An amp laying on the side

Options
Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited April 2004 in Electronics
I'm planning to add an amp to my setup, but I'm running out of room. Any problem with setting an amp on its side in one of those CPU stands? Amps have no moving parts and as long as it gets plenty of ventilation, it should be OK, correct?

What do ya think?
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Does the CPU stand have an open back? I know some of those stands are enclosed in the back which could cause bad circulation. The heat would just stay in the compartment and recirculate through the amp vents.

Also, laying the amp on the side might make it susceptible to vibrations because the amp is not resting on its feet...maybe you could buy a set of feet and put them on the amp's side?

Other than that, it sounds like a safe idea...
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,836
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Might be a little off
    b
    a
    l
    a
    n
    c
    e
    ;)

Seriously, the heat sinks are designed to be on a horizontal plane for ventilation and so are other internal components. I wouldn't advise it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2004
    Options
    It should be fine, provided the heat sinks don't "heat soak" the components above it too bad. For example....if your heat sinks are in the middle or bottom, the heat will radiate up in addition to out of the unit. We are talking typically high heat, and extended times here, not just casual listening....so don't get freaked out. Most components are rated for higher than room temperature effects, so it would be application dependent IMO.

I ran a NAD 2240 on it's side for very long periods of time, and it never even got warm. What is it you are running? You will most likely be ok.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Early B.
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I plan to run a HK PA 2000 once it arrives. I was considering putting the unit on the side of the TV stand, so there won't be any other components above or below the heat sinks.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I meant moreso, for the internal components getting "heat soak", not other gear. I should have been more descriptive.

Where are the heat sinks on that unit? PM has a couple of these HK's also, maybe he can drop some light into light??
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Two things:

1 - I wouldn't do it even if the heatsink placement allowed it, but that's just me... more importantly...
    2 - You'll see there's a big heatsink running all the way across the front, but that one's not your problem...there's a second heatsink right in the middle that is going to cause issues...doesn't matter which side you lay it on, you're going to have heat getting to other components inside the amp...including all the input and speaker terminal connections...

Can you set the amp on top of the receiver?
  • Early B.
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Can't set the amp on top of the receiver. Not enough room.

I may have to resort to plan B - setting the amp in a fully enclosed cabinet 6 feet away from my components. Not ideal. This means lack of ventilation, longer speaker wire runs and exposed cables.

Either option may create heat diffusion issues. Might not be a problem either way if the amp doesn't run hot.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,836
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Can't you just buy a seperate floor amp stand?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Early B.
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Can't you just buy a seperate floor amp stand?

WAF!!!

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Early B.
    Can't set the amp on top of the receiver. Not enough room.

I may have to resort to plan B - setting the amp in a fully enclosed cabinet 6 feet away from my components. Not ideal. This means lack of ventilation, longer speaker wire runs and exposed cables.

Either option may create heat diffusion issues. Might not be a problem either way if the amp doesn't run hot.
    it runs a little warm, but really hasn't heated up on me too much yet...
  • therockman
    therockman Posts: 349
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I came to this thread a little late, but I really thought that this was going to be somekind of Zen riddle. You know;

A mountain standing in the clouds.

A tree falling in the forest.

An amp laying on the side.

Rocky
    Rocky Bennett