B&K vs Emotiva

Options
bobsauto49
bobsauto49 Posts: 973
edited April 2012 in Electronics
I recently purchased a used B&K reference 2220 for my 2ch listening pleasure. I was previously running a Emotiva XPA-5 and I wanted to compare the two in sound.
These are the only two amps that I have heard besides my onk tx-sr876 (which is no slouch on its own)
The emotiva amp was my first and a substantial improvement over my onk by itself. When I hooked up the B&K I was pleasantly suprised. I have heard from others on the forum that there was going to be an improvement, but had to hear it for myself. The emotiva in my mind is a good amp for the money, but the B&K is a complete step forward.
After hooking up the B&K and listening to my usual songs I noticed a large improvement in the soundstage. The music could be heard higher and wider. I could also listen louder with more clarity. The B&K is definitely not as bright as the emotiva, much smoother,laid back,which is something i was looking for!It matches very well with the KEF's! I usually listen at loud levels,about 74-77 on my onk/emotiva,before it started to sound muddy. But the B&k let me go to 82-85(depending on the song)without breaking a sweat! The only reason i didnt go any farther is because my Q900's were reaching their lower limits! WOW! Looks like i'll be selling the Emo,as i feel anytime I want to watch movies my Onk can handle the center and surrounds.
Thanx for some great advice from some fellow Polkie's! It helped make this latest purchase well worthwhile! I've only had 3 days with this amp,but it looks like the begining of long beautiful relationship! Good Day, Rob
"Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"
Post edited by bobsauto49 on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Glad your diggin' it bro. B&k is my first choice when coupled with brighter sounding speakers. Keep listening, you'll find it to be more musical than most with an airy top end and solid lower end. You'd have to spend alot more coin to do better. That amp will last you many a speaker upgrades. Enjoy the tunes.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I totally agree with you,

I had the Emo 5 and picked up a B&K AV 5000 2 from a nice fellow on this forum. After listening to both for a while I sold iEmo along with the Tsi series speakers as I had upgraded to the Rti a's.

I didn't mind the Emo but the guy who purchased the Tsi's really wanted the Emo and IMHO the B&K sounds warmer less shrill then the Emo.

Cheers Roger
  • bobsauto49
    edited April 2012
    Options
    LOL Tony,If my wife has any of her way,there wont be anymore speaker upgrades!:rolleyes: But like steveinaz said, Fullbody massages,and jewlery,just may do the trick!
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Fullbody massages,and jewlery,just may do the trick!

Works every time!!!!!
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited April 2012
    Options
    When you say the b&k is warmer, does that mean its missing any details in the highs ?
  • bobsauto49
    edited April 2012
    Options
    When you say the b&k is warmer, does that mean its missing any details in the highs ?

Not at all!! If anything it took the harshness out of the highs to make them even better/more pronounced! Keep in mind i listen at high volumes most of the times! And the KEF's just flat out sparkle in the high's!
  • tonyb
    edited April 2012
    Options

Absolutely not....all the detail is there, just has a better flow with more air around the notes. It really is a damn good amp and used even better bang for your buck.

Hey Bob, it also helps if your blessed....uh....down there too.:cheesygrin::cheesygrin::cheesygrin:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • bobsauto49
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Guess i got the short stick in that area! Pun fully intended!:cry: :redface: :cheesygrin:
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Glad you found one you like. I got my first amp a couple weeks ago. B & K as well. Don't have anything to compare it to other than the HK, but I sure do like it so far. Used it with M70's for a week, and now the LSi15's for one day.

Good for us!
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • bobsauto49
    edited April 2012
    Options
    ^ GGGGIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDYYYYYYYY UP!:cheesygrin:^
  • bobsauto49
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I did some critical listenig on other cd's i own tonight,and this thing is amazing! I thought i was in hog heaven with the Emotiva,but this thing is incredible compared to what i've heard before!
    I've bought different cables for the ic's,then for the speakers,and this is by far the biggest improvement i've made in 2ch listening!
    I'm sure alot of people aroud here already think; no chit! when lookin at my old amp,(my 1st) but it just sounds so different/ amazing to me!
    Sorry for sounding so youthfully excited,but i am!:cheesygrin: Good Day! Rob
  • Monster Jam
    Monster Jam Posts: 919
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Cant help but think what the B&K might sound like compared to Emo's 2 channel amp.
    Do you hear that buzzing noise? :confused:
  • bobsauto49
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Do you think the 2ch Emo sounds different than the 5ch emo,when the 5ch emo I own was being driven in pure audio mode by my Onkyo? Just curious.
  • mole'
    mole' Posts: 3,160
    edited April 2012
    Options
    i always liked the EMO amp sounds.

had it power my 2.3 TLs, whole LSi system and my RTi10s
    mole'
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Are you running a sub Bob?
  • bobsauto49
    edited April 2012
    Options
    No sub. I listen to 2ch on my onk in pure audio mode/the Q900's. They pump out enough bass on there own for me!
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited April 2012
    Options
    bobsauto49 wrote: »
    Sorry for sounding so youthfully excited,but i am!:cheesygrin: Good Day! Rob

I'm right there with ya, Rob.

