A good cleaner for your equipment...

Options
steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,522
edited March 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Here's a tip I'll pass on for doing general cleaning of your equipment, works especially well on plastic/glass display faces.
Mequiar's Quik Detailer. Thats right, and an old cotton undershirt. Works great on both black and brushed finishes and resists future fingerprints. Makes diplays look crystal clear again too. Just shake well, and spray on the cloth (not the equipment) and go to it. Wipe until gone, don't let it "air dry."

Another tip...

Have a scratched display keeping your vintage piece from looking 100%? Take some 3M "Fine Cut" Rubbing compound (NOTE: I said rubbing compund, not polishing compound) take an old t-shirt and dab just a spot on it, rub lightly in small circular motion, then let dry. After turning to a haze, buff off. Still scratched? Use a little more pressure.

Give these a try...
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the tips Steve
    Graham
  • GZ
    GZ Posts: 343
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Where can one find some of this Mequiar's Quik Detailer? Sounds like something available maybe at an auto parts supply place?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,044
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Is that that mess in the Red bottle? We have *quick detailer here for when I detail cars on the weekend*, just curious if it is a red bottle, white liquid? If that is it, its available at Autozone, etc
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Yep, in the car department, red bottle.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited March 2004
    Options
    While yes, that is good advice, I have to put in a caveat.

Since it is automotive "detailer" and meant for automotive grade paints with clear coats or other sealed finishes, I have to say that one should use this product with care in your home. Most of the "quick detailers" are nothing more than a Windex like solvent and a light silicone protectant in an emulsifier that evaporates and lets the solvent evaporate but deposits the silicone which gives you that bright, clean and smooth shine.

These products can stain and damage paint and plastic on things like home audio equipment and home furniture. They can also destroy finishes so be very careful what you use them on. Also, silicone is an incredible insulator. If you are going to use the detailer, be sure not to get the "detailer" inside the equipment, on any electrical connections on the back or any heat syncs. The reason why is, the silicone can interrupt electrical currents. No juice no sound and possible damage. Keep it off the heat syncs because it will drastically reduce the heat sync's ability to disappate heat quickly. Judging by the listed equipment I have seen here that people own, that is a very real concern. If you do use it and like the results, I suggest spraying it liberally onto a cloth (like what was already mentioned) like you would have for a camera lens and rubbing only the parts you want to clean and shine. In most cases, it shouldn't damage finishes at all but there is always that small percentage that will be affected. Overall, you should be able to use it safely if you use it wisely.

What I normally use to clean equipment is simple really. Get yourself a California Car Duster. It will pick up the dust off of your equipment without using static electricity. It's works incredibly well and takes seconds to use. To clean greasy finger prints and such, I use vinegar and water. Dilute the vinegar in the water so that you can still, slightly smell the vinegar, usually about a 1:1 ratio, maybe a littel skewed towards the water end. Put it in a spray bottle and use like you would glass cleaner. The vinegar and water evaporates quickly and cuts grease and dirt well. It won't damage electronics or finished surfaces because the vinegar displaces the water so it doesn't leave any deposits. The best results come with using distilled water.

The vinegar and water doesn't leave much of a shine but it doesn't streak and doesn't leave an icky mess. It'll smell a little but the odor is gone in a few hours and nothing that some air freshener won't clear up.

For cloths to use, I have dedicated rags for cleaning electronics. Mainly because paper towels leave fibers, cottom rags leave fibers and heavier paper towels, nylon/polyester and other plastics don't soak up anything and can scratch lenses and display screens. Most camera cleaning equipment works well but the solvents can be expensive which is why I use the vinegar and water. The cloths aren't all that expensive and you can get many many uses out of them if you clean them in a light detergent like Woolite.

Another option is from the computer industry. You can usually get rolls of sheets called "delicate task wipers" or computer screen wipes. They have no solvents on them but will work like a paper towel. They are basically treated linen/paper and are used for cleaning optics like projector lenses, display screens like a front projection HT screen, CRT screens treated with an anti-glare coating, LCD screens and tape heads. They are anti-static and lint free. They can be a little expensive but worth the extra cost. Companies like Kensington, Kimberly-Clark, Scott and other paper companies have them. If you get them in bulk, they are cheap and will last a long time. They don't deteriorate too quickly either so they have a long shelf life.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2004
    Options
    See my (oops..sorry, WoodyJacobs') 17 year-old amp that has been cleaned regularly with this stuff, then make up your own mind....

pm840_rside.jpg
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited March 2004
    Options
    John is right, silicone products in the house and on audio gear are NEVER a good idea, neither is Armor-All on speaker surrounds.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jstas
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by steveinaz
    See my (oops..sorry, WoodyJacobs') 17 year-old amp that has been cleaned regularly with this stuff, then make up your own mind....

steve, I am not trying to be a jerk. Your advice is good advice and we should all, always take good care of our gear. I'm just trying to offer a little warning and advice to everyone. It is OK to use the "quick detailer" on the amps and such, I am just saying that people should be careful because it can end up damaging your equipment and I don't want to see that happen.

I have a great deal of experience with automotive cleaners and protectants and just automotive stuff in general. I have seen these things screw up cars and that is what they are MEANT to be used on. If use of these products can cause damage to what they are MEANT to be used on, I can only imagine what would happen to something that they weren't meant for if damage does occur. Audio gear is expensive and has a low WAF overall. A car is a necessity in today's world and the WAF is high with a skew to the negative side depending on how "sporty", "big" or "ugly" the vehicle is. I would hate to see someone end up getting thier equipment damaged and further reducing thier own WAF by having to repair or replace it.

