Njoe Tjoeb 4000 cd player

ezc
ezc Posts: 426
edited April 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Any one have any input on this cd player? Im taking a hard look at it. I dont do much 2 channel but have been listing more & more & need (want) a better player. Ill use analoug outs to my Rotel 1065 & play through LSi15's. I dont have much experience with 2 channel so I want to be sure I purchase a player that Ill have for a while, Even If I decide to dedicated 2 ch later. Heres a link http://www.upscaleaudio.com/AH!/ahN.htm
I would purchase Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD player including:
Vacuum Tube output stage, dual mono op-amps, Toroidal power transformer, 2nd power transformer upgraded. Switchable 110v-220v for use around the world, AC Noise Killer, Supercrystal for low jitter, relay based muting circuit, co-ax digital out, and the +Digital Transformer for $699. Complete! Add on Tjoeb Shoes for $69 & the Burr Brown OPA627 Op-amp Flavor Kit for $44 total $812+shipping. Id possibably purchase the TjoUpsampler 24 Bit /192 kHz Upsampling Board at a later date, Id like to see what the player sounds like without it & do the upgrade at a later. I would upgrade the power cord, but Id use Kimber pk10, I have about 15' left & would use that as an upgraded power cord. Anyone have any experience with this player?
Post edited by ezc on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2004
    I had to cut and paste your link. Looks nice but I have no idea. Maybe heck audio asylum to see if it has been discussed.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited April 2004
    That player is awesome. Reviews abound on the net, and everything I've read is extremely positive. Add to that the guys at Upscale Audio are great; very responsive and ready with advice for what would be best with your system.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2004
    Aloha ezc!
    that player is awesome, has lots of admirer out there. Upscale Audio of Upland (Kevin) is one of the authorized dealer in the US, if not the only. At the price quote you mentioned, with a tube stage, I think you can't get a better player. Btw, my two system now consists of 1065 and LSi15, with a heavily modded Pio DV563 two channel player. Once you hear tube stage CDP, I am sure you will judge your future CDP purchases on that. My other player is another heavily modded Philips (with tube stage) and it is indeed the reference player for me. The little Pio is a notch below it, but its sonic characteristics is amazingly similar (even though it is a solid state CDP) Have fun with the Tjoeb....
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited April 2004
    I'll echo my Polk brothers comments, there is nothing like a tube stage for digital playback, I love my Tri-Vista. I've heard nothing but good things about the AH! 4000 and the upsampling is a must have. You hardly ever see one for sale used and when they do pop up, they are gone in minutes.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2004
    Here's a working link, the exclamation point is messing up the posting...
    http://www.upscaleaudio.com/AH!/ahN.htm

Sweet looking CDP with more options than the last car I bought.

Surprised to see it's made in Holland, what with so much far east tube gear coming on the market.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • ezc
    edited April 2004
    Thanks for the input! there are lots of good reviews on line about the player. Thanks for the input! Does anyone know if the player will sound good through my RSX 1065 reciever, or should this go through a dedicated 2 channel setup? & would this player be over kill for my system? Im very close to ordering this player!
  • F1nut
    edited April 2004
    I'm sure it will sound better than whatever you're using now, but it would be even better with seperates or a really good integrated. If you get it and don't like it, I'll buy it from you.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2004
    ezc,
    I am using my RSX1065 to run two channels (I know, it's a major overkill) and I can say that, in two channel mode (i.e. stereo), the receiver performs very nicely. If you check the manual page 15), 2ch button section, it will activate "pure" stereo analog pass through. Also, it will pumped out a higher wattages to the front two channel (i.e. increase by about 20%, so I was told). All in all, it will function as an integrated amplifier. Having said that, a dedicated pre/pro and power 2 channels amps will be the way to go. For me, I want to have an option of setting a second 5.1 system in my second room, that's why I am keeping the Rotel as is...your mileage may vary (as always)
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • ezc
    edited April 2004
    Thanks for all the input!!!! Ill use the 1065! If I really get into 2 ch than purchase a more dedicated system!
  • ezc
    edited April 2004
    Ordered the NJ4000 today! Got the standard player & also ordered the better feet & the burr brown op amp. I should get it wed. of next week. They ship fed ex & fed ex to Hawaii is usually 4-5 business days when shipping by 2nd day! HUH Pay for 2 day but it takes 4 days? UPS pay for 2 days get 2 days. UPS counts the days like me. Sun rises- sun sets one day. Fed ex sun rises/sun sets/sun rises sun sets- one day? Upscale Audio uses fed ex so what can you do, its not thier fault fed ex cant deliver on time. The folksat upscale audio was real nice & helpfull! Ill try it stock than start the tweeks! I think I was really attracted to this player beacuse of all the accessories & upgrade possibilities! The Upsampler board will be an upgrade in the feature! First upgrade that willbe done once the player gets here is replace the Power cable with Kimber pk10. I have extra cable & watt gate 330i plug end & Ill use that! I have never owned tube equip. so this is a first! Kind of like walking into a dark room not knowing what to expect until you hit the light switch!
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited April 2004
    ezc,

Congrats on that Ah cd player. I looked at that player really hard when I upgraded my cd player a few months ago.
    I have never owned tube equip. so this is a first! Kind of like walking into a dark room not knowing what to expect until you hit the light switch!

The signal tubes in that cd player should last a very long time. Probably 5 to 10 years. Obviously, you will want to experiment with different tubes as they each carry their own sonic signature to some extent.

I like tube output stages on cd players. Really helps to "soften" the sound and makes it sound more analog or vinyl like yet still maintains good detail.
  • ezc
    edited April 2004
    Got the Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000 this week! Replaced the Power cord, installed the upgraded up amps, & put dyna mat in the top cover. How do you break in the player. I have read connect it & put a cd in & on repeat & let it run for a few days. Is there any legnth of time it should run? Does the system need to be playing through the speakers all that time also? Thanks in advance!
  • pjdami
    edited April 2004
    Normally, the manufacturers say to let it play for 50 to 100 hours before any critical listening. I would just start listening to it and seeing how and if the sound changes over time. Usually, they sound pretty good after the first 5 to 10 hours (about 90 % there) and will get a little better over time.

Congrats and enjoy. Let us know what you think compared to the SS cd player you had?
  • ezc
    edited April 2004
    PJ,
    Thanks for the info. Got to listen for about an hr this morning. The sound so far is warmer but has more depth & is more detailed than my yamaha player. Every cable used with this new cdp is new so Id guess in time it should sound even better.
  • F1nut
    edited April 2004
    Congrats!

Yep, let it run non-stop for 50 to 100 hours. What I have done is play it with the volume on low when I'm home and just turn the volume down all the way when I go to bed.

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2004
    ezc,
    LOl... Did the CDP come with a pronunciation guide for its name?

Just occured to me it's gotta be easier to discuss this manufacturer on the web than face-to-face...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2004
    I've read that it doesn't matter if you have the amp on or not. I have a problem with playing equipment like that for 100 hours without listening to it. If it's playing you might as well listen and if you don't listen why not let it break in only while you are. It should last a long time anyway but why not use that last 100 hours at the end of its life. I guess it doesn't really matter either way.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • ezc
    edited April 2004
    The name of the company is AH The player is Njoe Tjoeb which is correctly said as "new tube" thats what I got off thier web site. Got to listen again this morning & yup it is sounding better! Not as tight & the sound stage is starting to open up. I still think there is a way for it to go before everything is broken in.
  • pjdami
    edited April 2004
    ezc,

I was looking at the Upscale Audio website for the tubes that came stock in your Ah! Wait till you start experimenting with some tubes bro. It is amazing how they affect the sound. Kevin is a great person to talk to about upgrade tubes because he has a lot of the NOS and modern tubes in stock. I've bought tubes from him before and the Tubezilla he has is pretty impressive.

I'm running Svetlana 12AX7s in my Jolida cdp right now.

I read about that cd mat too (the black one). I've been thinking about getting one for a while but haven't gotton around to it. Actually been waiting for someone to get one here on the forum and review it for us.

Here's an excerpt from the website on different tubes:

Next to be auditioned were alternatives to the supplied Philips Jan 6922 valves. In my previous article, I compared these against similar offerings from Sovtek and Harma. This time, it was the turn of some Russian Navigator 6H23 NOS valves and Siemens E288CCs supplied by Herman. Both sets were allowed to burn in for 24 hours by running them with a CD playing continuously before commencing the listening tests. The only way to thoroughly test these, as with my previous valve-swapping experiments, was to undertake the lengthy process of exchanging the valves and allowing them to warm up fully before listening again. It was a credit to the rugged valve bases that they have shown no signs of deterioration throughout these tests.

So how did they compare against the Philips? I have to say that I really liked the Navigators. The bass was more controlled and there was much better detail, with a very similar sound to the Harmas - lively and energetic. As for the taller Siemens with their gold-plated pins and higher heater current, could they justify their hefty price tag? They too had better control over the bass than the Philips and excellent detail, but a much fuller, open sound. Strings were easier to listen to and the overall sound was more refined. These valves took everything in their stride! Nothing was going to be a problem to them and they handled whatever the CD threw at them effortlessly. They were good and they knew it! My verdict - if you can afford it, these are the valves to go for. If not, try the Navigators - you won’t be disappointed.
  • ezc
    edited April 2004
    PJ Tube upgrade is on the list! I have read many reviews on the ah & most reviews have thier own favorite. I guess I need to roll tubes till I find one that I like & what works with my equipment. Never thaught playing music through 2 speakers could be so complicated! There is always a better sound! I still favor movies but 2ch music is starting to get my attention. I will buy the upsampeler in the future, but first I want to see what kind of sound I can get with upgrades. I put in the upgraded Burr Brown opamps, replaced the PK, & added dyanmat material to the inside cover. So far the sound is much larger & much deeper than my ss dvd/cd player! It only can get better from here!