did.

You gotta start trying gear on your own and form your own opinions about different companies.

and most of this gear you owned for a matter of a couple weeks, hardly enough time to make an informed, comprehensive opinion. It takes at least a few months of evaluation and critical listening. It's funny that you think Emo amps are great but the DAC wasn't. Emo has a house sound that is very similar across all their piece of gear. Is Emo gear flat out bad? Nope, but compared to other higher end brands it comes up short.

B&K everyday and twice on Sundays...........FTW.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Yea because that's the only way you'll know if you've found something good or not :/ Their were a lot of great movies that didn't do well at the box office.

My point is people need to sack up and form their own opinions. Hate it or love it, at least YOU tried it.

Your absolutely correct, one needs to try different gear to see what floats their boat. But, on the flip side of that, and more to Brocks point, remember the thread on the guy who auditioned the LSI9's and put them on top of his RTI12's ? Then said he didn't like them.

You have to play with a piece of gear for some time to truely evaluate it. Make sure the source is up to snuff, IC cables, letting it warm up first, etc. It's been my experience anyway when it comes to amps, that the quality of the connecting cable is just as important and can change the sound by no small measure. Everything works in harmony and you have to be willing also to make an attempt to find that harmony when changeing out pieces of gear. In the end it still may not be right for you or your system and thats OK, then you just move on.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • audiocr381ve
    edited April 2012
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    and most of this gear you owned for a matter of a couple weeks, hardly enough time to make an informed, comprehensive opinion. It takes at least a few months of evaluation and critical listening. It's funny that you think Emo amps are great but the DAC wasn't. Emo has a house sound that is very similar across all their piece of gear. Is Emo gear flat out bad? Nope, but compared to other higher end brands it comes up short.

B&K everyday and twice on Sundays...........FTW.

H9

I'll say it again, oh holy one, all I need is a few weeks of a test drive to know if I like a car or not. I don't need several gosh damn months.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Amateur.

You didn't even keep the same associated gear when trying all those amps. How is possible to compare them all and make an informed evalutation if you're just being a schizophrenic gear swapper? Leads to very little credibility and why I dismiss most of what you observe.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • bobsauto49
    bobsauto49 Posts: 973
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I'm no Emo hater,in fact i thought their amp was good/price! I just find the B&K to be better! Now i dont know if a 2ch amp sounds different than a 5ch amp,and I dont think i'll be finding out anytime soon either!
    "Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"
  • audiocr381ve
    edited April 2012
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Amateur.

You didn't even keep the same associated gear when trying all those amps. How is possible to compare them all and make an informed evalutation if you're just being a schizophrenic gear swapper? Leads to very little credibility and why I dismiss most of what you observe.

H9

Good. Fine. I'm okay with that.

At the end of the day, I've still owned a lot of gear and still have pieces that haven't been rotated which have been used at almost every evaluation. Like I said, I'm perfectly fine with being an amateur. I have no desire to drop the kind of time, effort, and money the way some do. I'm an average listener with a music background who doesn't need your stamp of approval for my opinions that come from my own experience nor do I need to provide records of exactly how I've formed them.

What are you, the audio IRS or something? Nobody's being misinformed, just offering up personal experience. You need to start being okay with people doing that.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited April 2012
    Options
    After i got my ML Vista's in the rig I just decided I really need a new amp. Others say the emo is ok but when you have everything on the high end with the emo amp then you really notice how bad it is, or at least I have. I find the sound to be harsh and thin but at the same time the top end lacks detail. I always thought bright was too much top end but after living with the 5 ch emo in the rig I think once I recover from buying the Vista speakers then I will be going for a B&K mono block 2 ch setup and for multi ch amps i will be looking into theta intrepid's or some Halcro's

The B&K mono's are 250w @8ohm and sell for $450 to $550 a piece
  • audiocr381ve
    edited April 2012
    Options
    After i got my ML Vista's in the rig I just decided I really need a new amp. Others say the emo is ok but when you have everything on the high end with the emo amp then you really notice how bad it is, or at least I have. I find the sound to be harsh and thin but at the same time the top end lacks detail. I always thought bright was too much top end but after living with the 5 ch emo in the rig I think once I recover from buying the Vista speakers then I will be going for a B&K mono block 2 ch setup and for multi ch amps i will be looking into theta intrepid's or some Halcro's

The B&K mono's are 250w @8ohm and sell for $450 to $550 a piece

Good, glad you have your own experience to share.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Good, glad you have your own experience to share.

Well its all subjective and personal taste in the end. no one is wrong and everyone is right :smile:
  • audiocr381ve
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Well its all subjective and personal taste in the end. no one is wrong and everyone is right :smile:

No, their are definitely absolutes. Problem is most people are absolutely crazy.
  • Monster Jam
    Monster Jam Posts: 919
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Bingo! On this forum after making a statement like that you'll have to turn in your "audiophile" card! LOL!:razz::razz:

Yeah - I realized on this message board that I was never "up to snuff" to be cut out as an audiophile. But I still like ClubPolk forums; I get good information and opinion mixed in with, well, bad information and opinion.
    Do you hear that buzzing noise? :confused:
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Why don't we put it this way. Some people like a particular sound. I prefer the warmth of tubes, if not tubes a warm sounding SS like B&K or Carver, or my Exposure which I have had for many years now.

If I wanted a more sterile or neutral sound I would go Rotel, NAD, Parasound (Which can also be warm) or Adcom.

If I wanted a more house sound or in your face sound I would get another Emo or run my stuff off a Receiver. I do not like that type of sound and yes I did try it for almost a year with different speakers (SDA's, EPI, Advent, AR and others) and it never gave me what I wanted. It doesn't make it the worst gear out there but it isn't for me.

