Best SACD Player under $200???

Options
AsSiMiLaTeD
AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
edited April 2004 in Electronics
I wanted to get opinions on the best SACD player under 2 Franklins...

I've got the Pioneer 563A that everyone loves so much, but it doesn't do DVD Video near as good as my Toshiba SD-4800. So I was thinking of keeping the Toshiba for DVD and DVD-A and getting a stand-alone SACD player.

What do you guys think, is there a dedicated player out there that can do SACD better than the Pioneer? I would think the Sony players would be good since it's their tech and all...

Thanks in advance
Post edited by AsSiMiLaTeD on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2004
    Options
    The single tray version of this one is supposed to come out this year. The target price is said to be $150 or less....but I have not actually seen it for sale yet. The objective was to be the most affordable SACD player on the market, and it is funny how Pioneer recently dropped to that target figure also. If it does show up, Crutchfield, BB and CC will most likely have them first.

Sony DVP-NC685V
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • therockman
    therockman Posts: 349
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I would say to wait for the new Sony, it should be a winner at $149. I have been to the Sony site and I have read the specs, sounds like it may be the ticket.

Rocky
    Rocky Bennett
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2004
    Options
    An initial press release in Jan. from one of the East Coast electronics shows had Sony with a new $400 ± SACD-ES Changer and a $150 ± single disc SACD player (non-ES). An official Sony Press reslease in Feb. now has a non-ES SACD changer (From the Sony website):

Sony Broadens SA-CD Offerings With Dedicated Changer And Compatible DVD Dream Systems

Heralding the success of the SA-CD format, Sony announced a new five-disc SA-CD/CD changer, the SCD-CD595. Delivering high-quality multi-channel audio while utilizing a multi-channel management system, the SCD-CD595 is ideal for consumers who are looking to add to their existing component systems or replace a traditional CD-only transport. In addition, Sony introduced a new line of DVD Dream systems with SA-CD compatibility feature that provide convenient surround sound solution to home theater entertainment.

The SA-CD format is continuing to gather momentum with 118 SA-CD compatible products on the worldwide market from 26 manufacturers. Additionally, as of mid-February, 1,084 SA-CD titles were available in the U.S., with approximately 75 percent being hybrid discs that are playable on SA-CD and traditional CD players. SA-CD is widely regarded as the highest quality audio source currently available and highlights the exciting benefits of multi-channel surround sound by reproducing the nuances and power of high resolution audio.

“There are many people who take their music very seriously and have high expectations when it comes to home entertainment,” said Tim Baxter, Senior Vice President for Sony Electronics' Home Products Division. “Devices such as the SCD-CD595 allow consumers to indulge in their audio/video enjoyment with its multi-channel capabilities.”

The new SA-CD changer is equipped with advanced audio features such as Speaker Delay Time Adjustment, which provides ideal sound stage even in less than perfect speaker set-up environment; Multichannel Audio Output and an advanced Multichannel Management system, which adjusts bass frequencies to match speakers. Additional features include a Super Audio D/A Converter for both CD and SA-CD, Digital Optical Output for CD, and 5.1 channel analog RCA outputs. Housed in a black chassis, the SCD-CD595 five-disc changer will be available in July 2004 for about $150.

It looks like this will be a replacement for the very popular SCD-CE775. That was (and is - I own one) a nice SACD changer. For $150 it should be a very good entry point into SACD.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • LuSh
    LuSh Posts: 887
    edited April 2004
    Options
    WARNING***This post is not intended to sound like an Audiophile Snob***

Would you consider waiting till you can afford a better SACD player? Buying a $200 SACD player would be like buying a $90 RCA/JENSON CD player a few years back. It's a high res format on a dirty cheap player. I'm not sure if the satisfaction would be there. Sure your getting into a high res format. But at the price paid, I'm sure a good standalone Red book player could compete. Most of the universal players i've heard, are terrible. HTIAB terrible, with only "features" making them marketable. Not one hour was spent trying to make them sound good. Rather, all time was spent on "customer" needs and useless features most people are force fed.

I'd consider taking the $200 and saving it towards a Sony ES level SACD player. Or buying a decent universal like the Yamaha, Denon 5900, or Onkyo. In the long run you might be throwing away $200 and to me anyways, that's alot of bread for a gizmo.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2004
    Options
    WARNING***This post is not intended to sound like one audio snob agreeing with another audio snob***

I agree totally with LuSh on this one!

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Anyone tried the Denon 2200?

I'm borrowing one this weekend and am going to do some comparisons between that and the 563. I'm expecting the Pioneer to be left in the dust, but I think I've learned my lessons about basing opinions of audio gear on preconceived notions....

We'll see what happens...
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I don't think it's snobby, but a budget is a budget. Who's to say that it just isn't possible for some people? Can't we buy things on our own anymore?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Polkmaniac, if interested, I have a Sony DVP-NC685V 5-disc dvd/sacd player I'd be willing to get rid of for a pretty reasonable price. It was just purchased back in December of 2003, so its not even 4 months old yet. Just thought I'd through that out there.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Grimster74
    Polkmaniac, if interested, I have a Sony DVP-NC685V 5-disc dvd/sacd player I'd be willing to get rid of for a pretty reasonable price. It was just purchased back in December of 2003, so its not even 4 months old yet. Just thought I'd through that out there.

How much were you thinking to sell for?
  • Grimster74
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I'd be willing to part with it for $150. Like I said, it MIGHT have 12 hours of playing time on it if that.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Grimster74
    I'd be willing to part with it for $150. Like I said, it MIGHT have 12 hours of playing time on it if that.

I may be interested. I was gonna run the test mentioned above this weekend with the STR-DA2ES I got from Mark, comparing the Pioneer and Denon, I'm also going to pick up a Sony and throw it in the mis to see which I like best. If you can hold this 'til Monday, I'll let you know then.

Thanks
  • Grimster74
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Of course I can hold on to it till Monday. Doro just purchased my DA4ES receiver and is coming down this weekend to pick it up. I'll have him take a look at the 685V also just to let you know all is good. It is upstairs in my wifes living room now so its not like its in my way.:D
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2004
    Options
    My 2 cents, just a point for clarifaction of Polkmaniac first post. I can objectively confirm that, for under 2 Franklins, DV563 in its stock form, may not be the best SACD player. But, if your intention is to find a decent universal player, I do believe that the Pio provides the best value and technology to build upon. I can't comment on DVD-V performance, since I have not even thought of using its video features, but at that price and other features, I have no unrealistic expectaions.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • madmax
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    Can't we buy things on our own anymore?

Are you NUTS! Make an audio purchase without asking the polk people? What is this audio community coming to. :D

• LuSh
    edited April 2004
    Options
    My point is that he's spent over $200 on interconnets and wiring, why not save the $200 and eventually spend it on the most important part of his system...the source.
  • therockman
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I am not an audiophile snob, I am presently listening to my first SACD player, and I am very happy with it. It is a cheap intro Sony, a $250 model, and it is connected to my system with abot $300 worth of audio interconnects. I like the way it sounds, and I am very pleased with the quality of the unit. I am looking forward to buying the new stand alone Sony ES SACD player that will be coming out this summer. It is projected to sell for about $450 and I already have my new analog interconnects picked out that will set me back about $480. I really feel that everybody should feel free to choose their own equipment, and set their own priorities.

Rocky
    Rocky Bennett
  • madmax
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by therockman
    I really feel that everybody should feel free to choose their own equipment, and set their own priorities.

Rocky

That is just crazy talk. :D

Sorry,
    I just had too...

madmax

• therockman
    edited April 2004
    Options
    madmax, It is because of people like you that I keep coming back here and having fun. This whole forum is just crazy.

Rocky
    Rocky Bennett
  • madmax
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Crazy is playing with the adjustments on my tonearm from 7:00 until 11:00 tonite. Hmmm. Still sounds the same as it did last time I spent the whole evening playing with it...
    madmax

• izafar
    izafar Posts: 814
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I had used Pioneer 563 and currently owns Denon 2200. IMHO 2200 is much better then 563. A lot of people like the sound of 563 but for me it was dull, life less and and had a worse mid range response I ever listened from a CD palyer.
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Recently I just aquired (thanks Mark) the above mentioned Pioneer universal player, for the price, I think you'd be hard pressed to beat it in terms of bang/buck.

For my purposes, I don't expect a LOT from it but it does afford me the opportunity to explore different formats, ie SACD, without breaking the bank. I've ALWAYS been a bit skeptical about the new formats but after the demos at F1's abode and the limited time I've had with this player, yeah, SACD is something that is moving up on my list of priorities.

