PSW-550 for $93.99????

bokdaddy
bokdaddy Posts: 176
edited April 2004 in Flea Market
I just bought a PSW550 using the Buy It Now because I figured I could either use it or make a decent profit by selling it. I've never heard this model and the subwoofer I'm using now is a PSW202. I'm kind of feeling some buyer's remorse but I think I got a good deal. Any thoughts? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
James
Home:
Denon AVR-1803
Polk CSi30
Polk RTi70
Polk RTi28
Polk PSW-303

Car:
Kenwood KDC-BT945U
RF Punch P400-4
Polk MM6501
Polk MM651
RF Punch P300-1
Boston Acoustics G312-4
Post edited by bokdaddy on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited March 2004
    It's definitely much larger than the 202. You'll hear and feel a huge difference between the two. For the price you paid...Keep It!!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2004
    If it IS a 550, and you receive it working condition, you didn't get a deal...

You got an effin STEAL!

Keep us posted on the transaction, every step of the way, ok?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited March 2004
    The 550 will be an enormous upgrade from the 202, especially for that price. Nice get!
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited March 2004
    $14 to ship? Lets save the seller some trouble and just take his money.
  • phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited March 2004
    The 8 inch woofer, 100 watss rms, and 299.99 retail description doesn't sound right. :confused: Maybe I'm just paranoid, I hope you did snag a great deal, but I'd ask the seller to clarify.

regards

Dave
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • bokdaddy
    edited March 2004
    Originally posted by phoneisbusy
    The 8 inch woofer, 100 watss rms, and 299.99 retail description doesn't sound right. :confused: Maybe I'm just paranoid, I hope you did snag a great deal, but I'd ask the seller to clarify.

regards

Dave
    I checked the specifications to be sure and everything but the retail price lines up. Eight inch driver and 100 watts RMS is what it says on the Polk website.

To everyone who has replied, thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate your thoughts. I'm still a newbie to this home theater thing and I love getting advice.

- James
    Home:
    Denon AVR-1803
    Polk CSi30
    Polk RTi70
    Polk RTi28
    Polk PSW-303

Car:
    Kenwood KDC-BT945U
    RF Punch P400-4
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM651
    RF Punch P300-1
    Boston Acoustics G312-4
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited March 2004
    Hopefully the ad isn't implying 100w dynamic power output as then this plus the woofer size and the price make it line up with the 250. But the picture in the ad definitely appears to be a 550 although it also appears to be a stck photo ... Hope that's what shows up.

EDIT: In checking the sellers feedback he was accused of sending the wrong item several times over the past six months and not refunding.
  • phoneisbusy
    edited March 2004
    Ah... my bad. I was looking at the wrong specs... :o

Good luck with the deal!

Dave
  • bokdaddy
    edited March 2004
    Originally posted by PolkWannabie

EDIT: In checking the sellers feedback he was accused of sending the wrong item several times over the past six months and not refunding.

I did go through his feedback before placing the order and you're right, it does look a little sketchy, but for a merchant that sells as much stuff as this person these things do happen I'm sure. I figure even if it turns out to be the PSW250 I could put that on eBay and break even. But I e-mailed him or her last night asking if they could double check the item. I already got a response this morning that only says "PSW550." So my fingers are still crossed.

And it does actually say 100w RMS in the auction listing. Don't worry, I'm still skeptical too. I just hope there is an outside chance that this works out for me. ;)

---Ok, so he must have looked up the real price. I've been refunded and the note in the PayPal transaction says :
    "Thanks for bringing it to my attention that we priced this item wrong. I need to relist it for a price that is closer to retail.
    Sorry.
    Scott"

Stupid, stupid me and my e-mails...:(
    Home:
    Denon AVR-1803
    Polk CSi30
    Polk RTi70
    Polk RTi28
    Polk PSW-303

Car:
    Kenwood KDC-BT945U
    RF Punch P400-4
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM651
    RF Punch P300-1
    Boston Acoustics G312-4
  • criverajr
    criverajr Posts: 1,675
    edited March 2004
    "If it ain't broke don't mess with it"

CRj:)
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited March 2004
    That's not how it works, they can't sell it and then say "opps" sorry i made a mistake after you paid and all.. :rolleyes:
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • criverajr
    criverajr Posts: 1,675
    edited March 2004
    Faster,

All i was saying was many a time i have second guessed myself on a purchase here or even on audiogon and come to find out from feedback or testimonials from other forum members that i gear worked or looked fine, I really don't sell or buy off of ebay to many horror story from friends, so forgive my ignorance on the rules of ebay.

CRj:confused:
  • faster100
    edited March 2004
    No i meant, the sellers cant just refund you and say Opps" Not on your part :) sorry for the mix up
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited March 2004
    Yeah, that's BS. If it sold for the price the seller put on it then he needs to honor it. If he refuses I would report him to ebay. I don't know how much good that would do, but it would make me feel better if I was the buyer.
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • faster100
    edited March 2004
    Yup!!!
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited March 2004
    Give bad feedback!
    Life without music would
  • bokdaddy
    edited March 2004
    I reported him today to eBay and SquareTrade, but I don't know if anything will happen since he refunded me. I just don't think eBay's going to do anything for me. And I don't really want to give him negative feedback because I don't want to get the same as a backlash. The situation sucks but I don't think there's anything I can do to make him go through with the transaction.
    Home:
    Denon AVR-1803
    Polk CSi30
    Polk RTi70
    Polk RTi28
    Polk PSW-303

Car:
    Kenwood KDC-BT945U
    RF Punch P400-4
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM651
    RF Punch P300-1
    Boston Acoustics G312-4
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    edited March 2004
    I don't know. You had an agreement. He's backing out. Doesn't seem right to me but I'm no Ebayer
  • acdds
    acdds Posts: 253
    edited March 2004
    I think that would be the same situation as a non-paying buyer. The seller has the right to leave negative feedback and report a nonpayer to ebay. Why shouldn't you have the same rights for a non-shipping seller? Isn't any purchase on ebay supposed to be a legally binding agreement?
    Receiver = Denon AVR-3803
    DVD = Denon DV-2900
    Fronts = SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    (Carver m1.5t)
    Center = CSi40
    Side surrounds = Fxi30's
    Sony 12" sub
    TV = Hitachi 57F500

Bedroom rig:
    Pioneer SX-1050 receiver
    Rti38's
  • KarlJShields
    KarlJShields Posts: 31
    edited March 2004
    I think that would be the same situation as a non-paying buyer. The seller has the right to leave negative feedback and report a nonpayer to ebay. Why shouldn't you have the same rights for a non-shipping seller? Isn't any purchase on ebay supposed to be a legally binding agreement?

Exactly. The ebay rules are pretty clear here--this guy is a non-performing seller. The fact that he has offered to refund (or already has refunded) your money does not absolve him of his contractual responsibilities:
    from ebay:
    If a seller has refused to complete a sale and payment has not been sent or payment has been refunded, report the seller . Make sure to include a copy of the email documenting the seller's refusal to complete the sale with the full message text and complete email headers when making your report.

See http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/non-selling-seller.html and follow the links for more info.

In addition, you may be able to file a legal complaint with your local prosecutor, or his state's attorney, against the seller for breach or fraud.
    Good luck!
  • phoneisbusy
    edited March 2004
    Although I really wish bokdaddy had scored the sub at the price, what if it was just an honest error (e.g. typo)? Trying to see it from the other side, I'd hate to be out major dollars if it was a mistake. Most retail sites outside of eBay have a disclaimer that they can cancel a transaction if it was the result of an advertising error or something. I don't know if such a disclaimer exists although I didn't see one after a quick look. Maybe it is buyer and seller beware?

