Sony's Digital amps series are pulled out from the retailers due to faulty design

Options
polkatese
polkatese Posts: 6,767
edited April 2004 in Electronics
So, I was at GG last week, to help a friend shop for a receiver. I've been told by the rep, and confirmed by a thread on HTF, that the power supply on this series of digital amps (specifically 3000ES) is faulty and can caught fire during loud passages of movies. Anybody heard this before?

Needless to say, Denon 3805 is going to be the recommended AVR, in lieu of 3000ES, for my friend.

EDIT: Sony recalled this series off the shelf at GG..
I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
Post edited by polkatese on

Comments

• therockman
    therockman Posts: 349
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Sounds very bad, I wonder if there is any truth in this. I will look into it.

Rocky
    Rocky Bennett
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,384
    edited April 2004
    Options
    There seem to be a number of threads on other forums spreading the rumor that the Sony 2000ES, 3000ES, and 5000ES receivers have a safety related problem--to the extent that someone actually claimed elsewhere that the power supply catches fire when there are loud explosions in movie scenes. The best that I can tell is that the receivers on the market have been pulled for a month so a video upconversion flicker problem, sort of like the one the Denon 3803 had early on, can be fixed. The Sony 1000ES and 9000ES don't seem to be affected by the video problem and they haven't been temporarily pulled from the market. The best forum for Sony information is Agoraquest.com usually:

Dispel the rumor
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited April 2004
    Options
    The local shop said the recall is for video issues, as mentioned above...
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I don't know... If it wasn't so effed up, It'd be WAY COOL, doncha think?:D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2004
    Options
    The precursor was the "recall" period, let alone the potential fire hazard reported, which is not a confirmed fact to the best of my knowledge. What a terrible marketing decision by Sony, to introduce this product ahead of schedule.

I think the best thing out of all of this, is the fact that a concerted effort from users, via forums specifically, brought this to Sony North America's attention. And in a way, that's sad.

Agoraquest is a very good forum for the Sony lover.

Thank goodness I never recommended one of those things....whew :(
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.