Bel Canto amps

Options
Steve@3dai
Steve@3dai Posts: 983
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Has anyone ever had any experience with Bel Canto Designs amps?

http://www.belcantodesign.com/index2.html

They look unbelievable!! Digital amps are the way to go, I think personally.

- Steve
LSi 9/C/FX
Arcam AVR-200
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Look very cool, and pricey
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Steve-They look and very interesting. Might be the wave of the future. Thanks for the post.
    Chris :)
  • Steve@3dai
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Keep in mind these run so cool they don't need heatsinks :)

You can put your hand on the chip without worry.

Some monoblocks allow you to cook eggs off of them ;) hahaha

- Steve
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I haven't listened to them, but the EVo 200.2 is on my short list of amps once I'm ready to make a purchase (AKA have more money). That amp has gotten some good reviews by Stereophile and SoundStage (I think). It definitely is unique.

Aaron
  • Steve@3dai
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of tube amps, so this would fit my bill perfectly. Kinda funny how they are the complete opposite of tube, digital and non-hot ;)

Now I just gotta muster up $1600 for the two channel version ;) hahahaha riiiiight

- Steve
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Digital amps are supposed to be very high efficency. They state 90%. Typical amps are only 60%. That 40% difference is all heat that is being disapated. The basic idea of the digital amp is that there are several logic steps rather than two logic steps like most digital equipment. They use what is called an H driver if you are interested in finding out how it works. The H driver circuits are normally used for motor control. My take on the whole thing is that in it's most basic form it is a lesser design than mosfets from a fidelity standpoint but far outclasses them for power efficiency. In the past they were used only for low frequency audio designs such as subwoofers because there were problems making them work well at higher frequencies because of sampling rates and such. It is very cheap for the designer to create huge power outputs. The first drivers were made to operate at low frequencies to drive motors. Sounds like they are more refined now but I would be surprised if the sound is equal to typical mosfet designs. When you go to a digital type format to replace an analog one you normally give up some good properties to achieve others. It would be interesting to compare because some aspects will be much better and others will be much worse. Certainly if you want maximum power at maximum efficency and lowest cost this has more potential than anything else. (so long as the tone is there)
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D