Sub Box Do you need?

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited April 2004 in Car Subwoofer Talk
do you need a sub box aroound you subs or is it better to just leave out the sound coil? what is the best way to get the most bass out of your subs?
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2004
    Options
    you need a box...built to the specs the sub requires...or else your sub will blow...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2004
    Options
    nah i think he means can you "invert" mount a sub ---

ya u can mount a sub inverted - where the sub fires into the box and the voice coil/magnet assembly is all outside of the box....

wont make much of a difference... in higher power subs you'll notice a bit "louder" response when you moutn them normally though.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    Options
    i've never quite understood that... i've seen a few systems where all the magnets and guts are in view and the cone face is inside the box. the only reason i can think of to do that is to be able to build the box a bit smaller. cause i personally think the system should be an extension of the car, not with wires and stuff hanging out. no offense to cody and his awesome install...

oh, and to the original question - bandpass boxes are huge and will give you the most output for a given sub. if you haven't already, wiring the sub(s) for the lowest impedance possible will give you the most output, at the cost of a little sq.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs