..over 60 - Favorite album of all time that survived the test of TIME?

dee1949
dee1949 Posts: 1,425
edited February 2012 in The Clubhouse
.. Thought I would share my FAVORITE album when I was 17. It was well recorded, I thought back then. What is AMAZING........it still is MY FAVORITE album of all time. Poetry !!!....especially NOW that we are "OLE" !!

.... - > BOOKends - Simon and Garfunkel

Of course - all of BOB Dylan !!!

...What are YOURS ?

....over 50 year old's are welcome.

Youngsters under 50.......I hope you can find some POETRY in your music.
Post edited by dee1949 on

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited February 2012
    Pink Floyd - DSOTM
    Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key Of Life
    Steely Dan- Aja
    Weather Report - Heavy Weather
    Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
    King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King

Off the top of my head...............as you can tell my head is rather aged.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • dee1949
    edited February 2012
    OK----if only "ONE" from your youth could make the LIST. Which one? Made a difference in YOUR life.

- It is SCARY how relevant "BOOKENDS" is....now that we are "OLE".

- List your absolute FAVORITE and then a few more.

Any thoughts on sound quality for way back when? Remember playing on my family's Magnavox console. 75% furniture and 25% audio. Mahogany floorstanding case w/speakers and radio (FM).
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited February 2012
    only one that's tough but will say Pink Floyd-DSOTM fond memories of that one not 50 yet but getting there. If you were to say name 2, then Deep Purple Made IN Japan was close. Those were the first two I owned.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • dee1949
    edited February 2012
    ....anybody remember "Hootenanny's" ? A friend with a guitar and a lot of willing participants. Despite all the baggage....it was a GREAT time to be YOUNG.
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 993
    edited February 2012
    I agree, dee, it was a great time to be young. If I had to pick one album it would be "Sgt. Peppers..." It was unlike anything that had come before it. It resonated through me then and still does today when I listen to it.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited February 2012
    I've always been a fan of the Beatles and the "Hey Jude album" brings found memories of my younger days.

Aside from this album, always been a huge fan of the Beatles songs overall, The Guess Who, Creedence (CCR) I can still hear "Susie Q" without even playing it (have been moon since I played that album). After the break up of the Beatles, I naturally turned to Paul McCartney & Wings which IMO, was the closest to the Beatles with however a touch of innovation. Of course, their Band on the Run album is my favorite and IMO rivals with just about any Beatles album.
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited February 2012
    53 here, so......

As much as I like DSOTM, it's been played to death. So, I have two and I can't pick one over the other.

Deep Purple "Machine Head"
    The Who "Who's Next"

There's a bunch more, but these two stick out for me the most.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited February 2012
    I am 50 now so I guess I qualify. There are so many but when I was 17 it was a toss up between Queen's A Day At The Races and Led Zeppelin's IV. Nazareth's Razamanaz was in heavy rotation then too. If you were to ask me today, my choices would be totally different.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited February 2012
    The Band. Nothing more needs to be said !!!!!
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • cubdog
    cubdog Posts: 835
    edited February 2012
    At 59, one album that sounds as fresh today as in my youth is the Allman Brothers At Fillmore East. Never gets old never sounds dated. A classic.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,707
    edited February 2012
    Deep Purple "Machine Head". I'm not quite 50 yet, but got the album when it came out. I was 8 at the time, still one of my favorites. By the time I was 9 I had every album they had released.
  • jgido759
    jgido759 Posts: 572
    edited February 2012
    3674.jpg
    Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
    group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
    -Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    -Unknown

My DVD Collection
  • malvrich
    malvrich Posts: 49
    edited February 2012
    at 14 it was Miles' Kind Of Blue and Parliament's Funkentelechy Vs. The Placebo Syndrome.
    Guess what... The 2 are still in HEAVY rotation in my house to this day.
    This stuff just NEVER gets old :)
  • Jonn Wain
    Jonn Wain Posts: 41
    edited February 2012
  • 72RR
    72RR Posts: 159
    edited February 2012
    I'm 53 so I guess I qualify.
    Dang, hard to narrow it down to 10 or 20 let alone 1.
    But here goes, Alice Cooper - Killer.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    edited February 2012
    I've gone into brain lock trying to narrow it down ..... until I unfreeze, I'll throw out Carol King's "Tapestry".

..... opposite end of the spectrum, Black Sabbath's "Into the Void" ....... that King Crimson album, "ITCOTCK" was killer ...... Neil Young's "Harvest " ..... of the non-musical variety Firesign Theater's "Don't Crush that Dwarf Hand Me the Pliers" ..... ELP's "Tarkus" ...... okay, I'm just going to go lay down on the couch and finish my flashback .....
    Sal Palooza
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited February 2012
    The first album i bought was The Doors 1st album. Still love it today. Highschool days Ziggy Stardust, Killer & Love it to Death, Transformer. Still stand the test of time. mrbigbluelight, don't forget Nick Danger 3rd eye.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited February 2012
    Now that I'm 62, Led Zeppelin I, and Dark Side of the Moon still rock today. I cannot stand Simon and Garfunkel. Not today, or 50 years ago.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 993
    edited February 2012
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Now that I'm 62, Led Zeppelin I, and Dark Side of the Moon still rock today. I cannot stand Simon and Garfunkel. Not today, or 50 years ago.

Simon and Garfunkel? Perhaps, some day, someone will start a thread asking what our least favorite albums are and you could post this again, where it would be more appropriate.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited February 2012
    cubdog wrote: »
    At 59, one album that sounds as fresh today as in my youth is the Allman Brothers At Fillmore East. Never gets old never sounds dated. A classic.

cubdog

I'm right there with you! I still play it just about every weekend.

I don't think I could pick just one album: most everything by the Beatles, Led Zeppelin's first, Jeff Beck Truth (featuring the great Micky Waller on drums, Rod Stewart vocals, Ron Wood on bass, Nicky Hopkins on piano), and so many more!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • bmbguy
    bmbguy Posts: 416
    edited February 2012
    I'm 52 -- and I own almost no music made after, oh, the early 80s. Most of it from the 70s. Some of us just never get past that 'music I grew up with' stage.

I agree that it's difficult to pick just one album, and there have been many great mentions already. But I'd have to put some of the classic Yes stuff out there - "Close To The Edge", for instance. And maybe Rush's "2112" (and/or "Moving Pictures"), or something like Robin Trower's "Bridge of Sighs".

And some might complain about something like Queen's "A Night At The Opera", but that album is a true masterpiece as well.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited February 2012
    I don't qualify, but here's my pick: The original US release of Rubber Soul. The later re-release with some of the Revolver songs on it, I didn't care for.
    Yes, I'm aware, that the British version is correct, doesn't mean I have to like it.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • bmbguy
    bmbguy Posts: 416
    edited February 2012
    You may be more 'qualified' than some of us older folks -- some of us ain't got such great ears anymore!

Maybe those countless nights standing in front of a guitar amp weren't such a good idea after all...
  • dee1949
    edited February 2012
    ...i am talking about 1964 . The TIMES they were a CHANGing era. The Beatles were still into "I want to HOLD your HAND". There was R&R (50's), the early British invasion, and FOLK. Of course Jazz was around. Of course the later Beatles and bands like the "WHO" are legendary. There was a transition period that changed your life forever. That was the early 60's.

...Nothing like the Beatles from 67 on. The WHO is still one of my all TIME . But that was a few years later. After the EVOLUTION>.....revolution.