cable question

read-alot
read-alot Posts: 812
I have finally after 17 years of listening to my Polks (sdas and monitors)decided to add a subwoofer for my HT setup.My question is there a difference in the sound in a standard good quality RCA audio cable and the ones that are dedicated sub cables?
I would like to thank Polk for having this forum and you fellow Polksters as I have learned much by reading alot,and knowing that my old sdas still sound just as good if not better than the day I took them out of the show room says alot about the company.
Thanks, Mike
polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
Rega Apollo
MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
B&K 505
Samsung LCD
VIP 622
HSU STF-2
Post edited by read-alot on

Comments

• Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited March 2004
    Welcome to the Forum.
    IMO i would say a good standard RCA cable would do but i would make sure its shielded. I just bought a 20 Monster Sub cable and works fine for me. What sub you pic up?

Spaz
    Life without music would
  • read-alot
    edited March 2004
    Thanks.
    Its a HSU STF-2.
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited March 2004
    never heard one but here its a good sub. Enjoy!

Spaz
    Life without music would
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2004
    Hsu? Gezundheit...

Welcome to the Club... You've been lurking a while haven't you? No fear, bud. Our barks a lot worse than our bite... :D

So what else you got?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • read-alot
    edited March 2004
    Thanks for the welcome and yes I have been lurking(reading) here for over a year now.My equipment has mostly centered around a pair of SDA 2s that blew me away back in 86.Over the years I added 4 Monitor 2s and a cs100 for a modest HT setup.The HSU is the only non Polk in the house.One more year of college for my 2 children and I plan on upgrading to a better surround system.I have a old Luxman,Phase Linear setup for the SDAs and a XR45 digital amp for the HT.I will try the 45 with the 2 SDAs as mains in the next week just to see if the little digital amp can drive 4ohms with the same clarity and punch.
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2004
    Yup, those graduations are like getting a BIG pay raise... Had one a few years ago. The support doesn't stop, but it sure as hell drops...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD