Fixed vs Variable Line Out on Denon DCD-910

Calverley
Calverley Posts: 9
edited March 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Gents and Ladies
I just received a Denon DCD 910 that I purchased on Ebay for $45 including shipping. The manual did not come with it and I see two sets of Line Out jacks on the back. When I connect the "Fixed Line Out" to my amp, I get hum whenever the amp is powered up. When I use the "Variable Line Out" jacks, the hum is gone and the volume is drastically reduced - i.e. I'll listen at 5 on the amp dial rather than 1. With my old Sony CD player, the volume level was similar to the "Fixed" jacks outcome with this one. Can someone explain what is happening and educate me a little about these two sets of outpus?

Ted
Post edited by Calverley on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2004
    i think you want to use the fixed outputs. if you're going to a receiver or pre amp. and use the variable outputs if you are hooking it up directly to a amp.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited March 2004
    Fixed outputs are just that. Fixed in intensity. Just like the fixed intensity output of a turntable, or most dvd players. That set of outputs sounds like it has a bad connection or loose wire on your machine.

Variable outputs can be varied in intensity. They can usually be varied in intensity using the remote control and sometimes the headphone level controller. Sometimes there is also a dedicated output control knob just for those variable output jacks.

Variable output jacks can be used in a system where you want to bypass the preamp stage, and go directly to a power amp (that lacks input level controls). The fixed output outputs can also be used with no preamp, but the power amp needs to have input level controls. Your variable outputs may be on a very low output setting if you really have to crank your volume knob around. Sometimes thats good though.

I'm assuming when you say amp, you mean receiver.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited March 2004
    I would just add that I have an older Denon DCD 1520 that has fixed and variable outputs. When I got the machine, the fixed outputs DID have a bad connection that resulted in a hum. I took it apart and re-soldered the connection. Now it works great. On an older player, those jacks may have seen a lot of use, and sometimes the internal connections just get pulled loose (especially with tight-gripping, high-end interconnects).

BTW, on my Denon the variable outputs can be varied with the headphone output control. Don't know about the remote, since I don't have it.

Jason C
  • Calverley
    edited March 2004
    Gentlemen
    Thank you - it was indeed a bad connection on the Fixed outputs which I have fixed and ... no hum. Since I don't have the remote, I may try to hook up the fixed again and see if the headphone volume control varies the "Variable" output level. Thanks for the information, the problem is not fixed. - Ted
  • Calverley
    edited March 2004
    I meant the problem IS fixed and I may hook up the variable line out and test the headphone volume dial. Long day I guess.