CSi A4 vs. Csi A6

ballen823
ballen823 Posts: 110
edited April 2014 in Speakers
Hello -

I'm looking for some feedback on how much of a difference there is between the A4 and A6. I went with an A4 due to the size and how it fit into my TV stand, but now wondering if I should consider upgrading to the A6 for performance (I'd have to move some components out to fit the A6).

The reason being is that I've been having some issues with dialogue in movies lately when watching them at night at lower volumes (-20 to -27 on my SC-07). I've constantly had to grab the remote to turn up the volume to hear the dialogue, but lower the volume during peak action sequences.

I don't have this issue with all movies, so it may be a problem with the mix on the soundtrack (which may be the case with the Watchmen and We Were Soldiers that I've recently had issues with), but I'm wondering if I'd gain more parity with my towers by upgrading to the A6.

Here is my setup:

Fronts: RTi A7
Surrounds: Rti A3
Receiver: Pioneer SC-07 (MCACC adjusted)
Sub: Micropro 1000

Thanks in advance.

Brian
Post edited by ballen823 on

Comments

• bklynNupe
    bklynNupe Posts: 728
    edited July 2009
    Hi Brian,
    I have an a6 center.
    You might want to add an external amp, I’m sure you could use a bit more power.
    I have a emotiva xpa 3 for my center and rears. You should consider an external amp for your fronts and center. I have to constantly turn my sound down. Especially during those annoying pharmaceutical ads! If I’m just watching tv, I can turn my front channels off leaving just the center an rears. Guarantee just my center and rears will crush any Bose or comparable HTIB system! :D

emotiva xpa-2
    emotiva xpa-3
    Denon 3312ci
    Rtia9 /csia6 / FXi A6
    Samsung LN46A650
    SVS PB-12-NSD sub

Audio Research SP-9 MKIII (GNSC mods)
    W4S ST250
    Lsi 9 (mods)
    W4S DAC-2
    Mac Mini
    Audio Aero Prima CD player
    Pro-Ject debut
  • Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    edited July 2009
    The A6 is definitely a better center. Dialog will have more body, especially male voices and the speaker will keep up with your A7s. That said, it could be speaker placement. Also, I find the dynamics out of the main channels for the hi-rez codecs, whether it be more information or two hot for a small room, tend to drown out dialog at moderate volumes. I don't have to turn mine down, but you might want to bump your center volume over the mains to help offset.

Welcome to CP Brian...

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • ballen823
    edited July 2009
    Ron Temple wrote: »
    The A6 is definitely a better center. Dialog will have more body, especially male voices and the speaker will keep up with your A7s. That said, it could be speaker placement. Also, I find the dynamics out of the main channels for the hi-rez codecs, whether it be more information or two hot for a small room, tend to drown out dialog at moderate volumes. I don't have to turn mine down, but you might want to bump your center volume over the mains to help offset.

Welcome to CP Brian...

Thanks for the responses guys (and the welcome). I don't know why I didn't think of adjusting the center level. I believe my speaker placement is good, as it's angled slighty towards my listening position.

I think you could be correct with the bolded statement, as that seems to be the exact situation I'm in. Moderate volumes is where I have the issue the most. I wonder if I would experience the same issue with an A6?

I've been eyeing the A6 since before I bought my A4. I might have to jump on one from the Ebay store, as I don't think I will be satisfied until I do.

As for the amps, once I have my setup in a room that justifies it, I will be all over one. I'm in a midsize room right now and the SC-07 does a tremendous job of powering them near reference level.
  • camel_89si
    camel_89si Posts: 43
    edited July 2009
    I just recently upgraded from the A4 to the A6 myself. The A4 is a great speaker, however I can say that the A6 has much more sound to it, it has a lot more depth and presence than the A4. I actually had to turn up the volume on my fronts a notch because the center kind of overpowers my fronts but my fronts are RTi-A1's not A7's like you've got so you shouldn't really have that problem...
    Receiver: Yamaha RX-V863
    Center: PolkAudio CSi-A6
    Fronts: PolkAudio RTi-A1
    Surrounds: PolkAudio RTi-A1
    Subwoofer: Emotiva Ultra Sub 12
    TV: Toshiba 46" 1080p 120hz LCD
    Blu-Ray, DVD & Gaming: Playstation 3
    Logitech Harmony One Remote
  • danz1906
    danz1906 Posts: 5,144
    edited July 2009
    Welcome to the Club-The A6 is a great center and a perfect match for your A7s.
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D
  • ballen823
    edited July 2009
    Thanks!

Looks like you guys convinced me. Wish I just got the A6 in the first place.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited July 2009
    camel_89si wrote: »
    I just recently upgraded from the A4 to the A6 myself. The A4 is a great speaker, however I can say that the A6 has much more sound to it, it has a lot more depth and presence than the A4. I actually had to turn up the volume on my fronts a notch because the center kind of overpowers my fronts but my fronts are RTi-A1's not A7's like you've got so you shouldn't really have that problem...

D@mn you....;)

I still run my CSi3 with RTiA3s for fronts....now you have planted the seed of unrest in my mind about upgrading my center as well....:p

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • scarlet
    scarlet Posts: 3
    edited July 2009
    ballen823 wrote: »
    Thanks!

Looks like you guys convinced me. Wish I just got the A6 in the first place.

Got the same thing-A7s two weeks ago from POLK ebay (refurb) and the A4s (refurb) arrive tomorrow! A7s replace a classic in its own time, ADS L810s. However, after 30 years, the 810s deserve a rest. Still don't think any thing is wrong with them. Hope the A7s last a long time also!! They do sound good-bright (not harsh) and airy with good bass. Currently running them with an SVS center channel (low end) and the system sounds good! I think you will be fine with the SC07. I'm running mine with the Pioneer 1018 with no problems in a 3,000ft(3). But then again I do not try to wake the neighbors!! :D:D:D:D:D
  • ballen823
    edited July 2009
    Welcome to CP (from the new guy welcoming the newer guy)!

I love the A7's - I found the brightness lessened as they broke in. They lack a little bit in the mid section, but I think they are fantastic speakers overall. I'd love the 9's, but for my room they would be overkill. I use them mainly for HT use anyway.

As for pairing the A4, I've really had no problems with it other then the dialogue being drowned out on an occassional BD. In doing further research, it seems like it may be the mastering of some discs or artistic intent - most notably I've recently had issues with Watchmen, We Were Soldiers, and the newest Underworld.

I'll probably still pick up an A6 once I see it back on the Ebay store (checked last night and they were gone :()
  • acurax04
    acurax04 Posts: 4
    edited July 2009
    I also recently upgraded from the CSi A4 to CSi A6. I'm running RTi A3 fronts. While the A4 is certainly no slouch, IMO the A6 really pronounces the dialogue with more fullness and depth. The other satisfying thing is that I can stop wondering how much better the A6 would be in my setup...lol
  • Erik Tracy
    edited July 2009
    acurax04 wrote: »
    I also recently upgraded from the CSi A4 to CSi A6. I'm running RTi A3 fronts. While the A4 is certainly no slouch, IMO the A6 really pronounces the dialogue with more fullness and depth. The other satisfying thing is that I can stop wondering how much better the A6 would be in my setup...lol

d@mn you, too!!! ;):D

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • superjunior
    superjunior Posts: 1,632
    edited July 2009
    I highly recommend the a6, it's an awesome speaker and sounds just wonderfull. Erik just get the d@mn thing already! :)
    jr
    panasonic th-50pz85u
    pioneer elite vsx-92txh
    pioneer elite bdp-05fd
    emotiva xpa-3
    monster power hdp 2550
    sa 8300 hd dvr
    sda 2b's
    fronts - rti a9's
    center - csi a6
    surrounds - fxi a6's
    sub - polk dsw pro 600
    harmony one
  • Erik Tracy
    edited July 2009
    I highly recommend the a6, it's an awesome speaker and sounds just wonderfull. Erik just get the d@mn thing already! :)
    jr

d@mn you!!!

Yes yes....it is now at the top of my list.....anyone want to swap a PSW303 sub for a CSiA6???? ;)

• superjunior
    superjunior Posts: 1,632
    edited July 2009
    I'm only helping you man...:D:D:D
    panasonic th-50pz85u
    pioneer elite vsx-92txh
    pioneer elite bdp-05fd
    emotiva xpa-3
    monster power hdp 2550
    sa 8300 hd dvr
    sda 2b's
    fronts - rti a9's
    center - csi a6
    surrounds - fxi a6's
    sub - polk dsw pro 600
    harmony one
  • Retro152
    Retro152 Posts: 985
    edited July 2009
    I went from the Csi3 to the Csi-a6 center, night and day really. (sorry Erik;)) Also try Dialogue enhancement from the Audio parameter menu on the SC-07,seemed to make a noticeable difference when i enabled it on my 05.

Pat.
    Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-05
    Amp: Emotiva Xpa-3
    Front L/R: POLK Rti-a9s':D
    Center:POLK Csi-a6
    Rear surround's:POLK Rti-a1s'
    Sub: Klipsch Synergy sub-12
    Sony Kdl-46w4100 46" LCD
    PS3
    Audioquest type 4 wiring.
  • acurax04
    acurax04 Posts: 4
    edited July 2009
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    d@mn you, too!!! ;):D

:p Haha, time to just bite the bullet and grab one Erik! I think you'll enjoy it, but it will be a little trickier to wall mount than the A4 since it is pretty deep (+ power ports).

BTW, thanks for posting your opinions & pics of the A3's in other threads. I spent a lot of time envying your setup until I got my own pair--they are superb!

Now I just have to decide whether to get the FXi A6's or A4's for my surrounds. I'm thinking I'll just save myself the trouble and get the A6's straight away to avoid catching the upgrade bug...again...:rolleyes:
  • RDA
    RDA Posts: 14
    edited July 2009
    I'm actually considering buying an a4 this weekend. I'm clearly a newbie. I just installed 4 RCi65 inwall speakers (front and surrround), and now obviously need a center. Is $150 a good deal for a 1 year old a4? Should I wait and save for an a6 or is my setup so 'rookie' that an a6 is overkill.

Richard
    Sub: Looking for a PSW303
    Yamaha RX-V659 AVR
  • BigMcLargehuge
    BigMcLargehuge Posts: 2
    edited August 2009
    I was wondering about the A4 vs A6 myself recently. A friend asking me an innocent question about speakers inspired me to pick up a pair of FXi A6s, a Micro 1000, and the aforementioned pending CSi to add to my existing pair of RTi A7s in the front and VM 10s in the rear (they were on sale for $70 a piece new, I couldn't resist). I suppose the consensus here is that the A6 is the way to go? I just wish there were more of them on the eBay store... right now there's not enough to go around at the cheapo prices I'm looking for.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    edited August 2009
    Retro152 wrote: »
    I went from the Csi3 to the Csi-a6 center, night and day really. (sorry Erik;)) Also try Dialogue enhancement from the Audio parameter menu on the SC-07,seemed to make a noticeable difference when i enabled it on my 05.

Pat.

I guess I should read my manual more thoroughly. I will be trying this on my 05 tonite. Thanks Pat...
  • renowilliams
    renowilliams Posts: 920
    edited August 2009
    I picked my center upused and it works well with my rtiA5 fronts. For you guys with a smaller center and want a budget fix, it works well.
    "They're always talking about my drinking, but never mention my thirst" Oscar Wilde

Pre-Amp: Anthem AVM 20
    Amp: Carver TFM-35
    Amp: Rotel RB-870BX
    Fronts : SDA 1B w/ RDO-194s
    T.V.:Plasma TC-P54G25
    Bluray: Oppo BDP-93
    Speaker Cables: MIT Terminater
    Interconnect Cables:DH Labs Silver Sonic BL-1isonic
  • tommyt21
    tommyt21 Posts: 685
    edited August 2011
    Can't you just increase the center channel level on your Sc thats what i did and I never have any issues with dialouge.
    Living Room
    Fronts: RTi A7's
    Center: Csi A6 VR3 "Fortress Plus"
    Front Heights: Rti A1
    Surrounds: Rti A3
    Sub: HSU VTF-2 MK4 Damn this is a good SUB
    Pioneer Pioneer Elite: SC-35-> Emotiva XPA-3
    TV: Lg LW6500 55" Passive 3D
    Blu-Ray Panasonic BD 210
    XboX 360 Slim/Kinect

Acoustimac red suede panels
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited August 2011
    tommyt21 wrote: »
    Can't you just increase the center channel level on your Sc thats what i did and I never have any issues with dialouge.

Thats what I would try first.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jbooker82
    jbooker82 Posts: 1,627
    edited August 2011
    Or turn on the dynamic volume. It will slightly boost dialogue so it is easier to here at lower volumes.

Please explain to me how a more power hungry larger center channel will help solve the problem when the power and volume setting stays the same. I say it is a setup issue not a speaker issue.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited August 2011
    I found the A6 sounded bloated and artificial... Identical to my old CS2.

I sent it back for the A4 and have not looked back. Sharper and more natural. Plus off center performance I find to be better.

As others have said, sounds like a setup issue. I would turn up the center volume and give it some more time.
  • jkg123
    jkg123 Posts: 114
    edited August 2011
    The A6 will make you happier, but if it doesnt fit then it doesnt fit.
  • mole'
    mole' Posts: 3,160
    edited September 2011
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    I found the A6 sounded bloated and artificial... Identical to my old CS2.

I sent it back for the A4 and have not looked back. Sharper and more natural. Plus off center performance I find to be better.

As others have said, sounds like a setup issue. I would turn up the center volume and give it some more time.

i went from a CS2 to Csi3 to a Csi4 to a Csia6. saw a difference everything i went up. the CSia6 is a HUGE upgrade from the CS2 IMO....
    DSkip wrote: »
    Does nobody realize this thread is 2 years old? I'm hoping the OP figured out a solution by now. :smile:

i see that now.....
    mole'
  • Shamblerock
    Shamblerock Posts: 4
    edited March 2014
    I have traditionally always used 2 center speakers in my set ups. They just sound better to me than one single one because i position them on each side of the TV. I used to have a pair of CS2's acting as my centers but recently upgrade the front speakers ferom monitor 70's to RTIA9's and RT 10's in the back. Somehow the CS2's just don't complement the RTIa9 as well as a thought they would. So I am looking to replace them and either buy a pair of CSIa4's or a pair of CSIA6's. But I sense that 2 CSIa6's may be a bit too much and won't be used at their full potential given their ability to deliver volume. Today I can pay alnmost the same money for a pair of CSIa4's as I would for a single CSIa6. Has anybody tried this? If not, what do you think it would sound like? One major matching benefit that I see is that the CSIA4's are positioned almost exactly to the same height as the mids and twweeters in my RTIA9's and they appear to be the same exact components. I am powering these with an Emotiva amp 200X5 being that 200 watts is being shared by the 2 center speakers in a 4 ohm coniguration and therefore they are seeing 150 wats each. Any feedback or suggestions wiould be greatly appreciated.
  • ddebunda
    ddebunda Posts: 5
    edited April 2014
    Hi there,
    I am new to this forum so please tell me where to post to find the answers I'm looking for.
    My current system:
    Rti A7's for my fronts
    Rti A3's for my rears
    Klipsch Ksw10 sub
    YAMAHA TSR-6750 (which is SAME as RX-V675 according to AVS forum)

Use a 2013 MacBook Pro via HTMI to play downloaded 720p Tv shows and 1080p blu-Ray movies

My set up is in a room, 11ft wide (speakers placed across here) by 20 ft length (listening area) room is actually 30 ft in length with large open area to rest of house.

I am trying to decide whether the Csi A6 is necessary to insure proper timbre matching with my set or if the Csi A4 would do the job as well. My wooden entertainment center has a shelf about 14 inches high (from floor) that I could fit the A4 in or I could put A6 on lower shelf that has a door that lowers out, about 4 inches off floor. If I used lower shelf I could invert the A6 to angle slightly upwards. Any suggestions on where to find good prices on polk (I check eBay and some other online stores)

The majority of my experience with home theater has been the original klipsch synergy speakers from 15 years ago so I have been reading a lot but need some advise.
    I am currently using the Klipsch 10" sub from that system until I find some recommendations.

In addition to center speaker, I am in the market for a receiver that will give my A7's enough power.
    I see my 2 options as either a 7.1 or 7.2 receiver which I could bi-amp the fronts or just a nice 5.1 receiver. I don't know if having the additional rear surrounds 7 channels, would really make a difference in my room area.

I'm looking to spend $300-$400 on a receiver either new or used although new might be better choice (possibly onkyo) and return my present receiver to costco.
    Here's the specs on my yamaha that I paid $460 for new. I've thought about denon because watts per channel seem higher in my price range.

Also which model Polk or another brand sub would complement my speakers in the less than $200 range?

I don't have a whole ton of money to buy other stuff I have seen on here like amps, etc(not sure why I would need amps). I paid $700 for the A7's & A3's used with bello stands 2days ago.. I just saw a local pickup only ad for Rti12's and a Csi5 for $750 on eBay, oh well, I think I got a good deal anyway.

Please lend me your thoughts on my center question, receiver and sub as I would appreciate it greatly.

Thank you

Dave D
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    edited April 2014
    ddebunda wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I am new to this forum so please tell me where to post to find the answers I'm looking for.

Please lend me your thoughts on my center question, receiver and sub as I would appreciate it greatly.

Thank you

Dave D

Hi and welcome to club Polk!!

You're in the right area, but this thread is now five years old and has been resurrected a few times. You can start a new thread that will be your own and maybe get better results ;)
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Hi I'm new over here I've just started my set-up so not finished yet... Just bought Rtia9 towers for my front with a pioneer Vsx-832 as my amp thinking of CSIA6 for center and Fxia4 or 6 for rear speakers but I feel like my rtia 9's aren't throwing as much as they really could?? Any suggestions on what could help/what to buy?