Polk adio RTA15t's

Options
jon1redleg
jon1redleg Posts: 242
edited October 2011 in Forum Testing Area
Hi, I am new to this club and own a set of polk rta15's. I purchased them in Germany while stationed there back in 1990 and need some info. The speakers are in like new condition and the problem is the tweeters are starting to crackle a bit and need replaced. I an wanting to sell them but want to put new tweeters in before I do so. Can any one help?
Post edited by jon1redleg on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,819
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Your speakers are actually RTA 15TL's. There is a polyswitch in series with the tweeter that degrades over time. It is possible that it is the cause of the crackle. Try jumping the polyswitch to see if that solves the problem. If not, you can order new tweeters (RD0198-1) directly from Polk.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jon1redleg
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Thanks I'll most probable buy new. Do know what the cost might be?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,819
    edited October 2011
    Options
    You really should check the polyswitches first.

I believe the new tweeters are $60.00 each.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jon1redleg
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I am pretty new at this,what is all involved in checking switches and how easy is it to get to them?
    Also what if it is the polyswitches?
  • stormwind13
    stormwind13 Posts: 14
    edited October 2011
    Options
    poly switches are small disc shaped things that heat up as your tweeters play. If they get too hot they will cut the power to your tweeters. The older they get, the easier they trip. Most people just bypass them in favor of a resistor or a jumper. They should be on your crossover board, small and shaped like a dime but a little smaller. There will be 2 wires coming out of it soldered onto your x-over board.