Get your feet wet w/a cheap power cord...

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,521
edited April 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
I found an inexpensive yet real nice upgrade power cord you might want to try if you've been feeling like experimenting with power cord tweaks. The Volex Model 17604 is a 3 wire/shielded 14awg cable that runs about $10 each in the 2 meter length, just search it in Yahoo, many folks sell it. I've ordered 3 of them for my system from Allied Electronics....just an FYI...
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited March 2004
    isnt it just a iec power cord like from a computer, or stock... I looked it up and seems to be a stock cord, maybe i missed something??
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2004
    It's starting to get a small following in the "tweak it on the cheap" crowd. They are modding them with Levitron plugs, etc etc.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2004
    Yes and no. It's a molded plug, but 14awg rather than the stock 18awg power cables typically shipped with equipment, and shielded. A pretty good step-up from the stock cable. Most 14awg aftermarket cables will run you $50 and up, I thought this was a good deal....
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited March 2004
    Originally posted by steveinaz
    Get your feet wet w/a cheap power cord...
    That promises to be a "shocking" experience ...
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2004
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    It's starting to get a small following in the "tweak it on the cheap" crowd. They are modding them with Levitron plugs, etc etc.

Cheers,
    Russ

I figured for 10 bucks, why not give it shot?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2004
    Why the hell not, I agree.

You found a site to buy them yet? If so, link me up.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2004
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited March 2004
    I'm gonna have to look into this. I'd suggested monitor power cords before. Thanks for the info.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited March 2004
    Ok i'll check em out.. I just wasnt sure when i looked briefly on the sites i found..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2004
    I received the Volex power cords; very nice, thick but not too stiff. The IEC connector is real nice. Check'm out. I found them on another site for $6.99, (sorry can't remember what it was).
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited March 2004
    This site has them for $4.71 each if you buy two. At least I think I found the right cord...

http://www.carlton-bates.com/

Link to cord
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2004
    Yep, that's the right part number..awesome price. Of course you always find a better price AFTER you've bought the damn thing..LOL. Even at $10 a pop they are worth it.
  • aba4430
    aba4430 Posts: 80
    edited March 2004
    Guys,
    Excellent price, no doubt. I could use these to replace the ~26 year old power cord on my Sony TC-K6 cassette deck. Does it matter whether the OE one is 2-conductor or not? Should not, but want to be sure! Plus, could upgrade some other computer and monitor cords as well. Does anyone have a link to an illustration of the cord?
    Regards,
    aba
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2004
    The cord is a 3-wire configuartion with an IEC female. Volex does make 2-wire cables as well....
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2004
    Well, I bought two from the "even cheaper site" that tryrrthg listed.

One is going to join the SC cord doro is putting into the cable audition thread.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited April 2004
    I'm gonna pick up three of them myself. One for my Parasound, one for the NEC CD-ROM that's on the way, and for the DAC that I'm sure I'll be getting in the coming weeks.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • I-SIG
    edited April 2004
    My cords showed up today. I won't get to spend any serious time with them until next week as my lil' sis' will be in town this weekend.

They are pretty beefy, no doubt. Pretty stiff, but definitely not 4/0ACSR!

I assume that I should expect an overall increase in sound quality right? Nothing in particular? Or will it depend on the equipmentas much as anything? I haven't really messed with power stuff, at least on this low voltage. :D

Wes

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2004
    Parasound equipment comes with 14awg cords out-of-the-box; I do seem to notice tighter/deeper bass.
  • I-SIG
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by steveinaz
    Parasound equipment comes with 14awg cords out-of-the-box; I do seem to notice tighter/deeper bass.

Not the 2200 I just got. Granted it wasn't new, but it definitely had a cheesey computer cord. I think it helped some. I doubt a new CD player (the NEC external CDROM Sena's always raving about) would be responsible for some deeper bass.

Wes