What I was only trying to do was to tell everyone to exercise care when using the products and why they should exercise care. That's all, nothing against you or the post or the idea.

• Jstas
    edited March 2004
    Options
    One other thing though. If you use a silicone based product on equipment that gets very hot, like a tube amp case, the silicone can end up discoloring the finish.

• steveinaz
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I agree 100% that silicone products should not be used on audio equipment. I believe Quik Detailer is Carnuba based, no silicone. I've used it on plastics for years with great success, namely the fairings/instrument cluster/fenders/windscreens on my sportbikes; and never had any problems--it is what the motorcycle dealers use on their demo bikes.

Theories are a wonderful thing, but the very essence of a theory is that it must have the potential to be proven wrong (otherwise it is a FACT). Give me some evidence to support your claims...my evidence is a couple posts up...

Oh, and you NEVER treat speaker surrounds
    PERIOD. I use Murphy's oil soap and hot water on my speaker cabinets, they look wonderful.
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2004
    Options
    LOL! I was hoping no one would notice....;)
  • VR3
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Although, I am sure that quick detailer would work...

We use it on the car all the time when it dosnt need to be waxed. It works well there, but that stuff, when you get it on stuff is like a plague. It is a pain to get off after it dries without wiping. You have to apply it again to get it off.

It works about like Amor-All, whatever is touches you dont want to touch will be like BLEH........

It may work, but I suggest going outside and spraying it on a rag then coming in and applying it. I'd hate to see what it could do to furntiure and stuff.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Jstas
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by steveinaz
    I agree 100% that silicone products should not be used on audio equipment. I believe Quik Detailer is Carnuba based, no silicone. I've used it on plastics for years with great success, namely the fairings/instrument cluster/fenders/windscreens on my sportbikes; and never had any problems--it is what the motorcycle dealers use on their demo bikes.

Theories are a wonderful thing, but the very essence of a theory is that it must have the potential to be proven wrong (otherwise it is a FACT). Give me some evidence to support your claims...my evidence is a couple posts up...

Why are you getting so defensive about it?

I don't have the "proof" that you speak of because I learned the hard way a long time ago what it can do to things. I did not take pictures at the time because I didn't think that someone on the Intarweb, 10 years later, would be getting all uppity and questioning solid, well-intentioned advice based in experience and demanding proof of said experience.

You want proof? The only proof I have is the amount of money it cost me to fix my screw up. I learned the hard way and I'm trying to save someone else from learning the hard way too.

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I may have to use some of that on several small scratches on my RT5's.

For regular cleaning, nothing beats a can of compressed air and Swiffer.

Maurice
  • VR3
    edited March 2004
    Options
    www.autozone.com -- click on shopping, care care & chemicals, waxes and polishes, then Turtle Wax Zymol Detail

Here is something of what he is talking about.

Quick Detailer is a Carnuba based product. The only problem with it is, if you get it on stuff it is like a plague. It dries and leaves spots. So if you spray it on you have to get it ALL off. As I said, spray it outside then come inside and apply and keep it off the furniture.
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Jstas
    Why are you getting so defensive about it?

I apologize for coming-off like that, wasn't intended that way.

I wouldn't make a recommendation of something if I didn't have long-term experience with it.
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    ...It dries and leaves spots. So if you spray it on you have to get it ALL off...

Yes, absolutely. As per my post above. It has the consistency of furniture polish, so wipe until it disappears....
  • VR3
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Yeah, and once you think it is dry. Go back over it with a soft rag. Sometimes, depending on the temperature it will streak where you dont wipe it down good. FWIW
  • VR3
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Steve,
    Thanks for the tip...

We are about to put an old Yammer DSP on EBay, and he asked me to clean it up so I told him what ya said. I used it, it looks MUCH better. Thanks for the recomendation!

- Sid The Kid
  • VR3
    edited March 2004
    Options
    RESULTS -

That is a 15 year old piece of gear too...
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,877
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I find the new Swiffer works great the lil one swiffer duster....to remove all dust and not damage any parts.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I've heard the same thing, but have not tried one as yet.

Welcome to the Club...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Willow
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Thanks !!

I find the material is soft enough not to damage the tweets and does a great job of removing dust. I use it for all speakers and all my equipment. I would never use polish and waxes on my speakers , to me speakers are not furniture, and that stuff is furniture polish. the swiffers are 51/4 $ CAD nice and cheap and you get 4 or 5 dusters with it.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Nabbed a box of Swiffers at W-M yesterday... Little suckers are dirt magnets deluxe...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Side note: Meguiars makes the best car wax I have ever used. Their "cleaner wax" can work wonders is you have a little road tar on your car.

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I know audio eq is more robust than computers but keep those swifters away from any microchips. The electrical charge they use to attract dust could possibly fry sensitive chips. (Outside of the case should be very safe, but if you dust the inside....
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2004
    Options
    15 years of cleaning that Yamaha sure took its toll. It is all blurry looking. Hard to read the lettering. I'm glad none of my stuff looks like that!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by madmax
    15 years of cleaning that Yamaha sure took its toll. It is all blurry looking. Hard to read the lettering. I'm glad none of my stuff looks like that!
    madmax

lmao
  • Willow
    edited March 2004
    Options
    No I use swiffer for external cleaning only nevr thought of the static affecting it but kept externaly I see no dangers