Demon's Souls for PS3

Options
punk-roc
punk-roc Posts: 1,150
edited December 2011 in Video Games
Picked this up the other day and for anyone who yearns for a difficult third-person RPG, this is the one for you. Dying in the game sucks and you need to retrieve your body in order for you not to lose whats used for currency and attribute boosting.

Really cool feel to the game as well.. I've always had a bit of nostalgia for Everquest Corpse Recovery missions and actually feeling afraid to die in new game areas, this game does a great job creating that environment.

Jason
2-Channel - So far...
Pre: Dodd ELP
DAC: W4S-Dac2
Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod
Post edited by punk-roc on

Comments

• lanion
    lanion Posts: 843
    edited March 2010
    Options
    This is my favorite game from 2009.
    My Iron Man training/charity blog.

HT:
    32" Sharp LCD. H/K dpr 1001 to Outlaw Audio 7900 to Polk LSi + Paradigm Studio center. Hsu DualDrive ULS-15. PS3/Wii. Outlaw 7900.
  • Nightsbane
    Nightsbane Posts: 100
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I thought that the instant death traps made it too frustrating to what would have otherwise been enjoyable.
  • punk-roc
    punk-roc Posts: 1,150
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I reveled in the difficulty of the game and rarely did it ever feel "cheap". There were definitely frustrating parts, but all the death traps were avoidable if you were cautious and used the bloodstains to help guide you.

It felt real because no sane person would just run blindly through that dungeon or castle if you risked certain death. Moving cautiously and with purpose is vital to succeed in that game.

Jason
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod
  • Nightsbane
    Nightsbane Posts: 100
    edited April 2010
    Options
    yeah but it's not that simple. There are many times when you can be obliterated instantly not matter how slow you are moving, and no matter how much you are paying attention.

I don't think it's worth the hype at all, but then again this is a system that is ardent defenders of the crap final fantasy series...
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Arise Ye Thread of Old!!!

Just picked up this game and am loving absolutely every horrible, soul-shattering, will-breaking moment of it. I feel like making myself a grilled cheese and throwing a parade every time I get anywhere new in the game. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment because I don't mind replaying the same part over and over and over and over... simply because it makes it all the more satisfying to actually progress. Plus I find combat to be both intuitive and fun.

Started off with the Hunter, but I'm going to throw caution to the wind and begin again as a Soldier. Again... must be a glutton for punishment. How did I freakin' miss this one?
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • piker
    piker Posts: 101
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Arise Ye Thread of Old!!!

How did I freakin' miss this one?

I know the feeling. I usually know about a game that is worth playing far before its release, but that wasn't the case with this one. I was looking through Walmart's new releases one day back in October of '09 and saw Demon's Souls. It had an interesting name, and intrigued me enough to go straight home and look it up online.

I'm not one for difficult games... in fact I usually loathe them. I HATE replaying the same part over, and over, and over again because of difficulty, but I fell in love with this one. The new Dark Souls game does some things better, and has improved even more on the already incredible level design from its predecessor.
    AVR: Onkyo TX-NR808
    Amp: Emotiva XPA-5 200 watts x 5
    Fronts: Polk Monitor 70 Series II
    Center: Polk CS2 Series II
    Surrounds: Polk Monitor 70 Series II
    Sub: HSU VTF-2 MK4
    HDTV: 73" Mitsubishi DLP-73740 3D-ready
    PS3, 2x XBOX 360, Wii U, Gaming PC.
  • audio_alan
    audio_alan Posts: 770
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I'm hooked on this game right now too. After playing it for several weeks, I can say that whenever I die, it's pretty much my fault. Slow and steady is the key. Blocking is critical in this game too. So many games you can just hack and slash and never block. Not this game!

I've heard Dark Souls is tougher in some respects...