PSW303 Manual Problem

Options
haimoc
haimoc Posts: 1,031
Could anyone confirm that the Figure 6 and 7 of the PSW303 manual are wrong?

Should the left and right (front) wires from receiver output go to the sub level input?

And should the left and right (front) wires from the sub level output go to the left and right front speakers?

The text on page 3 is as above, but the figures are different?

Thanks.
Post edited by haimoc on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited April 2004
    Options
    The manual looks OK to me. But bass management is confusing. How would you like to connect your sub? With a sub cable or with speaker wire? What speaker system do you have? We'll help you get connected and thumping.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • haimoc
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I have PSW303, RM6700, and Pioneer 912k receiver.

I am not sure which method of wire connecting is better. But for now, I think I go with the manual recommendation with RM satelites. That means connecting Sub with the speaker wires, then connect two front speakers with the Sub. The center and surround speakers are connected to the receiver.

From looking at the Figure 6 (PSW 303 manual), the speaker wires (front) go from the receiver to the "Speaker Level Output" of the Sub. Then, the speaker wires go from the "Speaker Level Input" of the Sub to the front speakers. Is this wrong? The figure seems to be contradiction with the text on page 3 of the manual.

Please help me out of this confusion. Thanks.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2004
    Options
    The picture is wrong. Go in with "in" and go out with "out".

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • haimoc
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.. This confirms what I thought. I am new to the setup, so I decide with what the manual recommended (Not using the Sub cable connected with the receiver) for now.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I'll have to take another look at those diagrams - one of them was for a parallel connection, if I recall. If there really is a mistake, then someone should point it out to Polk. The first diagram showing speaker level looked OK to me.

Regardless....

Set all speakers to small except the front L/R.

Set the front L/R to large.

Set the sub to off/no.

Run the AVR front L/R speaker outputs to the speaker inputs on the sub.

Run the speaker outputs on the sub to the front L/R speakers.

Set the filter control on the 303 to about 120 Hz (or wherever Polk exactly specifies).

Adjust the sub volume level with the sub amp gain control so that it blends well with all the other speakers.

Enjoy!
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • haimoc
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Thanks, Dr. Spec. Your instruction is very clear. I will try your setup instruction.

I was somewhat confused from reading the manual. Yes, the digrams (Fig. 6 and 7) of the manual are wrong, but the text is correct.

I think Polk should correct the manual because I believe there are some people who just follow the diagrams instead of reading the text.
  • haimoc
    edited April 2004
    Options
    This is the link to manual.. The filename is PSW303_404_505_Manual.pdf.

http://www.polkaudio.com/downloads/manuals/home/PSW303_404_505_Manual.pdf