I wish bokdaddy luck in resolving this. At the very least it would have been nice if the seller had offered something for bokdaddy's troubles.

regards

Dave
  • bokdaddy
    edited March 2004
    Originally posted by phoneisbusy
    Although I really wish bokdaddy had scored the sub at the price, what if it was just an honest error (e.g. typo)? Trying to see it from the other side, I'd hate to be out major dollars if it was a mistake. Most retail sites outside of eBay have a disclaimer that they can cancel a transaction if it was the result of an advertising error or something. I don't know if such a disclaimer exists although I didn't see one after a quick look. Maybe it is buyer and seller beware?

I wish bokdaddy luck in resolving this. At the very least it would have been nice if the seller had offered something for bokdaddy's troubles.

regards

Dave

You're right, if it were a typo I would feel bad. However, after communicating with the seller I really believe he just had no knowledge of the product. It seems his business is run on the liquidation of store returns like many other merchants, so I don't think he'd be out any money if he sold it for the amount he listed it for.
    Home:
    Denon AVR-1803
    Polk CSi30
    Polk RTi70
    Polk RTi28
    Polk PSW-303

Car:
    Kenwood KDC-BT945U
    RF Punch P400-4
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM651
    RF Punch P300-1
    Boston Acoustics G312-4
  • tigerfever1
    tigerfever1 Posts: 33
    edited March 2004
    He just relisted it again,what a rip off...$499 BIN, yeah right...
    He didnt even change the description or orig, retail price, STAY AWAY FROM THAT SELLER. He does not know what's going on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3084476223&category=3275
  • KarlJShields
    KarlJShields Posts: 31
    edited March 2004
    OK, now you have to get this guy....
    from the seller's NEW listing
    Your bid is a contract. If you do not agree with these terms then please do not bid.
    Please remind him that a contract is binding on both parties who enter into it.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited March 2004
    Email all his bidders on all his current auctions with your story. There isn't anything illegal about that. A number of retractions may make him see the light.

Just the facts M'am,

DG
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited March 2004
    Have someone here bid the $79.99 to remove the BIN. There is no reserve.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • bokdaddy
    edited March 2004
    Originally posted by Dennis Gardner
    Have someone here bid the $79.99 to remove the BIN. There is no reserve.

Well I'm sure people will bid it up. I think the last PSW550 to go on eBay went for $286, and I don't wanna help this guy out any.
    Home:
    Denon AVR-1803
    Polk CSi30
    Polk RTi70
    Polk RTi28
    Polk PSW-303

Car:
    Kenwood KDC-BT945U
    RF Punch P400-4
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM651
    RF Punch P300-1
    Boston Acoustics G312-4
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2004
    I think he made an honest mistake. BUT that doesn't allow him to pick and choose who he sells the sub to. and that's what he's doing.

the seller and buyer do have a binding legal contract. yes there are circumstances which would preclude the transaction from taking place... but, he is legally held responsible to go ahead with the sale to you.

A mistake would be ( and it says this on ebay). if someone was intending to place of bid of say... $45.00 for an item that no normal person would pay more for than say.. $400 bucks.. but someone bids, and wins the item for say.. $4500.. then the bidder can back out of the contract without any recourse to that bidder. It's clearly a mistake that was made on the part of the bidder. He intended to place a bid of $450, and not $4500.

I'd take it all the way to the top. It may not get you the sub for your winning bid price. but it sure would make me feel good knowing that I spoke up about it.

good luck. call your BBB. Ebay needs to take your case under consideration.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • mgd99
    mgd99 Posts: 84
    edited March 2004
    This seller knows exactly what he/she is doing........just does not care. If you look at all the neutral feedback (which should really be negative) this seller has HORRIBLE feedback.

Never responds to negative feedback and continues to pull off the same deceits.

Of course, they are making alot of money for E-bay, so watch how little is done. BUT I would spend 5 minutes a day for a month peppering them with complaints.

Watching a thief steal and not reporting it is not socially responsible behavior. At a minimum you should leave negative feedback.

FWIW

mgd99