Loving mine with the 15's.

With the 70's, I realized how much a quality amp really pulls out of your speakers.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • bobsauto49
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Hey mole,have you ever heard a B&K amp?
  • mole'
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Hey mole,have you ever heard a B&K amp?

ya, i had one and sold it when i got my EMO amp
    mole'
  • bobsauto49
    edited April 2012
    Options
    You liked the emo better?
  • bobsauto49
    edited April 2012
    Options
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    I'm right there with ya, Rob.

Loving mine with the 15's.

With the 70's, I realized how much a quality amp really pulls out of your speakers.
    Thanx hoc! Enjoy the music!
  • mole'
    edited April 2012
    Options
    You liked the emo better?

well i guess i did if i sold the B&K
    mole'
  • tonyb
    edited April 2012
    Options
    That would be a first, not even a comparison in my book, but hey to each his own.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • bobsauto49
    edited April 2012
    Options
    And thats great! Didnt mean to be obtuse!
    Thats why some like Chev's,and some like Dodge's!
  • mole'
    edited April 2012
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    That would be a first, not even a comparison in my book, but hey to each his own.

i have not heard a lot of different setups. when i first joined i heard most saying the EMO amps are not so good. but i heard one that a local had and i liked it. so i picked it up and have been a fan of EMO gear since then. i have had a few nicer AMPs like the Cinenova Grade 5 and the Adcom 5802. but i still like the EMO. im not knocking anything from B&K. im sure they have great gear.
    And thats great! Didnt mean to be obtuse!
    Thats why some like Chev's,and some like Dodge's!

same here.

Mopar and Chevy guy here. i dislike anything from FORD.
    mole'
  • Tankman
    Tankman Posts: 419
    edited April 2012
    Options
    mole' wrote: »
    i always liked the EMO amp sounds.

had it power my 2.3 TLs, whole LSi system and my RTi10s
    Same here mole..I like my UPA-1's a lot with my LSi-15's.But i do agree with the others in here.I have not owned any B&K amps or any others but Cavers amps.The Ole Timers in here have some really nice gear like F1nut,h9,Tonyb and others, these guys really know the insides and outs on lots of great gear and they have help me out a lot just by reading their posts in here.Much respect too these guys i have.It like everone has said before B&K from what i have read they are really good amps and one day would like too try one out just too see?Thanks Guys! good reads in here!
  • Monster Jam
    Monster Jam Posts: 919
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Do you think the 2ch Emo sounds different than the 5ch emo,when the 5ch emo I own was being driven in pure audio mode by my Onkyo? Just curious.

I don't know, but its one of their "reference" amplifiers and its tech specs are far superior to the XPA5 in most regards. I'd like to hear an Emo. I have a Sunfire 200x5 and an Adcom GFA-555, but am STILL considering getting an Emo just to settle the drama in my own mind. If I see one on craigslist here locally, its mine.

I have a suspicion that, with all prejudices set aside, I might not be able to tell the difference between it and the other amps.
    Do you hear that buzzing noise? :confused:
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,005
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I have a suspicion that, with all prejudices set aside, I might not be able to tell the difference between it and the other amps.

Bingo! On this forum after making a statement like that you'll have to turn in your "audiophile" card! LOL!:razz::razz:
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I've owned a good amount of amps - Emotiva XPA-2, Emotiva UPA-2, B&K 200.2 S2, Carver TFM-45, NAD C272, Adcom GFA 545, and a few more I'm forgetting about...

I would literally beg ANYONE to make sure you have your upstream electronics taken care of before you start auditioning amps. I'm in the camp that would say they all sound very similar. My next amp will be the Emotiva UPA-1 mono's with some Dynaudio bookies. I would EASILY recommend any amp from Emotiva. I think the guys who hear anything harsh or shrill from Emo amps desperately WANT to hear it for any number of reasons. I will say that I didn't like the Emo XDA-1 DAC because it had a sound that I didn't like but a price that I did.

You gotta start trying gear on your own and form your own opinions about different companies.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Look at all the B&K haters.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk