Diablo 2 on Win7 64 bit

DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,198
edited July 2011 in Video Games
Anyone have clues on how to get this to run? I've tried everything I can find on the web and am still empty handed. I've got a friend who is itching to play it again since D3 is getting closer so I'm trying to fire it up.
Post edited by DSkip on

Comments

• TouchOfEvilTouchOfEvil Posts: 989
    edited July 2011
    You need to go to the blizzard website and do a search for diablo ii windows7.
    There are some issues with it so you will likely need to download some driver info and change things how it is run. Vista has problems as well and i had to jump through a few hoops to get it to work on my laptop.
    Living Room Rig:D
    Rotel RSP-1069/Rotel RMB-1095/Rotel-1072/Polk lsI15's W/modded xoverW/DBsubs/Polk LsiC/lsI7's/Klipsch sub-12"the weak link"/DLP Mitsubishi 65"
    Xbox360/PS3/WII
    M.Br. setup:)
    Emotiva MMC-1/Rotel RMB-1075/Polk BlackStone TL350's/Velodyne SPL1000/Samsung 51" Plasma
    Computer Rig:
    Rotel RB1050/Tannoy DC4's/Klipsch RW-10d/ImodIpod/HK AVR230 for now....
    Headphones-Ultrasone-HFI780's w/LittleDot MK Vamp Portables Panasonic HJE-900's
  • pikerpiker Posts: 101
    edited July 2011
    I had an issue running Diablo 2 on Windows 7 64-bit a couple years ago. I believe I fixed it by going into the test setup and changing from Direct3D to DirectDraw I think it was. But that isn't necessary anymore... assuming you own a physical copy of the game and cd keys.

If you own D2 on disc, you can go to Blizzards website, sign into your account, and input your CD Key's for your copy of the game. All Blizzard games will let you do this now. Then you are generated a new, unique CD key for the game and will have access to a digital download of it from their website.

Using the digital download gets rid of having to have the disc in the drive to start up the game. I prefer it this way over the original. Also, the digital download is likely a newer version that has added Windows 7 compatibility. I haven't had to change any video settings since I started using this version of the game.

It's also nice because if you ever lose you original discs or the cd keys on them, you can still get access via the website.
    AVR: Onkyo TX-NR808
    Amp: Emotiva XPA-5 200 watts x 5
    Fronts: Polk Monitor 70 Series II
    Center: Polk CS2 Series II
    Surrounds: Polk Monitor 70 Series II
    Sub: HSU VTF-2 MK4
    HDTV: 73" Mitsubishi DLP-73740 3D-ready
    PS3, 2x XBOX 360, Wii U, Gaming PC.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,198
    edited July 2011
    Finally got it to work. I had to download the version from Blizzard to get it to work. Does anyone play this still?
  • mantismantis Posts: 15,427
    edited July 2011
    Funny I have loaded it both on my Mac's with no issues at all. It looks and sounds great for a older game. I can't wait for 3. It's been way to long. I'm killing it over here.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • pikerpiker Posts: 101
    edited July 2011
    mantis wrote: »
    Funny I have loaded it both on my Mac's with no issues at all. It looks and sounds great for a older game. I can't wait for 3. It's been way to long. I'm killing it over here.

You likely won't have issues with D2 on a Mac. There's so few models of Mac computers out there, but there's literally thousands of different pc configurations. This opens the door for more compatability issues with pc users.
    AVR: Onkyo TX-NR808
    Amp: Emotiva XPA-5 200 watts x 5
    Fronts: Polk Monitor 70 Series II
    Center: Polk CS2 Series II
    Surrounds: Polk Monitor 70 Series II
    Sub: HSU VTF-2 MK4
    HDTV: 73" Mitsubishi DLP-73740 3D-ready
    PS3, 2x XBOX 360, Wii U, Gaming PC.