Family reunion photos...

audio_alan
audio_alan Posts: 770
edited December 2011 in Vintage Speakers
It's been a long time since I've really been on the forum, but thought I'd come back and show you some "family reunion" photos. Hope you like them as much as I do... :cheesygrin:

I hope all of my forum friends are doing well!
Post edited by audio_alan on

Comments

• falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited December 2011
    You have a beautiful family, sir!:biggrin:

Looks like you got about 1.5k worth of RD0's to install...
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited December 2011
    I can recommend a therapist if you're interested !!!!! :cheesygrin:
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    edited December 2011
    Beautiful children lol!
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited December 2011
    I have met his family before, as a matter of fact he adopted one of his children from me..LOL!!
  • Mr. Bubbles
    Mr. Bubbles Posts: 736
    edited December 2011
    That is a very nice collection. How do the CRS's sound inside those coves?

A while back i found a post on this site dedicated to audio pictures from memebers. can someone point me back to it, please. i have been unable to find it since.
    If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of Progress?!

Monitor 5Jr, Monitor 5, RTA12, RTA 15TL, SDA 2A, 1c, SRS 2, 1.2TL, CRS, Atrium.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited December 2011
    Very nice looking family you have, but I'm sure they can be mouthy. :wink:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited December 2011
    I'm guessing those are not all connected - how do you decide which ones to listen to? :surprised:

What kind of source - pre - power amp do you use?
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited December 2011
    WOW!!!!

I have to admit I am quite jealous. I have owned most of those at one point or another but never all together.
  • evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    edited December 2011
    +1 with questions about how you run these. HOLY COWABUNGA!

That's awesome! I've become sportly jealous of my friend's 1c's so I've been wondering if they could be matched up somehow with my crs+.

Yeah, post those in the audio pictures section please.

Wow
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe
  • squeeb
    squeeb Posts: 426
    edited December 2011
    Couldn't help but notice the "**** child" on the fireplace. They look like Bose cubes.
    7.3 HT: Sunfire TGR-3, Sunfire Series II, Mirage OMD-28, OMD-5 (x4), REL T1 (2), T2, Oppo 103D, Optoma HD8200PRO, 106" screen, SB Touch
    Family Room: Yamaha RX-V2700, RT25i, 42" Samsung, SB Duet
    Pool: Yamaha V2700, SQ Duet, Atrium 60 (2), Atrium 45 (3), Atrium 65sdi
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited December 2011
    That's a very nice collection of vintage Polks, mostly SDAs but I've actually seen a lot more in one room. The member shall remain nameless. But imagine a room about 20 x 30 filled with almost every vintage Polk you can imagine and duplicates in some cases, perhaps three or four dozen speakers (at least)? Then imagine that this guy is married and his wife allows him to occupy a room that size as a warehouse for Polk speakers! It's impressive, but perhaps over the "edge", or not?

I certainly have more speakers than I need, but the majority are much smaller than SDA-2Bs!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • audio_alan
    edited December 2011
    Haha, thanks for all the kind words about my "family". :cheesygrin:

Since I'm working on my basement right now, I had to bring them all upstairs. I figured it was a great photo opportunity! To answer the questions about how I have/had them setup, they used to be all hooked up as follows:

7.1 in my basement theater - 2.3 fronts, 11t side surrounds, and 2B rear surrounds. Pioneer Elite SC-27, plus an Adcom 555II for the fronts.

5.1 in livingroom - SDA-SRS fronts, Monitor 5 rear surrounds (not pictured - they were out sick with the flu that day), another Pioneer Elite receiver, a yaqin tube buffer, plus an Adcom 545 for the SRS's.

Dedicated 2 channel livingroom rig - SDA-SRS's, Dared SL-2000a Tube preamp, Emotiva XPA-2 (yeah, I know, the horror!, but I really like it...maybe I got a "good one"). MIT cables.

Bedroom setup - 1C's as my computer speakers, with a receiver. I've thought about upgrading this to a tube-pre and amp setup as well, but I do my serious music listening in the livingroom, so it's not a high priority right now...

I do normally have the 2 sets of SDA-SRS' in the livingroom (for the 5.1 and dedicated 2 channel setup), plus the CRS+'s recessed in the holes that I can switch to via an Adcom switch box if I don't want it too loud. The CRS+'s sound fine in the holes. Probably not the best for music, but when doing L/R duty in a 5.1 setup for casual movie/tv watching, it's fine.

Falconcry72 - I can see it now - "Hi Polk, I need to order 28 RDO-194's." :eek: That's gonna hurt!

Decal - No need for a therapist. I'm quite happy with my speaker psychosis. haha

Larry - Don't worry, I'm taking good care of your kid. Although the CRS+'s feel a bit like a red-headed step child next to the two sets of SDA-SRS's though. LOL

My weak links are the center channels. In the theater I was using a Yamaha (can't think of the model number off the top of my head), and a lower end model Polk center for the upstairs. It worked, but I really want something more beefy and better voice-matched for both setups. Perhaps a CS1000P or a CS400i.

Here's the funny thing - Out of all the sets that I have, the only ones that have RDO-194's so far are the Monitor 5's... my smallest set (but they do sound good!). Go figure! I might have to break down and buy 8 RDO's as a Christmas gift to myself for the 2-channel SDA-SRS's...
  • Oldfatdogs
    Oldfatdogs Posts: 1,874
    edited December 2011
    Very nice family.
  • evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    edited December 2011
    There's a guy that goes to the South Florida car show that owns one Mustang from each year it was made. My wife remarked that might be over the top.

Your collection is not over the top, it is excellent. Thanks for sharing your family photos!
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited December 2011
    audio_alan wrote: »
    Falconcry72 - I can see it now - "Hi Polk, I need to order 28 RDO-194's." :eek: That's gonna hurt!

Looks more like 32 to me. Plus the Monitor 5's you mentioned would make 34. With your Polkie discount, plus little off the top for the quantity (I would hope), I think my 1.5k estimate is pretty close.:wink:
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited December 2011
    Hey alan, you should stack them all on top of each other and then play Legion of Boom by Crystal Method lol.......

I think that qualifies as a "wall" of sound....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • audio_alan
    edited December 2011
    Looks more like 32 to me. Plus the Monitor 5's you mentioned would make 34. With your Polkie discount, plus little off the top for the quantity (I would hope), I think my 1.5k estimate is pretty close.:wink:

I was just guessing, but yeah, you're right. I need 32! I already have a set of RDO's in the Monitor 5's that I bought from geppy1 a while back... So 2 RDO's down, 32 to go! LOL

About stacking them, I probably could because of my vaulted ceiling. Hahaha But then people would really think I'm insane! :wink:
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited December 2011
    OMG :eek:

Alright, I know this is probably obvious but what's your fave and why?
  • bluecomet
    bluecomet Posts: 1,118
    edited December 2011
    CNH, the guy you are referring to must have a real speaker and electronic component problem. Could you believe I heard that he just completed upgrading all of the tweets to RDO's in those SDA's. I bet at this point the collection has even spilled into another home that he owns.:wink:
    Polk HT system 1: LSIC, LSI25 mains, LSI F/X rears, Lsi F/X rear centers,
    Yamaha RX-V2500 System, Carver A753 3 channel amp.

Polk HT system 2: , SRT system with f/x 1,000's rear speakers on 7.1 system currently using Onkyo TX-RZ820 receiver, powered by Sunfire Grand Theater amp

Polk Speaker collection: SDA SRS 1.2tl x 2, SRT system, SDA SRS 2 P/B, SDA 2A, SDA 1C Studio, SDA CRS+, Monitor 7B & 4, SRS 3.1tl, RTA 15tl, LS90, LSI 9
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited December 2011
    That is AWESOME! Would love to hear those monster towers someday...
  • OldmanSRS
    OldmanSRS Posts: 418
    edited December 2011
    VERY NICE collection. I'm jealous.
    '65 427 Shelby Cobra
    '72 Triumph TR-6
    '05 HSU VTF-3 Sub (Original OEM)
    '20 HSU VTF-3 Sub (three more, 100% cloned)
    '93 Carver TFM-35
    '88 Carver M-1.0t
    '88 Adcom GFT-555
    '88 Adcom GFP-555
    '88 Adcom GFA-555 (upgraded/restored)
    '88 Adcom GFA-555 (a second one upgraded/restored)
    '05 Onkyo DV-555 media
    '89 Fosgate 360 Digital Space Matrix
    '89 Fosgate 360 Digital Space Matrix, internal surround amp bridged to drive only a center channel
    '91 Kenwood Basic M1D Amp
    '89 Pioneer Laser Disc media
    '89 Sony SuperBeta HiFi media
    One PGA2310 based custom built remote volume control
    Four Polk T-15's
    Two Polk TSi-200's
    Two Polk TSi-100's
    Two Polk CS-10's

• audio_alan
    edited December 2011
    OMG :eek:

Alright, I know this is probably obvious but what's your fave and why?

As you probably guessed, I'd have to say my favorites are the big boys - the SDA-SRS's. They look awesome, and they sound incredible (and only to get better with upgrades, I'm sure!). They dig just a little deeper than the other model SDA's too, really removing the need for a sub when listening to music (movies are a different story, imo). Especially with the addition of the Dared tube-pre, I feel like I'm listening to the band, not just to a pair of speakers.

Having said that, even the smaller models are special. I'm happy with all of my SDA purchases. Dollar for dollar, you aren't going to get new speakers that sound this good, imo...

For anyone that hasn't heard a pair of SDA's yet, and you love music, you owe it to yourself to track down a pair.
    OldmanSRS wrote: »
    VERY NICE collection. I'm jealous.

Thanks OldmanSRS (and everyone else for the compliments). I went a little crazy buying SDA's over the past 12 months or so, but at least I'm actually using them all. (Well, I was, until I had to dismantle my theater temporarily. They'll be setup again though...).

2010-2011 will go down as the year I caught the SDA bug. Luckily it wasn't just a fad. I still enjoy them, pretty much on a daily basis.
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited December 2011
  • brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    edited December 2011
    That is fantastic.Not only a great collection but if my wife ever **** about how many i have i can show her those pics.
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited December 2011
    Hey alan, you should stack them all on top of each other and then play Legion of Boom by Crystal Method lol.......

I think that qualifies as a "wall" of sound....

Count me in, can we turn it up to '11'?
  • audio_alan
    edited December 2011
    brgman wrote: »
    That is fantastic.Not only a great collection but if my wife ever **** about how many i have i can show her those pics.

Hey, just doing my part to help out you married guys... :wink: haha
    codyc1ark wrote: »
    Count me in, can we turn it up to '11'?

Dang, I knew I should have bought the special "Spinal Tap" edition of the Pioneer Elite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuzpsO4ErOQ&feature=related
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited December 2011
    I'd sell most of that. No need to keep it all, its silly.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • SDA1C
    SDA1C Posts: 2,069
    edited December 2011
    brgman wrote: »

Concur! I used to have an "addiction" but all my wife has said in the last 5 minutes is "Holy ****"! Thanks man, I am officially off the hook!
    Too much **** to list....
  • newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    edited December 2011
    audio_alan wrote: »
    Although the CRS+'s feel a bit like a red-headed step child next to the two sets of SDA-SRS's though.

I wouldn't be too concerned. Left to their own devices, the CRS+'s slap the big boys around in coherence and resolve. Those are where the magic is at, IMO

If I were you, I'd be putting the money into the little guys for a 2 channel rig. 4.1TL conversion and a REL (ARM platform) sub and you will have something truly special.

Not that the big boys arent great, they are (I've owned all the speakers in your pic, most simultaneously), but the CRS+'s were Polk's best in the SDA line, IMO of course :)

I'm glad to see someone else utilizing the SDA's in HT. I had a Similar setup with SRS fronts, 2b rears, and Monitor 10b front and rear centers (later replaced by CS1000p's). It was by far,the most enveloping HT experience I'd ever had. I don't have the space I did, otherwise I wouldn't have changed it, but the RT5000p system was a worthy replacement.

At any rate, cool pics! Hope your back is OK after lugging them all into place! I know I had fun gettingmy SRS's up 2 flights of stairsby myself, can't imagine moving all of those!
    design is where science and art break even.
  • quadzilla
    quadzilla Posts: 1,543
    edited December 2011
    'Tis a nice collection, indeed.
    Turntable: Empire 208
    Arm: Rega 300
    Cart: Shelter 501 III
    Phono Pre: Aural Thrills
    Digital: Pioneer DV-79ai
    Pre: Conrad Johnson ET3 SE
    Amp: Conrad Johnson Evolution 2000
    Cables: Cardas Neutral Reference