Matrix Revolutions!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I agree 100% with the WSR review I posted above. PQ and SQ were awesome on my rig and in my room - YMMV of course.

I watched it at -2 Reference Level. I thought the LFE was just fabulous - there is a ton of infrasonics present on this soundtrack.

PQ and SQ get a 9.5+/10 on my system - this is a reference DVD IMO. The movie itself was "OK", but not great - I give it maybe 7/10 at best.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I want to thank everyone that has posted their opinions on this movie. Seems that the consensus is that #3 isn't really any better than #2. With that in mind, perhaps not even worth a rental fee.

I agree with those of you that feel that everything went south after the end credits of the first movie. Reloaded was one long CGI fight scene with very little plot development. I barely made it through Reloaded.

Hmmm, now I need to figure out what else may be worth watching instead.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by danger boy
    i too was surprised that some of the major boomers were somewhat restrained.. the SVS just didn't get much of a workout for a good part of the movie.

I agree. On some of those collisions I was bracing myself for the bass to hit, but it never does. Its like they took the time to make the graphics for the impacts, but left out the bass. :-( I'd provide some specific examples, but I'm at work.

Regards,
    PolkThug

**EDIT** Need to turn up my main volume on this DVD.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I thought the LFE was just killer in this movie. Extremely deep and powerful bass. Many scenes at or below 20 Hz. Just fabulous room shaking power.

Much better than Reloaded, which was largely a bunch of non-descript 30-35 Hz stuff (although the Hammer ship rescue was excellent with lots of 22 Hz stuff).

And I'm not running my sub hot - 85 speakers / 83 sub with Avia. But I did run playback pretty loud at -2RL. I was probably getting clean, articulate SPL peaks of 110-115 dB (corrected) at the seat in the 20-25 Hz region.

I'll run out of superlatives before I can say enough good things about the PB2-Ultra - it simply defies description; it's flat out scary how good this sub is. Last night it transported us directly in the heart of the battle for Zion - it was really breathtaking - Home Theater at its finest.

SVS
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Good to hear Doc. I've got this movie in the DVD closet still in shrinkwarp waiting for Saturday night.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited April 2004
    Options
    im with doc on this one, i just watched it again, and theres tons of bass. the parts that really stood out were the hammer flying through the mechanical line and the apu's walking around. the fight before the club, and the music in the club is pretty cool too.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    I thought the LFE was just killer in this movie. Extremely deep and powerful bass. Many scenes at or below 20 Hz. Just fabulous room shaking power.

Much better than Reloaded, which was largely a bunch of non-descript 30-35 Hz stuff (although the Hammer ship rescue was excellent with lots of 22 Hz stuff).

Doc,
    100% in agreement with you! I don't know if my SC REL Speakon cable upgrade helps it or this movie is so full of LFE , but it has so much energy down there that my sofa is rumbling. This is definitely a reference movie to test the presence of LFE...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited April 2004
    Options
    http://bass.jawmail.org/index.php?p=matrix_revolutions

Take a look at the first water explosion waterfall - a huge hit at 8-11 Hz!

Water explosion #2 - a big 18 Hz hit.

The Main Title - another huge hit below 10 Hz.

MANY other scenes in the 15 Hz region not shown here.

SVS
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2004
    Options
    thanks, Doc! I will watch it again with a SPL tomorrow, this is impressive!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • PolkThug
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Okay, I think I found my problem. In my previous posts I was bitchin about not enough bass. Since Doc is always right, and others of you concur about there being some good hard bass, I gave this movie a second shot. I had some friends over Friday night and popped the movie in and set the Onkyo volume to where I always do for my reference (i use 75db). Hmmm, doesn't seem very loud. Looks like I have the same problem TechChallenged noticed. I turned the volume up 3-4 more clicks. Yay, bass!

So basically, this is the opposite of Underworld, in which I turn my stereo down 10 clicks.

I feel much better now, my whole problem was that I just needed to adjust the main volume. (yeah, I'm still a newb)

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • kingkip
    kingkip Posts: 401
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I liked the trilogy, but am probably the only one who thought the second was better than the third. But what I was really wondering was how anyone let the Jesus comments by Sid
    go?!
    Jesus wasnt married, therefore he did not have sex.

Jesus was around 30 when he was crucified, and we are still thinking he didn't get laid? Damn that would suck.

happy Easter!
    There are two ways to argue with women. Both of them are wrong.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by kingkip
    I liked the trilogy, but am probably the only one who thought the second was better than the third.