My original point is, don't poo-poo a cheap universal player, for me, it's perfect. I get to tinker with the new format without paying an arm and a leg.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • LuSh
    edited April 2004
    Options
    My last comment. Do whatever makes you happy, spending more on interconnects then a source boggles my mind. All I can offer is my advice, this is a forum.

If one were to buy a Linn CD-12 then what interconnects would he buy?

Hi-fi is not about the wallet as much as it is about a frame of mind. Source is a very important factor. Spending money on source is ideal, spending money on gizmo's isn't something I'd recommend. You have decent gear, why not save a lil more down the road for the most important part of the system.

Spending more money on interconnects the source is a good way to ensure people like best buy stay in business and ensure lower quality gear thoughout the next decade. Believe me, if they could find a way to convince you that a $50 SACD/DVD/DVD-AUDIO player will sound good with $400 interconnects they will sell you that, they are 2 years away from doing that at any rate.
  • therockman
    edited April 2004
    Options
    LuSh, I guess according to you, I could buy a Musical Fidelity Tri Vista CD player and hook it up to my system using some $3.00 interconnects from Wal Mart. I just can't see your logic.

Rocky
    Rocky Bennett
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I'm wondering where all these expensive interconnects I have are...

I don't really have anything out of the ordinary, at least in my mind...I have $40 worth of sidewinders for my 5.1 interconnects...which is all I use for SACD...

I'd love to be able to go out and grab the expensive Denon stuff, but other priorities interfere. Maybe one day...
  • LuSh
    edited April 2004
    Options
    No rocky, I wouldn't suggest that. I have to ask you, what kinda of interconnects would YOU use? Some that cost twice the amount of the Musical Fidelity?

Your using extremes, I'm using a common sense approach. If you think that expensive interconnects will change your systems dynamics then by all means. I'd stick with gettin the source done right first, then buy what ever interconnects I could afford after. A $700 CD player with $70 interconnects will always sound better then a $70 CDP with $700 interconnects.

I use Cardas, which is about 1/4th the cost of my player.

Spending more money on interconnects then your source is a good way to ensure a very mid-fi big box system put together from a person in a blue shirt who listens to a Sony Boom box at home.
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Everyone has their own justification methods for owning and "upgrading" gear. I don't think this needs to turn into a pissing match about what is essentially a personal opinion.

If someone wants to run $2000 IC's on a vintage, $50 CDP because it happens to be a audio gem....is he stupid? If someone wants to run $3 IC's on a Tri-Vista, because they don't believe in wire BS...is he stupid? This whole argument is stupid...it's personal choice not a democracy.

The suggestions and comments made by all parties are valid opinion, including Lush's. I think that source is important also, but a budget is a budget...and budgets have led me by the nose for years.

Why does the asking of opinion in this place always turn into, no don't buy that....buy this. No, don't buy that $200 CDP, buy this $4000 one.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2004
    Options
    but a budget is a budget...and budgets have led me by the nose for years.
    Some of the more interesting threads on this forum in the past were about putting together legitimate systems (usually 2 channel) for $1, 000 or $1,500 or whatever. With a little creativity and research it is amazing what you can do on a budget.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • LuSh
    edited April 2004
    Options
    dorokusai
    "Why does the asking of opinion in this place always turn into, no don't buy that....buy this. No, don't buy that $200 CDP, buy this $4000 one."

Cuz people have asked for opinions and some people give them. I don't understand what you are having trouble with.
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Lush - What I get tired of reading, and I am not trying to single you out, but you do fit in here....is a post where someone will ask about a particular brand...A PARTICULAR BRAND...and wants to know opinions on it. What does he get? 100 suggestions of how to spend his money on everything BUT the brand he originally mentioned.

If he asks about certain gear in a price bracket, then it makes more sense.....and you would presume that it wouldn't even get into a >300 bracket....but lo and behold....classic Polk, it does.

Don't you get it? He set a $200 budget, roughly I am sure, AND it looks to me as though he is motivated to buy soon. What does he get?

Save your money

THEN

Interconnects

I have talked with Polkamaniac, sold gear to this man...and he is way smart enough to find and know about the real high end gear, if applicable. I am sure he appreciates the views and opinions expressed by all the members, but damn, can't a Polkie get a break?
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    I have talked with Polkamaniac, sold gear to this man...and he is way smart enough to find and know about the real high end gear, if applicable. I am sure he appreciates the views and opinions expressed by all the members, but damn, can't a Polkie get a break?

And I AM loving the AVR Mark, truly awesome as you said...

And that's Polkateer dammit :D