FS:Definitive Technology BP30 Tower Speakers

tboo72
tboo72 Posts: 225
edited February 2012 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
I have a pair of Definitive Technology BP30 floor standing speakers for sale. These are very hard to find. They are the big brothers to the BP10 series but were discontinued several years back. These are monster non-powered speakers. Mine are in great condition & work and sound great. End caps & socks are in good shape. They weigh 80lbs a piece and are rated up to 500W a channel. Asking $500 firm for the pair. I do not have the original boxes so don't ask me to ship. Local pickup only. I'm located in NE Wisconsin. PM me with questions.

DSC00434.jpg
DSC00436.jpg
Post edited by tboo72 on

Comments

• BILLY O
    BILLY O Posts: 4
    edited January 2012
    if u can't sell local i'd b interested but live in phx az-602-459-2564 thx billy
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    edited January 2012
    If you were within 3-4 hours of me Id have to pick these up... lol
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • tboo72
    edited January 2012
    Yeah, sorry guys but these are just too big & heavy to ship. It would cost a fortune.
  • VR3
    edited January 2012
    It wouldnt cost as much as you think --

I shipped a set of BP20 (same coast) for about 100 bucks total...

Packing material is cheap ($25.00) for a 4'x8' sheet of 2" foam at lowes... piece mill a box - tape it up real good, shipping would be 30ish a box on the same vertical plane on a map and double cross country...

So yeah, not to shabby - just saying.

BP20 are the same size, dimensions, etc of the BP30
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • BILLY O
    edited January 2012
    keep me in mind-i'm still interested!
  • tboo72
    edited January 2012
    BILLY O wrote: »
    keep me in mind-i'm still interested!

Will do.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    edited January 2012
    So whats the difference between the 20 and 30? just courious.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tboo72
    edited January 2012
    erniejade wrote: »
    So whats the difference between the 20 and 30? just courious.

Good question. I didn't even realize there was a BP20 till a few days ago.
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited January 2012
    The BP 30 had a better tweeter than the BP 20. I believe the 6.5" MW's were the same, as was the cabinet.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • VR3
    edited January 2012
    Not quite - and actually quite a bit...

1) The tweeter and woofers are both Definitive in the BP30 - the BP20 used a Vifa soft dome tweeter and a Vifa midbass which is now made by Scanspeak... I would say both of the Definitive drivers are a step up in alot of regards....

2) The port on the BP20 is just a regular port

3) The port on the BP30 is a quasi transmission line where they recess it in the cabinet with an oval cutout about 3 times the size of the port exit diameter, thus causing it to load like a transmission line thus increasing bass by about 3-4db in the low end... and allowing it to dig a few octaves deeper.

4) The cabinet on the BP30 is built far superior and there is a solid board that spans the inside of the cabinet separating the inside and outside woofers from each other where this is not the case in the BP20

The BP30 is a rightful heir to the throne that was the BP20 - the original BP line was when Definitive was just getting started and you can tell they did not have near the resources as they did later on.

Also the crossovers are far superior in the "B" line the BP30 was associated with.

Hope this helps.
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited January 2012
    VR3 wrote: »
    Not quite - and actually quite a bit...

1) The tweeter and woofers are both Definitive in the BP30 - the BP20 used a Vifa soft dome tweeter and a Vifa midbass which is now made by Scanspeak... I would say both of the Definitive drivers are a step up in alot of regards....

2) The port on the BP20 is just a regular port

3) The port on the BP30 is a quasi transmission line where they recess it in the cabinet with an oval cutout about 3 times the size of the port exit diameter, thus causing it to load like a transmission line thus increasing bass by about 3-4db in the low end... and allowing it to dig a few octaves deeper.

4) The cabinet on the BP30 is built far superior and there is a solid board that spans the inside of the cabinet separating the inside and outside woofers from each other where this is not the case in the BP20

The BP30 is a rightful heir to the throne that was the BP20 - the original BP line was when Definitive was just getting started and you can tell they did not have near the resources as they did later on.

Also the crossovers are far superior in the "B" line the BP30 was associated with.

Hope this helps.

Wow! Didn't know all that. Thanks for posting it.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • VR3
    edited January 2012
    Yep, no problem -

I also believe the B line was the first to use Medite in the front and back panels (much denser than MDF) - however they still used particle board on the sides (3/4) and top/bottom (1/2") - the enclosure is braced far better in the B line as well...

The 20 just has 3 or 4 randomly placed braces...
  • tboo72
    edited January 2012
    Thanks for the info VR3!
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    edited January 2012
    So the 30 is like the 20's on steroids! LOl

I liked the 20's. they were a darn good speaker espeically with the crossover upgrade vr3 did to them.
    So the 30's might dig a little deeper and have more of a sizzle on the top end vs the 20 if i am reading it right?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tboo72
    edited January 2012
    erniejade wrote: »
    So the 30 is like the 20's on steroids! LOl

I liked the 20's. they were a darn good speaker espeically with the crossover upgrade vr3 did to them.
    So the 30's might dig a little deeper and have more of a sizzle on the top end vs the 20 if i am reading it right?

I can confirm the 30s dig very deep.
  • VR3
    edited January 2012
    The 30 should have far better high end and upper midrange clarity.. making it an overall "brighter" speaker where as the 20 will be more relaxed...

Really depends on your preference. Both are great speakers that can simply throw down and melt your soul through vibrations haha
  • tboo72
    edited January 2012
  • tboo72
    edited January 2012
  • Todesengel
    Todesengel Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    If you are still having trouble selling them locally send me a PM. I live in Rochester NY and wouldn't mind giving you a bit more if you went through the trouble of packing them for shipping.

-Tony
  • BILLY O
    edited January 2012
  • BILLY O
    edited January 2012
    by the way-do u have the carpet spikes
  • tboo72
    edited January 2012
    Yes, I have carpet spikes on them.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2012
    Road trip worthy for sure!!!!!!!!

I would get a divorce notice though if I told her I was going to get them. She just doesn't know how nice these are. My second newer pair of BP 10's are INCREDIBLE. I can only imagine what your BP 30's sound like.Maybe the BIG SRS POlks come to mind.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • NE1410S
    NE1410S Posts: 44
    edited January 2012
    I live on the west coast of Lake Michigan and this is certainly getting tempting....How far from 53083 are you?
  • tboo72
    edited January 2012
    NE1410S wrote: »
    I live on the west coast of Lake Michigan and this is certainly getting tempting....How far from 53083 are you?

About an hour drive north. Im at 54915.
  • tboo72
    edited January 2012
  • jesseo
    jesseo Posts: 4
    edited January 2012
    i live in southern michigan would u be willing to meet part of the way to cut down on my drive time , i dont know how to pm so i am not familiar with how to get in touch with someone on this forum ,
  • jesseo
    edited January 2012
    just to ad a note if the drive time is less than 5 hrs i can leave on tuesday the 17th or wed. the 18th
  • tboo72
    edited January 2012
    jesseo wrote: »
    just to ad a note if the drive time is less than 5 hrs i can leave on tuesday the 17th or wed. the 18th

I sent you a PM. Let me know if you can read it.
  • jesseo
    edited January 2012
    i ca read it but i cant respond because i do not have enough posts , this will be my 3rd .... i need 10