Oh my no, I thought the third was terrible compared to the second. And the second compared to the first was horrible. Therefore, the third compared to the first, a complete embarassment. You are not alone.
  • PolkThug
    edited April 2004
    Options
    What if the second and the third would have been originally released as just one 4 hour movie? I bet a lot of people would think that it was kick ****.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by PolkThug
    I liked the booming voice of the head machine.

I'm not sure if you remember the Sun hanging on my wall Toby, but I had to remove it long before this scene:D

I like to run Hot then adjust to my liking... reference smeference:p but it is a good baseline. I like preserving the foundation of my house!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Shizelbs
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by PolkThug
    What if the second and the third would have been originally released as just one 4 hour movie? I bet a lot of people would think that it was kick ****.

I would've thought, damnit, why couldn't I have wasted my time in two smaller installments.
  • Loud &amp; Clear
    Loud &amp; Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Awful movie, on par with the second.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • Ron-P
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Enjoyable movie, much better then the second, not quite as good as the first. But, enough story to keep me entertained with some good action.

The dd track was excellent. Very envelopeing with a soild bass track. The "big voice" and the scene when Smith slammed Neo into the pavement and shortly there after was some of the strongest bass I've ever felt. Also, when the machines broke into Zion for the first time. Damn this movie had some kick-**** low-end bass that just vibrated the hell out of everything.

I concur with Docs bass review on this film, excellent, excellent low-end. Much better then the muddy-mess of Reloaded. Some great clothes moving bass. I love-it.

My only question. Who was the little girl, the next Oracle?
    If...
  • Shizelbs
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Holy cow! I just watched the action scenes (APUs and Smith fighting scene). What a magnificant use of sound! The surround effects were incredible. This movie has been the best example of great use of surrounds that I have experienced yet. Just incredible. The bass was fabulous as well. I only wish I had a real sub that could pick up the very low stuff. Marvelous.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Well although i hated it in the theater...looks like I'll be checking this out due to the sound...
  • movieguy
    movieguy Posts: 64
    edited April 2004
    Options
    i pride myself on my ability to figure things out on my own , but can someone please explain what the hell happened in the end . what was won in the end ??
  • Ron-P
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Here you go, Reloaded and Revolutions explained.

http://wylfing.net/essays/index.html
    If...
  • movieguy
    movieguy Posts: 64
    edited April 2004
    Options
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I liked it a lot, but damn it!!! Damn it all to hell!!!

DAMN!!!

I was watching it really getting into it. Loving how the whole movie was flowing. Then Trin, Morph, and the Chinese dude enter the club and go up and talk to Frenchie!! Yeah here we go I just heard some kick **** bass in the music, I know some huge **** is gonna follow in the next ninty minutes....DAMN IT!!! Here comes the wife...oh no....here comes the oldest son.....damn it I know whats next......"Can you please turn that down so we can get some sleep!"....SHIAT!:(

So on go the head phones, and I will have to wait another day to actually listen to the movie. Thanks for the reviews guys...Ron...Doc...****.

Oh yeah personally I really enjoyed it...much better than the second.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited April 2004
    Options

Here you go, Reloaded and Revolutions explained.

The guy who wrote this doesn't have a clue. He has absolutely no understanding of Eastern (or Western) philosophy.

Pick a movie -- Dumb and Dumber -- and anyone can do what this guy did, make all kinds of religious correspondences. The movie's meaning is only as good as your own interpretation of it. If you want it to have religious significance, then so be it. If you want the movie to simply be an entertaining story, then so be it. Ask 200 people and you'll get 200 different perspectives, all of which are right (or wrong). Doesn't matter. It's just a movie, and not a very good one
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Ron-P
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Well, sorry to hear that. I did not read it, just passing it along. I have no plans to read it as well.
    If...
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I found the concept of the Matrix intriguing, the first film did things never seen before. Interesting thread though reading what if anything the films meant to different folks, I think just mulling it over considering what it means matters most whether you feel they were good or bad. Alot of symbolism to me, I watched all three over the past couple days all in all I would say a very decent trilogy. Great special effects and sound track. Sorry to state the obvious but cant help it, Trinity is easy on the eyes.
  • Shizelbs
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Just wanted to let you all know that while some of you are at work I am drinking beer and watching this movie. LOL. Have fun.