newb question

Options
ebarrons
ebarrons Posts: 7
edited April 2004 in Speakers
I am new to the Polk world, just picked up a pair of like-new SDA-2A speakers and have some questions on them. What is the rated frequency range that they can reproduce? I.E. 20hz-25khz? How much power can they handle? I.E. 200 watts, etc. ? I have a borrowed Sansui 6700(I think) 2 channel amp that powers them, but shuts off around 50%. I'm guessing this is due to too much power. Any suggestions for a newb?
Thanks
Post edited by ebarrons on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Hmmm, can't find the specs on the site...I'm sure someone will chime in soon with information.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I seriously doubt you are overpowering them. Do you have the SDA interconnect cable for them?

15hz-26khz
    10-500 WPC
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by ebarrons
    I'm guessing this is due to too much power.
    I'm guessing it's not enough.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,898
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

First off, it's a receiver, not an amp and it's probably rated about 100 wpc @ 8 ohms. The Polk speakers you have are rated at 4 ohms nominal. I don't know this receiver, but it might not be rated to drive 4 ohm loads. In any case, you're driving the receiver into clipping at 50%, but then again, most receivers/amps start clipping around 50%. The receiver you have shuts down to save it's self from it's owners foolishness.

If you're not happy with the sound quality and volume level you'll need to get a better power. Recommended power for the SDA's would be 200 wpc minimum, a high current design and in your case, one that is rated to drive 4 ohm loads. Seperates are preferable.

With the right power driving those SDA's you'll be grinning from ear to ear.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Yup... I'm seeing 90 wpc for the 6700. At least it appears to have protection circuitry. Definitely does not have enough current capability to drive the 2A's...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • ebarrons
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the info everybody. I am very glad that this is such an active helpful community.

I used to own a Pioneer setup, low-end compared to this crowd, but these SDA-2A's have much more range and just plain sound better than anything else I've been listening too. I'm hearing things in the music that I did not know existed. Amazing!

A friend of mine let me look at his manual for some Polk 12's, which listed all the ranges for each of the speakers. But the manual I have for the SDA's does not list the frequency range in it nor the power range.

The Sansui receiver, [I did know it was a receiver :) ] will shut down somewhere between 40-50%. The sound is great, but I'm sure the speakers are capable of more. Back to looking for components.

I was interested in using this for a home theater system, but now I'm not sure if any receiver (in my price range) can power it properly. I was looking at a Harmon Kardon AVR430 or probably an AVR520. Also the Denon AVR 3801 or 3802 or 3803. But these are not rated at 200 wpc. Cost is a factor. Any suggestions? I'm willing to go seperates, but the cost seems to be much higher.
    Thanks again,
    Eric
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Eric,
    Your SDA's are just two binding posts per... yes? Reason I'm asking is there are some interesting bi-amp opportunities with HK gear right now.

There's an RTi150 ower here named bulwinkle that went this route and solved an overheating problem.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • ebarrons
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Yes, there are only two binding posts per speaker(one red, one black), plus the interconnect port. I do have the interconnect cable plugged into the speakers.
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Ok, so you're looking at an outboard amp in the range F1 stated. Also look at the HCC (High Current Capacity). Want something in the 40-ish ampere neighborhood.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• wire
    wire Posts: 32
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Tour
    Man , you gotta get some power for the sda's . I run a older Bryston 4B for my SDA 2B's . Dont clip them to much with your under powered receiver , it might screw up the cross over .
    You will love the sound when you buy a a good power amp , look for a 4B on ebay , these things last alongtime ( i think mine is 25 years old , still runs as good as new ) .
    When it comes to Power rating , I dont know i lookedin my manuals , it doesnt say . But like i said im running a 4B and thats nothing to sneeze at for power , i read they mightbe Biamp also .
    Hope that helps .
    Oh yeh , if you buy Quality equipment , it will last along time and almost never be absolite . I just started to listen to music again (Latino) after about 5 years of never powering up my equipment .
    But all my equipment is still some of the best out there in its class .
    Bryston 4B
    Carver CT17
    Polk 2bs
    Denon 5 disc .
  • wire
    edited April 2004
    Options
    About Volume control volume , I remeber my bryston will start clipping into red at just under 1/2 volume , so becareful with your volume control . When mine clips it can be really loud and if i remeber corectly , those little drivers will Pop and turn it down abit .
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by wire
    Tour
    Man , you gotta get some power for the sda's .
    I'll make a note of that... :rolleyes:

Actually I'm with you wire, but the man says he's on a budget here. 200 wpc would start the grinnin'.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• ebarrons
    edited April 2004
    Options
    OK, I get it. I know you guys all have the killer rigs. Maybe one day I'll get there too. :)

How about any suggestions on a "starter" rig? I'm happy with used equipment, don't mind seperates. Is there a good rcvr that I can start with, to hold me over until I can drop $2000 on an amplifier? Something that will power the speakers well enough until I can buy more power?

Thanks again folks,
    Eric
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Well now that you've significantly stroked our audio egos, sure we'll help... ;)

But you have to help us help you...
    What is your budget?
    Is strickly 2 ch what you're after?
    What do you listen to and how loud?

Meanwhile I will say that Carver prices on ebay are as low as I've seen them. Fairly nice looking M-1.0t's are going for <$200, and not all that long ago they were $300 or more.

Excepting the C-4000, Carver pre-amps are always cheap on the bay.

So for ~$300 including shipping you'd have a nice front end there.

About what you're looking for?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by ebarrons
    Yes, there are only two binding posts per speaker(one red, one black), plus the interconnect port. I do have the interconnect cable plugged into the speakers.

You really need to hook up the cable to appreciate ALL the ingenuity of these unique speakers.Ive had a set for 18 years now,and just today my sons friends from college were amazed at how they sound.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • ebarrons
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Well, here's my thought. If I bought a good HT rcvr like the Denon 3802 or 3803 or the Harmon Kardon 520 or 525, I should be able to play music and watch movies until I can take the next step with more power and/or seperates. None of the rcvr's I listed have 200wpc, though. Please give suggestions/advice about this.

Basically at this point all I have is the SDA-2A speakers and a tv and dvd player, so I am almost starting from scratch. The Sansui G-6700 rcvr is a borrowed unit, I will have to give it back. I looked at the polk site and they suggest the CSi400 center channel, I am budgeting for that. The bass from the SDA's are better than most subs that I've heard, that might be something I look at down the road, though. I have some old crappy pioneer speakers, that I'll use for rear channel surrounds until I can get something better. I have been checking Ebay for most of this stuff. Is there any better places to get some good deals?

I would like this to be a HT system that would also double as my main music listening system. I listen to classic rock, hard rock and heavy metal (rock and roll in general), sprinkle in some classical and some few pop artists and there you have most of my musical tastes.

Eric
  • ebarrons
    edited April 2004
    Options
    It is hooked up. I think it is amazing, actually.
    Thanks
    Eric
  • ebarrons
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Budget: less that $1000 to start
    What do I listen to and how loud:
    What: Mostly Rock and Roll
    How loud: I'm finding that these speakers are able to make me want to listen to the music louder than I've ever wanted to before!!!

Home Theater and Music is what the main purpose of this system is. I need to make it do both, until I can split then up into 2 channel and HT.

I don't know a whole lot about any of this. Any Carver looks about the same to me. (I know, I know... I'm a newb!!!) So a total solution suggestion would be appreciated.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,898
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Look on www.audiogon.com also.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    edited April 2004
    Options
    As F1 points out audiogon is another good on-line place to shop.

Under $1000 for decent HT processing and power is doable, but you may want to consider that a 2 ch SDA set-up can yield a pretty nice movie experience.

That said, if the Denon 3803 is still around at the closeout prices being posted here a while ago (around $650 as I recall at 6thavenue??), that would be a great start and leave a chunk of change for supplemental 2 ch amp for the front stage. But it may be that that door has closed.

Harmon Kardon would be another to consider. Their AVR525 paired with their PA2000 amp is making some members here pretty happy.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• wire
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I say stick with separtes and i read Carver , do it . I think if you have interconnect for SDAs , dont bother with Home theater until you can upgrade , the SDAs do fine on there own with movies , put your $ into a Carver Amp PreAmp , I think i seen a tfm35 for $385 obo on audiogon , Ebay had some pre for good prices , i think i seen a ct17 on there (has dolby prologic and 2 pre out on it ) .