Accent lighting

Options
specd_out
specd_out Posts: 505
edited February 2012 in Speakers
I did a little accent lighting on my a5's yesterday. Its some small halogen lights from Ikea. It cost me about $50 for every thing. I have been wanting to do something like this for some time. I am pretty happy with how it came out. Let me know what you think

IMG9129-L.jpg

IMG9136-L.jpg
HT Rig Samsung 64F8500 |Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD|Pioneer Elite VSX-32| Two Carver TFM-15cb Bridged for mains|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15 Heights|Polk Audio FXia6 Surround|DIY 8cuft Dayton Ultimax 15" powered with a Crown XLS1000
2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1BillD Mod|Carver M1.0t MkII Opt2|Pro-ject RM 1.3|SpeedBox S|AQ King Cobras|AQ Rocket88|
ISF Level 2 Certified Calibrator
Post edited by specd_out on

Comments

• zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Very nice clean seup
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited February 2012
    Options
  • Glowrdr
    Glowrdr Posts: 1,103
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Pretty sweet setup. I love Ikea for stupid crap like that. Just out of curiosity, do the uppers light up at all? I might experiment and move one of the LED's up top and see if that works or not. Maybe with the TV on it doesn't have that "fade to black" look to it.
    65" Sony X900 (XBR-65X900E)
    Pioneer Elite SC-37
    Polk Monitor 70's (2)
    Polk Monitor 40's (4)
    Polk Monitor CS2
    Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Oppo BDP-93
    Squeezebox Duet
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Dish Network "The Hoppa"
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I can dig it. :smile:

What's the blue coming from?
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Looks very good! :cool:
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • specd_out
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Glowrdr wrote: »
    Pretty sweet setup. I love Ikea for stupid crap like that. Just out of curiosity, do the uppers light up at all? I might experiment and move one of the LED's up top and see if that works or not. Maybe with the TV on it doesn't have that "fade to black" look to it.

Not sure what your asking
    HT Rig Samsung 64F8500 |Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD|Pioneer Elite VSX-32| Two Carver TFM-15cb Bridged for mains|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15 Heights|Polk Audio FXia6 Surround|DIY 8cuft Dayton Ultimax 15" powered with a Crown XLS1000
    2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1BillD Mod|Carver M1.0t MkII Opt2|Pro-ject RM 1.3|SpeedBox S|AQ King Cobras|AQ Rocket88|
  • grimmace19
    grimmace19 Posts: 1,429
    edited February 2012
    Options
  • specd_out
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I can dig it. :smile:

What's the blue coming from?

Its another ikea thing i got awhile ago. its meant to be placed behind the tv so it illuminates the back. Kind of like the samsung "touch of color". But I didnt like it so I stuck it too the back side of my tv stand. The blue over my receiver is from 2 120mm fans I have setup to cool it.
  • Glowrdr
    edited February 2012
    Options
    specd_out wrote: »
    Not sure what your asking

I was wondering if you tried to put the LED above and below the TV. Looks awesome either way. It looks really dark above the TV, but I'm not sure if that's my laptop or not. The top shelf is almost invisible. I'd think with the light below the top shelf would frame things nicely.

You did mention the touch of color though, so it sounds like you may have already tried that and decided it wasn't right for the look
    Pioneer Elite SC-37
    Polk Monitor 70's (2)
    Polk Monitor 40's (4)
    Polk Monitor CS2
    Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Oppo BDP-93
    Squeezebox Duet
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Dish Network "The Hoppa"
  • specd_out
    edited February 2012
    Options
    ok i see what you mean. The problem with that is the upper unit is bolted to the wall so there is now space between then wall and the unit to place the leds. If i would place them on the bottom you would see the leds and it wouldnt look like a back lite glow like the bottom.
  • Glowrdr
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Aaah - good call. I may have to look into something similar. I like a nice dark room for movies - but sitting in the dark just messes with my eyes. :cool:
    Pioneer Elite SC-37
    Polk Monitor 70's (2)
    Polk Monitor 40's (4)
    Polk Monitor CS2
    Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Oppo BDP-93
    Squeezebox Duet
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Dish Network "The Hoppa"
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Very elegant. Any way you can bring those mains out some, so the inside edge is even with the front of the rack?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Kinda cheesy looking. It reminds me of those lowrider cars with the lights under the chassis. Hey, don't get mad, you asked for opinions. If you like it, that's all that really matters.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • Glowrdr
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Funny you said that, my screenname is an old one I've been using for years. Used to have an '83 cutlass that was all decked out (chrome, craigers, lowered, t-tops) and I also had neons under it. Glow Rider. Just throwing that out there as my random tidbit of the day. (Mind you the day was about 15 years or so ago)
    Pioneer Elite SC-37
    Polk Monitor 70's (2)
    Polk Monitor 40's (4)
    Polk Monitor CS2
    Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Oppo BDP-93
    Squeezebox Duet
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Dish Network "The Hoppa"
  • specd_out
    edited February 2012
    Options
    decal wrote: »
    Kinda cheesy looking. It reminds me of those lowrider cars with the lights under the chassis. Hey, don't get mad, you asked for opinions. If you like it, that's all that really matters.

No offense taken.

The one cool thing about it is that the leds have different color settings, including a white which is similar to the halogen lights. So i can match if I like. Or just turn it off. I use the yellowish brown when I play MW3, it goes real well.
  • specd_out
    edited February 2012
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Very elegant. Any way you can bring those mains out some, so the inside edge is even with the front of the rack?

I tried that first. The problem I had was that the lights dont extend far enough forward. So the light wont shine on the front of the speaker just the top. When your watching the movies the speakers just look like black shadows. If I ever find a way to extend the lights, i would move the speakers forward in a heat beat.

I am very particular with my setup. Things have to be centered in their shelf, the center of the tv, center channel and tv stand all have to be perfectly in line other wise it drives me nuts. Having the speakers set back kills me, but i have no choice at this point.
  • CzechM8
    CzechM8 Posts: 16
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Funny you said that, my screenname is an old one I've been using for years. Used to have an '83 cutlass that was all decked out (chrome, craigers, lowered, t-tops) and I also had neons under it. Glow Rider. Just throwing that out there as my random tidbit of the day. (Mind you the day was about 15 years or so ago)

Was the cutlass blue???? Please tell me it was blue... :)
  • drselect
    drselect Posts: 664
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I was wondering if you tried to put the LED above and below the TV. /QUOTE]
    ok i see what you mean. The problem with that is the upper unit is bolted to the wall so there is now space between then wall and the unit to place the leds. If i would place them on the bottom you would see the leds and it wouldnt look like a back lite glow like the bottom.
    The problem I had was that the lights dont extend far enough forward. So the light wont shine on the front of the speaker just the top. When your watching the movies the speakers just look like black shadows. If I ever find a way to extend the lights, i would move the speakers forward in a heat beat.

Looks really nice.
    Could you first bolt a few 2x4 on your wall first and then the upper unit to it. This way there would be space to put the led lights and extend out the lights for the speakers.
  • packetjones
    packetjones Posts: 1,059
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I like it... When I get into the new place I am looking to do something very similar.
    Front - RTiA5's
    Rear - RTiA3's
    Center - CSiA4
    Sub - PSW110
  • specd_out
    edited February 2012
    Options
    drselect wrote: »
    I was wondering if you tried to put the LED above and below the TV. /QUOTE]

Looks really nice.
    Could you first bolt a few 2x4 on your wall first and then the upper unit to it. This way there would be space to put the led lights and extend out the lights for the speakers.

Hind sight is 50/50. I guess that would have worked. But theres no way its coming of now lol.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    edited February 2012
    Options
  • drselect
    drselect Posts: 664
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Hind Sight .
    Yeh I know that I guy. He shows up at my place alot.:cheesygrin: