affordable SACD players?

Options
TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited March 2004 in Electronics
For those with SACD / Universal / whatever....

I'm interested in what people think of the budget SACD players, if they are worth the investment....or at what pricepoint are they worth getting so on, and so forth.

Just looking for ideas.

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2004
    Options
    The Pioneer DV-563A is a great small investment Universal. It is currently $149.99 at Crutchfield, and they also have a scratch and dent for $129.99. At that price it's a no-brainer...shite, I could buy that FOR you and we would be almost square :D

The next step up, IMO, would be the Denon 2200 @ around $500
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited March 2004
    Options
    best buy this week is offering a free sacd or dvd-a disk with the pioneer purchase, they allow 35 for the disk i think it said.. I got the toshiba sd-4900 but wish i had got the pioneer as this only does dvd-A,, but at 74.99 it works great
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    The Pioneer DV-563A is a great small investment Universal. It is currently $149.99 at Crutchfield, and they also have a scratch and dent for $129.99. At that price it's a no-brainer...shite, I could buy that FOR you and we would be almost square :D

The next step up, IMO, would be the Denon 2200 @ around $500

Ok, I'm not morally conflicted by the idea. Steal Jesse's copy of Steely Dan, stick it in the box and send that **** on.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited March 2004
    Options
    a quote from Alex (aplhifi.com), who does extensive mod on this player...

Starting from the transport, it has a stepped tracking motor for extremely fast and accurate laser pick up tracking. It also comes with a high torque 3 phase brushless, slotless spindle motor. This is very important and far superior to the usual DC motors which are really noisy and have poor reliability.

Next comes the Servo control which is based on DSP as well. This is a common approach for most of the manufacturers as the days of the Analog Servo systems ended about 10 years ago. So we have a nice and super fast Digital Servo.

The DSP of the Pioneer is really advanced. It is built around STi ASIC which provides many functions - MPEG processing with progressive scan, Dolby Digital, DTS, MLP (DVD-A) decoding and data expansion from 16 bit to 24 bit for redbook CD. This DSP uses 128 Mbit of external SDRAM which buffers (not compressed buffering) and re-clocks the data from all PCM sources. This practically eliminates jitter and the need of "Super Clocks".

The SACD decoding is done with the latest and greatest Philips second generation SACD decoder.

The DAC is one of the latest developments by Burr Brown DSD-1791. It is a nice little DAC. I don't like it as much as my all times favorite Crystal DACs, but it comes really close.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.