It is possible to repair a mm2104 sub?

Options
geralopez
geralopez Posts: 115
edited April 2004 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Sad story I'm going to tell you, I fried two of my 3 MM2104. Everything was going excellent last Saturday (my 1st trial after several months preparing my stuff). I was setting my amp and my HU. While I was testing my system a car police approached to my car and the policeman told me: Hey son, Are you drinking in your car? I said: Nop, I'm testing my car audio system, it is completely new!-I said, Then he said: OK guy, no problem but please turn your volume down, some neighborhood call us saying: Some body in this block is drunk and he is making a very loud sound, everything is vibrating inside the home.

'Till now everthing was runing well. During Sunday I tested 2 or 3 times the system giving me a complete satisfaction of my work.
But today, ooohhh God, today was terrible, I fried 2 or my 3 MM2104 sub's, But how?? The gain of my Stealth XS-1600X Autotek AMP was crossing the middle range (70% to be exactly), I was adjusting the subwoofer output in my Alpine 9815 HU, the sound start to go louder, it was amazing!! but here comes the sad story... :(
In less than 5 min. I smelled something bad (I was sure I was not the guilty of this), when I opened the trunk it was like a little cloud.
I checked my sub's and two of them were killed.

Now in your extended experience with Polk stuff, It is possible to repair the subs? Or I need to buy a new ones?
I need to think about the new ones anyway, the amp can deliver 1600W RMS at 1ohm (I had three in parallel close to 1.3 ohms) and I don't want to fried again, I'm thinking in 3 MM10 to match the amp output.
Can you help me to decide what to do?
Can I sent back the sub to Polk to be repaired? or It is the opportunity to select another brand? probably cheap but with good performance (My wallet was killed too!!)
I'm just crying sadly and thinking in my dead subs RIP (sniff, sniff)

Thank you for your condolences :(

-GLopez
Post edited by geralopez on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    Options
    ive heard autotek is underrated...you very well couldve been putting 5-600 watts on those subs...
    if theyre under warranty, ship em back
    if theyre not, i doubt youll be able to fix em, theyre not built to be rebuilt like some subs are
    id move to the mm124s with that amp
    if you can get 2 new subs b/c of warranty, sell em, 2 new subs, 1 slightly used...take that money and get 3 mm124s...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • geralopez
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I don't think they was underpowered by the amp. It was hitting hard during the testing. I didn't heard distortion or any noise. I was using a CD with a very low bass songs (MTX Bass). I have a bench-test certified from Autotek and they warranty this amp will deliver 1609 W RMS at 1 ohm. Probably it is stupid to believe in that paper but at least it give me a signal they are doing a test lab before shipment.
    Lets suppose the amp its OK and it was delivering 1400W @ 1.3 ohms at the moment of the test, that's means 466W continuous each sub during 5 min. It is possible to blow-out the subs with this power (MM2104 are rated at 300RMS= 900W total) ?
    -GLopez
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Options
    sorry, you misunderstood me
    an underrated amp means it puts out more power than its rated at
    example: rated at 1600 watts, put out 1800 watts
    but you said it only puts out 1609 so thats about right
    when i put you mightve been getting 5-600 watts per sub...i meant 5hundred, not just 5:)
    150 watts more is quite a bit more for a 300 watts sub
    i wouldnt put more than 400 watts on those subs...closer to 375 actually
    so yeah, that probably broke down b/c you were putting too much power to them
    -Cody
  • geralopez
    edited April 2004
    Options
    OK Cody, I understood the concept,
    It is possible due this fact, the sub could be under warranty if I send to Polk? :D
    How I can check if the subs are under warranty? Calling to Polk service dept. and explain the problem?
    Sorry probably these are stupid questions but it is my first serious installation and my firts serious stuff bought.
    I have spent more than $3,500 bucks in this system. (still crying :( )
    Thank you for your help!!

-GLopez
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Options
    well if you bought them from an authorized dealer theyre going to be under warranty
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I would suggest calling Polk up directly... tell them what happened and that you would like to get your speakers repaired or replaced under warranty.

Most likely, they will take care of you... it should not cost you anything.

as far as the amp -- autotek is a VERY GOOD amplifier company. they make a great product, and that amp should put out at least 1600 watts as you said.

1600 / 3 = 533 watts per sub... that's a LOT of power for a 300 watt sub.

I always overpower my equipment, but in the end i always end up destroying it becaue of overpowering it.

i would put more like 350 - 400 watts on that sub instead of 533...

keep the amp and the subs... but turn the gain down .. you said you had it at about 70%.... if you get the subs fixed / traded in / whatever, try it at about 50% or so... this should help a lot.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge