Speaker Setup with new Pioneer 1121 k

Options
Jp381242
Jp381242 Posts: 60
edited November 2011 in Speakers
I have a question. I was always told to keep my speakers set to small. I ran the MCACC auto cal. on my new Pioneer 1121k reciever and it set them to large. I am using Moniter 70 speakers. Also I noticed my bass was low so I turned my sub back up a bit. Any thoughts? Other wise I think the system sounds great.

Thanks!
Post edited by Jp381242 on

Comments

• Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Monitor 70s have a lower +/- 3dB limit of 40 Hz, so they should be set to small. Might be why the bass was lacking a bit. I would manually set them to small, run the calibration again and see if it changes them back to large.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,910
    edited November 2011
    Options
    The calibration isn't gospel, so tweeking the settings to your taste is preferred after you run the calibration. Best to go into the menu and see where it set your speaker and sub levels to. Boost that sub level up to around +3 to start and adjust to your liking, take a look see at the front speaker levels too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Theheadsn
    Theheadsn Posts: 413
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Ill tell u this, when I had my 1020k, and now with me sc-37, spend the time and tweak with the settings. Try different things. I was always so worried when I first got my pioneer like I was using someone elses equipment. Remember its YOURs to learn from, good and bad. Think of it this way, if you change something or tweak it and cant figure out how to change it back; just reset the receiver, and your good to go. No harm no foul
    Home Theater Setup
    • Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    • Mains - Polk RTi A9's
    • External Amps - Outlaw 2200 Monoblocks for L/R/C
    • Center - Polk CSiA6
    • Side Surrounds - Polk FXiA6's
    • Atmos - 4 Polk 80F/X RT's
    • Sub - SVS PC-4000
    • T.V. - LG OLED65C7P

• Jp381242
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Very ture Theheadsn. It put my sub to -10 and set my Moniters to large. There goes all bass! I turned my sub back up a bit. I think I will set the speakers to small again. I could never understand why VERY LARGE speakers would be set to small but it does seem to sound better in some cases. Otherwise the reciver is great. I love the Android App.

Also I am using a PSW10 Sub. (Hoping to grab a PSW 505 for xmass)
  • evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    edited November 2011
    Options
    With my 1020 I would calibrate and it would select the speaker as large, but they are crs+ and I also noticed the lack of bass even if I turned up the subwoofer. I had to set the speaker to small and the subwoofer to "plus" before I could hear it. Now I realize it was calibrated for Movies rather than music. So the bass would really only kick in for the really low frequencies, otherwise it wasn't there too much.

I got an older elite series which sounds much better and has preouts for my amp. One thing that I found out that helps is to use an spl meter to calibrate after the mcacc calibration. The mcacc is good for setting speaker distance and for checking polarity, but the individual levels were wayyyy off. Once I recalibrated the individual speakers using the spl meter my system came alive, especially the surrounds for movies as well as music. For two channel it properly balanced the subwoofer bass with my front CRS+ speakers. The spl meter I'm using is just my iphone with a one dollar spl app. I think I'll spring for a spl meter from radio shack for christmas.

I really like the sound of the Pioneer avr even the entry level 1020.

Get an SPL meter, don't worry about the speakers set to small, and you'll be quite happy. And that's great advice to continue to experiment with various settings even if you reset all settings. You will enjoy the changes and will eventually get to a happy level. I still continue to tweak my settings.
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe
  • Jp381242
    edited November 2011
    Options
    SBL Meter.... I know they have apps so you can use your phone as one. What should I be looking for? Same DB level for each speaker?
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited November 2011
    Options
    That's SPL meter. And I'd use a dedicated one, not your phone.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • evhudsons
    edited November 2011
    Options
    yep get a real one. I did the app because it was only a dollar but the iphone mic can't possibly be as good as a real spl meter.

I'm getting mine tonight and doing another calibration. With all the money sunk into getting great sound, I think a real dedicated SPL meter is essential.

I'm new too at this, but as I understand it you set each speaker to an equal level which allows the track recordings to be played back properly as intended. Some people start the range at 70 or 75, but I did mine at 80. 90 was too high.

Hopefully others will chime in with better information than I have.
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe
  • Jp381242
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys. Let me get this straight. I should have the same dbs for each speaker from where I am sitting right? So say 70 dbs is where I want to be at (may do 60, small room). I would set them all to 60 by adjusting the channel vol/level)

I.E.

Front R could be at 0 - 60DB
    Front L could be at -2 - 60DB from listening position
  • Glowrdr
    Glowrdr Posts: 1,103
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Exactly. The goal is to blend all of the channels into each other. For music, this prevents lopsided stereo (or your center blaring at you rather than a full sound wall). In a movie, this could cause something like a car scene, traveling from left to right - to be really quiet left, loud center, and quiet again on the right.
    65" Sony X900 (XBR-65X900E)
    Pioneer Elite SC-37
    Polk Monitor 70's (2)
    Polk Monitor 40's (4)
    Polk Monitor CS2
    Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Oppo BDP-93
    Squeezebox Duet
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Dish Network "The Hoppa"
  • Jp381242
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Got it. Ill have the use the phone app for now and get a real spl meter. Im going to set all 5 channels to 60 db tonight. I think this will improve the system a lot. Is there a way to measure the sub? I have set the phase so its LFE. PSW10 at the moment. PSW 505after xmas.....
  • evhudsons
    edited November 2011
    Options
    One more bit of advice from a newbie like me: Point your spl meter towards your fronts and at the exact level of your ears in the seat YOU will be sitting. Forget about guests, wife and dog. It makes a huge difference and you may want to do a few calibrations in one night just to see the differences. Choose a source movie or music so you can tell the difference with consistency. I did. I was watching a movie last night with a rain scene, and the rain was audibly coming from all around me, front behind, sides and above and hitting the floor below. It was awesome! But a few db's off and you won't get the full effect.

I have the same question on the subs. I'm not sure how to equalize that in the equation. For now I just adjust according to taste. As long as everything else is equal, it blends well enough.
  • Jp381242
    Options
    Just took a look at some old post. I have always remembered this one lol.