Polk Audio Monitor 70 Speakers Refurbs

Options
ez1dog2
ez1dog2 Posts: 7
edited March 2012 in Forum Testing Area
Hello to everyone.This is my second day on the forum.I've been looking everywhere for monitor 70's and I resently found them on e-bay at a very good price.Only thing is they are factory refurb from polk audio.They also come with a two year warranty,which helped me pull the trigger and order them.Jus wondered if any posters have them and their opinion of them.Thanks in advance.
Post edited by ez1dog2 on

Comments

• Oldfatdogs
    Oldfatdogs Posts: 1,874
    edited March 2012
    Options
    hello ez1dog2,I have the monitor 70s.I think they are a great speaker for the money.The ebay polk site gets good comments all the time.From one Dog to another welcome and enjoy your speakers.
  • ez1dog2
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Thanks F-Dog.Looking foward to these speakers.I'll pair it with a denon 1612.Like to get some feedback on this item.Later.
  • Esreuter
    Esreuter Posts: 176
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I'll add. I have the monitor line.
    Love them.
    Also heard nothing but good things about Polk direct.
    And they have warranty.

Esr
    AVR: Sony 5600ES
    Center: CS2II (Clarity Caps PX, Perfect Lay coil, Mundorf resistors)
    Front: Monitor 70 II (Clarity Caps PX, Perfect Lay coils, Mundorf resistors)
    Surrounds: Monitor 40 II (Clarity Caps PX, Perfect Lay coil, Mundorf resistors)
    Rear Surrounds: Monitor 40 II (Clarity Caps PX, Perfect Lay coil, Mundorf resistors)

More to come :biggrin:
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,147
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I'll third it. Monitor70's, great speaker for that price. Been loving 'em for a couple of years.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited March 2012
    Options
    The monitor series is a good place to get your feet wet. That's where I am right now, and I am very much enjoying it. You can find really good prices on the whole line if you're patient. Add a CS2 for a center and either the M40's or 30's for surrounds.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • ez1dog2
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I'm looking to add a good small center.Something that will fit on the shelf under my lcd.It'Will update laters got at best a 6in. clearance.Checking into the polk rm7's and their tl1 centers.Their priced around or just over $100.00.Will update later.Thanks for the input guys.
  • hertz9753
    hertz9753 Posts: 310
    edited March 2012
    Options
    ez1dog2 wrote: »
    I'm looking to add a good small center.Something that will fit on the shelf under my lcd.It'Will update laters got at best a 6in. clearance.Checking into the polk rm7's and their tl1 centers.Their priced around or just over $100.00.Will update later.Thanks for the input guys.

I would go without a center for now.
    AVR-Onkyo TX-NR808
    Front amp-Adcom GFA 555>Polk Audio LSi9's(Vr3 Castle Mods)
    Center amp-Adcom GFA 5400>Polk Audio LSi9 bi-wired(Vr3 Castle Mod)
    Surrounds-Polk Audio F/X500's<Onkyo TX-NR808
    Sub-Velodyne SPL-1000R
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,147
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Yeah, no center might be the best advice over skimping with a much smaller one than the CS2.

It's too bad space is an issue, but I have a feeling you'll end up regretting having one of those you mentioned. Not only will it not be timbre matched, but most likely will struggle to keep up with the M70's.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    Yeah, no center might be the best advice over skimping with a much smaller one than the CS2.

It's too bad space is an issue, but I have a feeling you'll end up regretting having one of those you mentioned. Not only will it not be timbre matched, but most likely will struggle to keep up with the M70's.

Agreed...I even had the CS1 and it wasn't up to snuff with the 70's.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • ez1dog2
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Ok when they come I'll try them without a center speaker.Still does anyone own the 70 refurb?
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Have you heard the M-70s? You seem too concerned over the refurb issue. Two year guarantee, and probably mint condition. And if you don't know it yet, Polk Customer Service is one of the very "best" in the business. You couldn't be in "better" hands. So lean back and enjoy your speakers. Nothing at all to worry about here, except what they sound like if you "haven't" heard them.

You're good! Really!

Also, you posted this thread in the Testing area of the forum which means that it doesn't help up your "post" count. If you notice the post count remains at 2 even though you have twice that many posts in this thread?

Lots of people here have bought Polk's refurbs including the M-70s. And if no one steps forward on that, you can provide us with a review of what you think of the refurbs for future posters like yourself. After all, this is also a data base for new (and old) members!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • hertz9753
    hertz9753 Posts: 310
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I bought my LSi9's, CS2 and a CSR from Polk Direct as refurbs. They all looked brand new.
    AVR-Onkyo TX-NR808
    Front amp-Adcom GFA 555>Polk Audio LSi9's(Vr3 Castle Mods)
    Center amp-Adcom GFA 5400>Polk Audio LSi9 bi-wired(Vr3 Castle Mod)
    Surrounds-Polk Audio F/X500's<Onkyo TX-NR808
    Sub-Velodyne SPL-1000R
  • ez1dog2
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Thanks for your solid advice cnh.I'll post a review after they arrive.They shipped today.