Mobile Monitor Enclosures

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited March 2004 in Custom Fabrication
I have an old 1980s vintage pair of Mobile Monitors (MMIII) that I'd like to install in the new leased car I got from work. These speakers are still in good condition and still sound good - well done Polk.

The new car has provisions for rear door speaker mounting, but these speakers won't fit, and since it's a leased car I can't do any cutting. Same with the rear deck - no cutting allowed, so I decided to make small enclosures and place them on the rear deck.

I'm looking for technical recommendations for the enclosures. I realize that the speakers aren't going in a sound room, but if I'm already making enclosures, I may as well match them to the speakers if possible. Here are the factors I thought should be considered:

a. Enclosure material (particle board or plywood I suppose)
b. Dimensions
c. Volume
d. Venting
e. Damping

I will be driving the speakers with a Kenwood KRC-608 that's rated at 45 W peak (22 W rms) per channel. It drove these speakers fine in the past, when they were mounted in free air in the rear deck of my previous car.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

And thanks again Polk for making speakers that last and continue to sound good.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• YossiD
    YossiD Posts: 1
    edited March 2004
    Options
    "Replying" to my own post.

Forgot to ask about orientation. My original intention was to have the speakers "lying down" as they would be if mounted in the rear deck, but with the top slightly angled to cut down on standing waves and direct the sound forward in the car at the same time. Is this a good idea?

I suppose I could have the enclosures standing up with the speakers pointing forward (and slightly up?), but that might impair rear-view visibility a bit, and I suspect the enclosures might fall over, depending on their size.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2004
    Options
    either way should be good, since u dont want much high-end from the rear (so the image stays up front) and bass is less directional than treble.

arent you attaching the enclosure anyway? i.e. why would orientation matter for stability?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2004
    Options
    forgot about these:
    a) enclosure material - MDF, 1/2" or more
    b) dimensions - dunno, depends upon...
    c) volume, which i dunno
    d) venting - i wouldn't rec this, but it's your equipment
    e) damping - minimal
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs