Who'd of thunk it? PBR becoming the beer of choice.

Options
Spoonman
Spoonman Posts: 135
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Matt Dixon sips beer from a red, white and blue aluminum can in a smoky corner of Betty’s Food and Spirits, a dimly lit hangout for local artists, college students and restaurant workers.

Bartenders pour 13 different microbrews for $3.75 a pint at Betty’s, but the best-selling beer is Dixon’s choice, $1.50-a-pint Pabst Blue Ribbon, a former blue-collar favorite decades removed from its heyday.

Pabst Blue Ribbon, or simply PBR, is enjoying an unlikely comeback across the country. After a steady decline since the 1970s, sales rose about 5 percent in 2002 and 15 percent in 2003.

“It’s just cold and refreshing,” Dixon said between gulps. “It’s not a bad beer. You just have to get beyond the fact that it’s what your dad drinks.”

In 2001, sales of the 160-year-old brand had fallen to less than 1 million barrels, about one-tenth its peak in 1975, said Pabst Brewing Co. senior brand manager Neal Stewart.

Betty’s owner Elizabeth Lessner said distributors laughed at her when she began asking for kegs of Pabst three years ago. But it was about that time that Pabst’s comeback had started — Stewart said the beer’s resurgence began when young consumers in Portland, Ore., adopted the brew.

There had been no change in marketing. Pabst somehow appealed to trendsetters: punk rockers, people into bluegrass, kayakers and mountain bikers, Stewart said.

The brand is the top seller in Portland’s Lutz Tavern, which began carrying it in 1999 to replace a discontinued regional beer.

‘It’s really popular with not only the college students but also the working class guy and the Social Security crowd.’

“It’s really popular with not only the college students but also the working class guy and the Social Security crowd,” said Lilias Barisich, whose family has operated the bar since 1954.

The revival spread to cities like San Francisco and Seattle before hopping across the country to the Northeast, Stewart said. By some accounts, its young buyers are rebelling against established, mass-marketed brands.

“There’s a theory that there’s a niche out here for a consumer that’s anti-marketing,” said Eric Shepard, executive editor of Beer Marketer’s Insights.

Betty’s owner Lessner said, “People are really sick of the Budweiser-type marketing with naked girls and cars. Pabst is kinda hokey and nostalgic and people like it.”

The San Antonio-based Pabst Brewing Co.’s marketing strategy — or lack thereof — eschews conventional advertising in favor of generating word-of-mouth buzz.

While you won’t find any Pabst commercials on NFL telecasts or FM radio, Stewart said you might notice the company sponsoring an art gallery opening or running ads for bands in local publications. But chances are, the only place you’ll see the Pabst logo is at a local bar or convenience store beer aisle: The company’s marketing budget is minuscule by industry standards.

In 2002, Pabst spent $427,000 on measured media, which includes television, magazines, billboards, radio and newspapers, compared to Anheuser-Busch’s $419 million and Miller’s $275 million.

The low-key approach has resonated with customers. At Betty’s, Tanya Brooks ordered a Pabst and explained she’s sick of beer advertising that exploits women. The 28-year-old waitress said she’d be disappointed to ever see a Pabst Blue Ribbon advertising campaign.

“My dad drank PBR. It was never about being sexy,” she said.

At the Cave, a bar known for live music across the street from the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, Pabst is one of the most popular and cheapest beers, owner Dave Sorrell said.

“It’s what I drink,” he said. “It’s just a plain, old, simple beer.”

Distributors across the country confirm the brand’s success but say they don’t quite understand it. In Nashville, Tenn., sales shot up 99 percent in 2003, said DET Distributing Co. general manager John Curley.

“It’s almost got this cult-type following,” he said. “I have never seen that kind of growth, especially in a brand that’s been down and out.”

On Chicago’s north side, Louis Glunz Beer Inc. added Pabst to a list of beers it recommends to bars and stores after sales went up by about 35 percent in each of the past two years, general manager Jerry Glunz said.

“Pabst was not that kind of beer you had to sell in only the cheap joints anymore,” he said.

Despite PBR’s success, its parent company is still a distant fourth in the domestic beer market, Shepard said. In 2003, the Pabst Brewing Co. sold an estimated 8 million barrels overall and 1 million barrels of PBR, while Anheuser-Busch sold about 103 million barrels, Miller 38 million and Coors 22 million.

“It’s a nice story for Pabst that Pabst Blue Ribbon has caught on and is quite popular in many markets, but I don’t know if any of the major brewers are quaking in their boots,” Shepard said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4562907/
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2004
    Options
    While growing up in the Chicago area I remember PBR beer as well as a few others. As youngsters we pretty much had to drink what we could get our hands on. Some others I remember
    Stroh's, Old Style( This was my favorite)--Hamms (Loved that Hamms Bear on the Cubs games)and Schlitz ( The Beer that made Milwaukee famous).

This post is not to be considered an endorsement of under age drinking, it is simply the fond remembrance of wastefull youthfullness which I enjoyed to the fullest.:cool:
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Never had PBR, need to give it a try.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited March 2004
    Options
    No, you don't...........YUK!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    No, you don't...........YUK!!!

