A Tournament Like No Other...

Options
Tour2ma
Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Spring is definitely in the air...

My favorite week of golf the whole year through is here.
http://www.masters.org/en_US/index.html

And even better, my Doc's given me the green light to start swinging a club, albeit half swing max for a little while. I am so psyched...

How many of you have walked the hallowed grounds of Augusta National? I was lucky enough to do so a couple years ago for a couple practice rounds. Memories that will stay with me as long as I am on the "big ball".
More later,
Tour...
Vox Copuli
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• scottdawg
    scottdawg Posts: 166
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I have lived here in Augusta for 25 years. Ive been to the National several times, it is truly an amazing place. I would never guess a place like that exists directly off Washington road if I didnt know better.
    Congrats on getting that swing back, hope your recovery goes well.
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Thanks, sd...

One of the memories is that long drive up the main drag to the course. Traffic is awful, but there is so much going on (Tix scalping, etc.) that it's part of the experience.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Congrats and good luck with the swing. :)

Mike Weir's win last year was one of those "Where were you when?" moments for Canadian golf fans. He's been a big star up here for a couple of years but to be the first canadian to win a major was amazing.

I was driving back home from a trip to Niagara Falls during the 4th round last year. I made it home in time to catch the intenseness of the last 3 holes and the playoff. Great Stuff.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Thanks, dc... getting close to time for you as well I assume.

I hear Mike's serving Moose and LaBatts at the champions dinner, eh?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• dcarlson
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I think we're about a month away from the courses opening. Probably a couple weeks away from the driving ranges opening.

Something popped up in my wrist over the weekend. I've got to see a doctor about it myself. I don't think it's serious, I'm just a little concerned about my golf game. :D

Is Weir really serving Moose? That's hilarious.

I heard he was going to bring some canadian beer for his friends and family.

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Can't say that I'm as lucky as you Tour but I'm sure as hell looking forward to my golf trip next month in Orlando. Weather should be beautiful. Supposed to pick up my new clubs the end of the week. A nice new pair of King Cobras custom fitted.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Grimster,
    Yes, I was very lucky. It was a business boondoggle where a service supplier picked a couple of us from the Plant. All we had to do was get there and the rest was set for us.

Stayed in a private home the supplier has been leasing Masters week for many years. That's a major business in the Augusta area

Of course the tournament passes were reserved for management a little higher up the corporate food chain, but who cares... you can enjoy the tourney more on TV. All I really wanted to do is see the course in person. I walked that mother from #1 tee to #18 green. It will tire you out. Wonderful rolling hills, until you have to walk them.

I actually was invited to go back the following year, but declined on the condition that someone who'd never been before would go in my place. I think it is an experience that every avid golfer should have.
    Originally posted by dcarlson
    Is Weir really serving Moose? That's hilarious.
    LOL... I have no idea. What's the national dish of Canada, if not moose???
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• dcarlson
    edited April 2004
    Options
    That definitely must have been one hell of scene.
    LOL... I have no idea. What's the national dish of Canada, if not moose???

Waaaaa.... :D

I don't think we have a national dish. I can't recall ever seeing moose on a menu. It mostly only comes from local hunters and you have to know someone. It's funny you mention moose though, over the weekend a friend of mine made 600 moose eggrolls with her mother for family and friends. They're pretty good. ;)

• dcarlson
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Well, it looks like Weir served Elk. I've never had Elk. LOL.... :D

Here's an interesting read of Weir's status up here. I just came across it today.

http://www.golfweb.com/tournaments/masters/story/7226958

• Tour2ma
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Neat read... Don't know about the "Weir showed up in a Green Jacket" part. I don;t believe they are allowed off the premises.

"Buffalo" Billy Casper probably enjoyed the Elk...

One of the coolest things about the practice rounds is on #16. After each group hits their "real" shots, the "patrons" all start chanting, "Skip. Skip. Skip." Any reasonable pro will stop at the front of the box and punch a low iron shot trying to skip it across the water and onto the green. When one makes it on you'd think it was a hole-in-one by someone in the final pairing on Sunday... Great fun.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• dcarlson
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Sounds like a lot of fun.

I love the PGA commercial of Fred Funk skipping a shot across a pond.

Weir was wearing a green jacket at the Sears thing. He also dropped the puck at a Leafs game in one as well. Are you sure they don't let it go for a least for the post win festivities?

• Tour2ma
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Possible, but I read a Golf Digest article years ago about Augusta facts and myths, and I was thinking that was one of the facts. Did the jacket he wore have the "Masters" logo on it? I am sure that members must wear their green jacket in the Club's dining room.

One of the other facts is that tournament winners are only Honorary members, and have few rights at the Club. An example of a right they don't have is the right to play a casual round anytime they feel like it. Something a few past winners have learned the hard way...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• dcarlson
    edited April 2004
    Options

• Tour2ma
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Yup... Clearly has the jacket on... Doesn't look like one from Sears either...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• dcarlson
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Hehe...

What did you think of the clip?

• Tour2ma
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Can't seem to find a program to play the clip...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• scottdawg
    scottdawg Posts: 166
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Looks like a 60% chance of thunderboomers for opening day. Somehow though the Masters Gods find a way to bribe mother nature to get the full tournament in. The rest of the week is going to be beautiful.
  • dcarlson
    edited April 2004
    Options
    You need Real Player to see the clip.

• dcarlson
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Oh... I forgot, the puck drop was for game 7 of the first round Leafs and Flyers. ;)

• Tour2ma
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Extra incentive for me to view it... NOT. :D

scott,
    Do your best to keep the weather at bay. I need my full Masters fix.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• del44
    del44 Posts: 686
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Guess I'm not the only golf lover. My league will be starting up Tuesday. yippy. Any thoughts on a potential Masters winner. My moneys on Mickelson. He sounded really positive about his swing during his interview. Plus he's a lefty. Lefties rule:D
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Great tournament... great finish.

Ernie's going to win one someday, but happy for Phil today.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Hey.....2 lefties in a row!
    I'm not too proud to admit I had a little water in the eyes watching Mickelson there....also watching the footage of Arnie's last stand. That was the best major tournament finish in a long, long time. Combined with Daly's win earlier here in S.D. it's been quite a year so far.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • dcarlson
    edited April 2004
    Options
    It was great to see for sure. What a final round. 2 hole in ones in back to back groups and the eagle from Choi were pretty amazing.

I have to say, after Weir winning last year and Phil this year, the Masters is my favorite major. What a putt to end it.

• Tour2ma
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Ditto on the Masters being #1...

I like seeing the same course year after year. Helps develop a sense of history.

I think we're finally seeing that translate to the "new" Augusta National with all the tinkering over the past few years.

I still wish they'd mow the rough down though. It seems to keep more balls in play and out of the pine straw than anything else.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• kingkip
    kingkip Posts: 401
    edited April 2004
    Options
    One of the best Masters finishes I have ever watched. I had a chance to meet Phil Mickelson when he came into my airport for the PGA tour last year, quality guy. Been rooting for him ever since, and very happy to see him win.
    There are two ways to argue with women. Both of them are wrong.