Shanling S-200 CDP

LuSh
LuSh Posts: 887
edited March 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Anybody listen to this player? It's the Shanling Solid State CD player that plays SACD in two channel as well. Parts Connexion's Chris Johnson is offering a mod on it to enhance normal redbook playback. I've heard nothing but good things about this player. I will demo it, but I was curious to opinions against Rega's, Roksans and Musical Fidelity stuff.
Post edited by LuSh on

Comments

• pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited March 2004
    Hi LuSh. Wow you are going super hi-end now. Unfortunately, I have never heard that Shanling player but you are correct about the reviews.

Did you get to listen to the MF cdp the other day?

I wanted to add another player to your research list. It is a player that Polkatese owns and has posted some reviews about. I have high regard for Polkatese's opinion on this modder.

Here is a link to the person who does the mods and another link to a very informative thread in another forum. Alex definitely sounds like he knows his stuff.

http://www.aplhifi.com/Philips1000.html

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=8790&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2004
    I just looked at that player today in all seriousness of purchasing it. I'm thinking a transport and dac from olden days may be much more significant. From GC it is only $2200. You can find a nice high end transport/dac combo for half the cost and I'm betting if you picked the right parts you could have twice the performance. I'm looking as you may be so who knows. I'm thinking times have not changed so much that the older tp/dacs would not do you better. Same boat here. It does have a certain cool factor but I'm afraid a few yesrs down the road people will be laughing at it. ???
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • madmax
    edited March 2004
    Originally posted by ATCVenom
    You're not going to get better value/performance than a dedicated AUDIO/PC system. All in due time, people will become familiar with the concept and learn to love its value.

Please explain??

• LuSh
    edited March 2004
    I dont know where you guys are gettin your prices from but I'm talkin about the S series CDP not the Tube one, the Solid state CDP retails for $1700 CDN. It must be cheaper in the States.
  • madmax
    edited March 2004
    MadMax,

Hold on to your seat-belt, a new era in sources is beginning to emerge.

Im talking about dedicated Vinyl rigs that would give you a hard on, Digital sources that dwell into the 4k region. Every one of them has DITCHED their stuff for these inexpensive solutions.

Sean

Does it sound better OR were they just ready for a cheaper solution with more features OR were they looking for something inexpensive they could play with?

I'm betting they are looking at the whole combination of the above rather than solely the sound quality. I heard this same mumbojumbo back when some company put a tube in the output of the sound card. Well, anyone can do that and say it is the same quality as any audiophile product but certainly it was an add-on afterthought sort of thing.

I'm not saying it won't come about but I have to wonder if they are not concentrating on meaningless specs and whiz-bang features at this point in time. It sure is cool that you can do anything you want with your music all in one nice box.

Another thing I wonder about is glitches in the sound. Not quality glitches but massive high output fatal type glitches. These are still computers in the year 2004, right? Could you say a person could comfortably hook up a few thousand uncontrollable watts from a computer and hook their precious SDA's to it? I'm not ready yet.

madmax

Edit: I'll look for the link I spoke of earlier. Yes, it was the tube one I was looking at, not the SS one.

• madmax
    edited March 2004
    MadMax,
    Clearly, many people are hesitant to take such a thought seriously. Those people, such as yourself, will have your reasons. What I wrote was simply to offer an unusual perspective for if nothing more, than to make people aware of other options and upcoming solutions.

With computer sources, and the progression of “digital” amplifiers, this is becoming a very exciting time in audio.

Sean

Actually I am very much interested. As a matter of fact I have been considering an audio only computer source already. Just for the fun of it though. This does not mean that I accept that it is going to sound better than other traditional sources. That whole hard drive thing and not having jitter because it is more stable than a CD (even though you just ripped a CD to it) still sounds like someone is a little off to me. Actually, it sounds like BS. Maybe you can explain it in such a way as I can understand it? I believe we have had this discussion before. Seriously, how does that work?

madmax

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2004
    So what's the deal with the Shanling CDP?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • madmax
    edited March 2004
    I couldnt tell you step by step how a CD player works for that matter.

Now that would be helpful. I'm going to disect one shortly to look at all the signal paths, dac, power supplies, datastream etc. Probably some time this month. I wish I had a schematic! No real project, just interested. I think a few people here at work would be interested in seeing all the waveforms and how it actually works as well.

Here is the link on the CD player I mentioned earlier.
    http://www.gcaudio.com/cgi-bin/store/showProduct.cgi?id=147

madmax

• Turbota
    Turbota Posts: 255
    edited March 2004
    "Wardsweb" over on the AudioKarma board posted a pic of his Shanling. This thing looks fabulous.

attachment.php?s=&postid=136609
    2-Channel Audio
    Onkyo ... A-9050 . . .Integrated Amp. (Power Amp Section not Used)
    Onkyo ... M-282 . ... Power Amps .(Pair)
    Onkyo ... C-7030 . _.CD Player
    Polk . . *. RTi A7 - ....Front Speakers
    Polk . . *. RTi A3 - ....Rear Speakers
  • LuSh
    edited March 2004
    I think people are confushed, I was talkin about the S-200 not the T-200, I dont have a tube setup. The S is alot cheaper as well.