New to the Forum

Options
Charlie51
Charlie51 Posts: 13
edited March 2012 in Forum Testing Area
Hi,

I'm new to the forum as of yesterday. This looks like great and very informative site. Posted a couple of questions and looking to upgrade my Polks and add a center for the system in the LR.

I've had quite a variety of systems. My first system was waiting for me right after I returned home from the army in 1972. While in VN I ordered a JVC Tuner, JVC 4-Channel amp/equalizer(very new at the time), Pioneer turntable, and four CS(?) Pioneer Round furniture style speakers from the PACEX(?) catalog. It was a very nice setup at the time.

Over the years I've had JBL, Wharfedale, Polk, Bose, Pioneer, and KLH speakers. Receivers/AVR's included JVC, Marrantz, Sansui, Sony, Yamaha, and Onkyo. Also had a pair of extremely large Heil speaker/horns mated to a mcintosh amp/equalizer that really rocked at parties...

LR setup:
Onkyo AVR
LG 55" 3D LED
LG Bluray
Polk 4.5's

BD setup:
Marrantz 2230
KLH Platinum
Post edited by Charlie51 on

Comments

• Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Welcome aboard.

Looking to upgrade is a relative term around here. Look and listen, then be prepared to spend most of your money.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • specd_out
    specd_out Posts: 505
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I live not far from you.
    HT Rig Samsung 64F8500 |Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD|Pioneer Elite VSX-32| Two Carver TFM-15cb Bridged for mains|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15 Heights|Polk Audio FXia6 Surround|DIY 8cuft Dayton Ultimax 15" powered with a Crown XLS1000
    2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1BillD Mod|Carver M1.0t MkII Opt2|Pro-ject RM 1.3|SpeedBox S|AQ King Cobras|AQ Rocket88|
    ISF Level 2 Certified Calibrator
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited March 2012
    Options
  • specd_out
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I see your looking to buy sageleos csi3. I have one for sale (not as cheap as sageleos). If his is sold I would be will to make a deal for a local polkie
    HT Rig Samsung 64F8500 |Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD|Pioneer Elite VSX-32| Two Carver TFM-15cb Bridged for mains|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15 Heights|Polk Audio FXia6 Surround|DIY 8cuft Dayton Ultimax 15" powered with a Crown XLS1000
    2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1BillD Mod|Carver M1.0t MkII Opt2|Pro-ject RM 1.3|SpeedBox S|AQ King Cobras|AQ Rocket88|
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk, stick around you will learn a lot!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Welcome to CP and thank you for your service.

What percent ht and music?

Which is priority?

Budget?
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk ! I hope you enjoy your stay. Cheers. :cool:
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Welcome Charlie.
    Port Richie eh....spent many a day there golfing, eating, and laughing my arse off in the strip clubs around there and Tampa.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    edited March 2012
    Options
  • byfthalone
    byfthalone Posts: 345
    edited March 2012
    Options
  • unclebiskabobka
    unclebiskabobka Posts: 109
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Welcome!
    TV - LG 42" LED
    Receiver - Pioneer VSX-521
    Front speakers - Polk Monitor 40's Series II
    Center - Polk Monitor CS1 Series II
    Surround - Polk Audio OWM3
    Subwoofer - JBL L8400P

"I was born with music inside me. Music was one of my parts. Like my ribs, my kidneys, my liver, my heart. Like my blood. It was a force already within me when I arrived on the scene. It was a necessity for me-like food or water."

~Ray Charles~
  • specd_out
    edited March 2012
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    and laughing my arse off in the strip clubs around there and Tampa.

I lol'd at that
  • Charlie51
    Charlie51 Posts: 13
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Wifey won't allow me in strip clubs, although I 'hear' the better ones are in Tampa, and can't hit a golf ball further than I can throw it. Like to cruise once in a while and try to get out fishing when I have the time...

We probably spend about 80% of the time HT, 20% music.

My wife has been complaining that she couldn't hear dialog on the TV speakers or the fronts with the HT on (neither one of us can hear that well after 30-40 Rock and Country concerts). I purchased the Csi3 from sageleos yesterday to help with that and plan to get a couple of newer speakers in the near future. Our LR is about 17X17 with a 16' vaulted ceiling and laminate floor. She doesn't want large speakers so I'll probably look for a couple of bookshelf polks to replace the Monitor 4.5 pair. Maybe Rti6's... I plan to research a bit on this site to make sure I get a good match. Great site!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Charlie,
    Voices on movies are a problem to some, partly because of the way some movies are mixed, and partly because old farts like us have a harder time hearing the softer passages. Keep in mind you can always boost the center channel level in the receiver too if you find it too soft.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Stilly74
    Stilly74 Posts: 194
    edited March 2012
    Options
  • gwg_97
    gwg_97 Posts: 332
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Welcome. This site has a great group of very knowledgeable people. Enjoy!

System 1:Nakamichi PA-7Kenwood Basic C2Polk SDA 1C moddedSystem 2:Dynaco ST-70Polk Monitor 5B modded
  • Tankman
    Tankman Posts: 419
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Welcome!..Great place too hang out in.If not for me hangin out here i would have never found that link to a great deal on LSi 15's.