To the OP, if you are happy than good on you. If the Emo is the sound your looking for I would suggest you listen and be happy. If you would like to try something along that line of sound that may not be so in your face go for a Rotel or Parasound amp. You won't be disappointed.
  • Tankman
    Tankman Posts: 419
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I will say this i have not owned a B&K amp,but from what i have read and seen whats inside them amps they are killer amps!But they come with a Killer price too!New that is,but they can be had for about 1200 used for mono's.I would try one out if the price is right and the deal is real.
  • tonyb
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Tank,
    You can find used B&K amps, 2 even 3 channel for the same price as a used adcom, 5-700 buck range for one in good condition. Maybe less depending. Keep your eyes open buddy boy, they sell quick.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Tankman
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Tonyb..yes i have been looking at them B&K amps mono block for sometime now.I like what i have been reading on them.They have some really Big Balls!They are really not that high in price for new.I found some for about 1495 new each and i am looking into these real hard.Also the Specs on them are killer too.Thanks Tonyb for the heads up on them.
  • bobsauto49
    bobsauto49 Posts: 973
    edited April 2012
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Tank,
    You can find used B&K amps, 2 even 3 channel for the same price as a used adcom, 5-700 buck range for one in good condition. Maybe less depending. Keep your eyes open buddy boy, they sell quick.
    I was looking for about a month! Tonyb is right! If u find them,grab em,cause they dont last long on the used market! Especially in good condition.(i.e. not all scratched up!) The Reference 2220 is a 220w/ch x2 amp,that is going between $450-600,depending on condition! I had no problem with that price! Problem is finding them! My guess is people who have them,just dont want to get rid of them! Patience, is a virtue!!!
    "Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"
  • tonyb
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Not just B&K, as there are alot of good amps out there used for the budget minded. People hold on to quality pieces because to replace with new of the same or better quality will cost considerably more.
    Look at the Belles... Dan, Oldfatdogs, picked up. Good musical amp that took his listening pleasure up a notch or two. No substitute for quality guys, seek it out, you'll be glad you did.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Joe08867 wrote:
    If I wanted a more sterile or neutral sound I would go Rotel, NAD, Parasound (Which can also be warm) or Adcom.

Of these I would certainly not classify Rotel and NAD as sterile. Neutral to warm maybe...but not sterile.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Slinger182
    Slinger182 Posts: 512
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I picked up my B&K 3 x 200wpc for $350 on the Gon a month ago. I love they way it sounds for music and HT.
    Panny 55-st30 plasma
    Pioneer vsx-1121
    Parasound 2100 pre
    b&k tx4430 amp
    Oppo bdp-83
    Monster HTS 3500
    polk TSi500s Vr3 Fortress modded
    polk CS20 center channel Vr3 Castle modded
    polk Owm 3 surrounds
    polk PSW505
  • Tankman
    edited April 2012
    Options
    shack wrote: »
    Of these I would certainly not classify Rotel and NAD as sterile. Neutral to warm maybe...but not sterile.
    ...As for in the amp "Sterile"?Like an Onkyo sound?Which by the way i find ok...but not for me.Not as much of a finer Mid-too upper Mid range sound like say a Carver or an Emo monoblock.From what i have been reading up on the B&K,Rotel or the Parasound have that more defined sound in the Mids too upper Mids with a (warm) sound too them.I have been looking into the B&K amp(monoblocks)because of there "robust"sound.I had a Onky amp back in the day and it was ok for Rockin the house down "Sterile"in your face kickass amp.Which i call the "Japanese" sound.No pune intened on the "Japanese" just a peraphase.Japanese know the way of the Samari!..
  • Hawkeye
    Hawkeye Posts: 1,313
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I sold a 2220 a couple years ago in the market. A very fine 2 channel amp. I still have 7250 in my HT going on 18 years without a hiccup.

If your into it, McIntosh and B&K have a very similar sound. Maybe it's the New York attitude? I was very happy with the B&K and would be my second choice in amps, before they were my first!!

Gordon
    2 Channel -
    Martin Logan Spire, 2 JL Audio F112 subs
    McIntosh C1000 Controller with Tube pre amp, 2 MC501 amplifiers, MD1K Transport & DAC, MR-88 Tuner
    WireWorld Eclipse 6.0 speaker wire and jumpers, Eclipse 5^2 Squared Balanced IC's. Silver Eclipse PCs (5)
    Symposium Rollerblocks 2+ (16)Black Diamond Racing Mk 3 pits (8)
  • Kris404
    Kris404 Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Hi all,

Just bought a B&K 200.7 for my setup this evening. Was told 'twas a showroom demo amp. Heard it there first and I was sold right away. Is $1400 a good price?

Kris
    Monitor: Pioneer Elite PRO-141FD KURO Signature Series 1080p 60"
    Receiver: Onkyo HT-RC270
    Amplifier: B&K Reference 200.7
    Front: Polk RTi A9
    Center: Polk CSi A6
    Surround: Polk FXi A6 (Dipole)
    Surround Back: Polk FXi A6 (Bipole)
    Subwoofer: HSU VTF-15H
    Source 1: XBMC 11.0 Eden via Mac Pro (nVIDIA GT430 HDMI 1.4a)
    Source 2: Apple TV (3rd Generation)
    Room: 16'W x 27'L x 9'H
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Since you have already bought it, it shouln't matter. The amp will last for years to come so you won't have to buy another one for quite some time and through all other upgrades to your system. Sit back and enjoy it.

Welcome o Club Polk.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2