I'll agree... when I was about 6;) between Dads wine barrels and the stacked cases of PBR bottals I learned real fast to stay with the Vino.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited March 2004
    Options
    This exact story appeared in my local paper as well... I'll have to see if they gave credit where credit is due. And I mean, word for word...
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Tried it once, once. I liken it to Bud or Coors.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2004
    Options
    My Dad drank PBR, his dad drank PBR, HIS dad drank PBR....it's sorta a family tradition.

Having said that, I prefer darker beer, however as far as cheap beer goes, I'd take PBR over a Budwieser any day. MHL in bottles is my favorite cheap beer though.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited March 2004
    Options
    The cheap beer here is Yuengling which is usually about a dollar a bottle or less. I can get a 24 pack for about $22.50 or a 6 pack for about 4-7 bucks. That's a Yuengling Lager too, not a light beer or anything. It's a local brew though, brewed in Pottsville, Pennsylvania but an good brew nonetheless. Quality can be a hit and miss but there is very little commercialization to it and the beer doesn't have many preservatives in it either. Unlike the big brewers like Busch, Coors and Miller.

As far as mass market beers goes, I think any Miller brew has the other big two beat, easily. There is one other huge brewer that most people forget and it's a real shame because they really do make good beer and that's Molson. My favorites are Molson Ice and Molson Canadian. They can be hard to find at times though especially the farther south you go. Sometimes you can get lucky though and find imported Molson Canadian which is nice because the Molson Canadian from Canada has a more rich and full body to it than the stuff we get in the states.

Pabst though, my grandfather used to drink it but only when it was on sale. He usually stuck with the mid-west beers he grew up with like Schlitz, Stroh and Piels. Me, aside from Yuengling and Molson, I look for the local micro-brews. There are a couple around here that are worthy of mention. River Horse and Weyerbacher are a couple that I've really taken a liking too.

I'd say that we should start a micro-brew trading program for those who are interested but it's illegal in NJ to ship booze over state lines without a permit.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • hoosier21
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Yuengling is my favorite beer right now, I am sure it has a lot to do with how hard it is to get, got to cross the border into Alabama to even find it, it is good stuff, runs about a dollar a beer.

I second Troy's vote for MHL in the bottle for my everyday beer, nothing better than Miller in the cooler iced down.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I stay away from all the mass-marketed yellow-pee beers. I prefer a dark ale, stout, or porter. British ales and micro's are what I look for when I'm at the liquor store or a bar/restaurant. If I'm ever at a brew-pub that has something cask, then it's even better. I love room-temp cask beer. I had a good cask Rye Stout this past weekend from a local brewery here in Chicago that makes decent beer--Goose Island. My beer habit is too expensive, though. I'll go to a liquor store and drop $30 on three six-packs and a 16.9 oz bottle of something special like Chimay, Sam Adams Chocolate Bock, or a beer from Maine that I can't think of right now. The beer that I always go back to though is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. That one is my staple. I've always got a six-pack of it in the fridge. Beer is good!:D
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • Ron-P
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Good beer is expensive, but worth every drop. Heck, I spent $48 over the weekend on just 2 six-packs and 5-22oz'ers.

My staple beer is the Widmer Hefewizen or Steelhead Extra Stout. There's always some in the fridge or on the counter. I like my stouts at room temp. Also, there's always a couple 22oz'ers of Moylans Moylander Double IPA in the fridge. Awesome IPA that rolls in at 8.5% abv.

If...
  • wodom1
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Ron, have you had Arrogant **** ale from San Marcus, CA? I had a 16.9 oz bottle in Memphis last year and it was great. I can't find it anywhere else around here, though. Beeronthewall.com has it for sale but it's too pricey.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Ditto on the Yeungling...for whatever reason, can't be had here in SC.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Ron-P
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Ahhh yes, Stone Brewery. Their Arrogant **** is a good BIG hop / BIG malt beer.

Several Stones occupy my fridge at the moment. My local shop stocks just about every beer they brew. One of my very favorites is their Ruination IPA ,and outstanding brew. Very well balanced with strong hops and a high (100+) IBU yet the bitterness that should be there is not. Excellent mouth feel, rich, full and soft the stronge 7.7% abv is hidden very well. It finishes crisp, clean and dry. If you can find it, buy it. If not send my your addy and I'll ship a bottle to ya.

Actually, $3.99 is not too bad. I pay $3.19 at my local shop.

If...
  • wodom1
    edited March 2004
    Options
    True, $4 really isn't bad for a beer that good! It's less than a good pint at a bar. I'll send you a PM.

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2004
    Options
    http://www.beertown.org/events/gabf/03winners.htm

Looks like the 2004 World Beer Festival is in NC this year...anyone going?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hoosier21
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Looks like it is Colorado

September 30 - October 2, 2004
    Colorado Convention Center
    Denver, Colorado USA
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

• Ron-P
    edited March 2004
    Options
    No, we have mini-festivals here which suite me fine. The local Steelhead Brewery puts on a brewfest once a year which is very nice, but expensive. Also, twice a year at South Coast Plaza they do a micro-brewery / food fest. $35 gets you all you can eat and drink from the local breweries and eateries. Next one is in May I believe.

Josh, I replied to your PM.

If...
  • section19
    section19 Posts: 90
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by wodom1
    Ron, have you had Arrogant **** ale from San Marcus, CA? I had a 16.9 oz bottle in Memphis last year and it was great. I can't find it anywhere else around here, though. Beeronthewall.com has it for sale but it's too pricey.

I had a bottle of that while vacationing in San Diego last year. That was some good stuff. Can't find it around here either.

Never touch the mass produced stuff. Right now Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barley Wine is in season so that's all I'm drinking until the supply at the liqour store runs out. Just under 10% alc. by volume.

Lately, I've also been drinking Indica I.P.A. from Lost Coast Brewery in Eureka CA.

This is when I'm not drinking my own homebrew.

I prefer Quality over quantity. No PBR for me, thanks.
    Denon AVR-1803
    Polk RM6700 w/ Infinity Entra Sub
  • wodom1
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I've got some Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale in my fridge right now too. It is some pretty good stuff! I've also got a few bottles of Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale (from Delaware) left. The 9.6 ABV in the Bigfoot Ale will plant your **** on the couch after three or so.

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Good beer is good beer, period. Are everyone's tastes alike? Of course not. I don't care what the label is, how much it costs, or what stigma may be attached - pour me a tall, cold glass, and I'll let it speak for itself.

Next to the self-proclaimed Audiophile, there is nothing I hate more than the 'Beer Snob'.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ron-P
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barley Wine
    I'll have to check and see if I can find this one.

I recently had Stones Old Guardian Barley Wine. This one just about blew my socks off, 9.91%abv. Although, again Stone manages to hide the high octane level so as it's not to be over-powering.

The nose was fruity, something I did not expect with lots of hops. Mouth feel was full with decent carbonation. It is a little bitter up front with a decently strong pepper and slight carmel taste. The 22oz bomber of this made me put down the power tools and take a seat. Strong but good. Not a big fan though, a bit too punchy for me.

If...
  • section19
    section19 Posts: 90
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Good beer is good beer, period. Are everyone's tastes alike? Of course not. I don't care what the label is, how much it costs, or what stigma may be attached - pour me a tall, cold glass, and I'll let it speak for itself.

Next to the self-proclaimed Audiophile, there is nothing I hate more than the 'Beer Snob'.

Cheers,
    Russ

Have fun hating me, then. Because I DO consider myself a beer snob. And I can't say that I much give a damn if that's a problem for anyone. There's too much good beer in the world for me to waste my liver on the bad stuff. And, I also don't have a problem criticizing beer that I feel is bad.

Do I care what others drink? Of course not. To each his own tastes (and his own opinions).

Like the old German Braumeister adage goes: "All beer is good, some is better". :D
    Denon AVR-1803
    Polk RM6700 w/ Infinity Entra Sub
  • Ron-P
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Just had me some Karl Strauss Brewing Company Hefeweizn at lunch today. Good stuff. A bit on the tangy side but enjoyable none-the-less. Hold the lemon please...

If...
  • Spoonman
    edited March 2004
    Options
    While growing up in the Chicago area I remember PBR beer as well as a few others. As youngsters we pretty much had to drink what we could get our hands on. Some others I remember
    Stroh's, Old Style( This was my favorite)--Hamms (Loved that Hamms Bear on the Cubs games)and Schlitz ( The Beer that made Milwaukee famous).

Ha! I can totally relate to that. Lets see "what's ole dad drinking today" :).

I grew up around DC. I remember the beers you are talking about along with Carling Black Label, Rolling Rock, Mickey's (with the wide mouth) & Genesee Cream Ale. I still drink a RR or Genesee if I can find it. I remember when Coor's first became widely available in the area it was a big deal! At least to 16-18 YO's. Up until that time it was almost considered an exoctic beer :)at least on the East coast. I used to love the Hamms bear too. Never been to Wrigley Field but from the TV commercials. The big old bear and a stream somewhere. My brother has an old Hamms clock with that bear on it. Have to see If I can get it from him.
  • hoosier21
    edited March 2004
    Options
    When I was in high school in Indiana, a favorite was "Little Kings" sold in 8 packs of 7 oz. green bottles, great stuff (hey we thought so back then) can't seem to find it down in GA, wondered if anyone ever drank them.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2004
    Options
    The ultimate beer, "Cool Colt 45"....it was Mint flavored Colt 45 malt liqour....mmm mmm good :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Spoonman
    edited March 2004
    Options
    it was Mint flavored Colt 45 malt liqour....mmm mmm good

I'll bet that was good. About 6-10 half warm ones ot to do it. ;)

I remember this stuff when I was about 16. I think it was called "Hopingator" . Could only buy it in DC and it was this Sweet carbonated beer type stuff that to a newly unexperienced drinker tasted pretty good at first.........For a fact I can tell you it doesn't taste as good coming up as it did going down :)