Best SACD Player under $200???

2»

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited April 2004
    Oh ya, sorry man Polkateer it is, lol :D

I knew that you would like it :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • therockman
    therockman Posts: 349
    edited April 2004
    You guys all make valid points, and LuSh I think that your logic is really dead on, but I was just using extremes to make a point. As for my current Sony player, the reason why my "audio cables" cost so much is because I have 4 sets of RCA style analog jacks connecting this baby to my reciever, plus one Toslink. The actual cables that I am running on my cheap Sony are:

4X $60= $240 Rca style analog jacks

1X $70= $70 toslink fiber optic

for a total of $310 worth of audio cables

plus $120 for a component vide cable

total $430 for cables to hook my one Sony DVP-NS755V SACD player up to my reciever. That is just how it is for my connection right now, but sysytems evolve and change, and this set up might be different in the future.

Rocky
    Rocky Bennett
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited April 2004
    Well, I did the comparison between the Denon and Pioneer this weekend...

I can't really afford the Denon right now, but I'm gonna stick with the Pioneer. Once I got the receiver all setup and the Pioneer calibrated well, I actually loved the sound.

SACD is wonderful on both units, no difference really to my ears.

DVD quality is a little better on the Denon, but not enough for an urgent upgrade.

DVD-A is MUCH better on the Denon, but I think Pioneer is working on a fix, not sure...

I think the Sony ES does SACD better than either other unit, hands down...so I may pick one of those up as a dedicated player eventually...

Overall, I'm impressed with the Pioneer now that I've calibrated more...
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by Grimster74
    Polkmaniac, if interested, I have a Sony DVP-NC685V 5-disc dvd/sacd player I'd be willing to get rid of for a pretty reasonable price. It was just purchased back in December of 2003, so its not even 4 months old yet. Just thought I'd through that out there.
    I'm gonna have to pass on this one...I'm gonna hold on to my Pioneer for a bit until I can afford the Denon...

Thanks for the offer...
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
    edited April 2004
    Not a problem what so ever. Anyone else interested just shoot me a e-mail. If not, I'll just hold onto it until someone does need one.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • debussyj
    debussyj Posts: 198
    edited April 2004
    Hi All,

This is such a tough debate for me. I can really relate. I am more with Lush in my philosophy about audio stuff. I try not to be a snob, honestly. Although I'm not a rich person, when it comes to audio, I pretty much ignore budgeting and go for it. I'm the worst person to ask audio advice from because I hate living within the budget constraints some people place on me. In fact, my best friend recently got the Pioneer 563 model. He made the mistake of coming over my house and hearing my setup before he hooked up his player. Well he's got this thing hooked up and now he realizes that he doesn't have the Bass management, much less sound I have. Apparently, while regular CD's sound outstanding for me in analog, they sound like crap for him. So now he's going to purchase the Outlaw ICBM thing for $250.00 to try to make his $150.00 universal player sound better. I don't know, maybe it will work. If it does no doubt he will have the thrill of making a fantastic sound system on a budget, and ribbing me about it. I guess the bottom line is, who am I to judge?

DebussyJ
  • Turbota
    Turbota Posts: 255
    edited April 2004
    We are talking "less that $200 bucks" here.

I don't have a clue how the Pioneer 563A does with DVDs, but I can tell you ... For the price, the 563 is as good, if not better than any other I have listened to for CD, SACD, and MP3 2-channel audio.
    2-Channel Audio
    Onkyo ... A-9050 . . .Integrated Amp. (Power Amp Section not Used)
    Onkyo ... M-282 . ... Power Amps .(Pair)
    Onkyo ... C-7030 . _.CD Player
    Polk . . *. RTi A7 - ....Front Speakers
    Polk . . *. RTi A3 - ....Rear Speakers