XM Radio...Opinions?..Coments..Pros/cons?

crystal-clear
crystal-clear Posts: 19
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
I was wondering if any of you are using the new xm radio. If so, what do you think about it? Pros/cons? Please tell!
Also any other info for XM radio will be helpful. All I know is that it is $10.00 a month.
Thanks in advance!!!
Crystal-clear :D:confused:
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited February 2002
    IMO it sounds like it would kind of be like the music on Direct TV. I like having DJs to talk once in a while, afternoons here in Florida were I live can be pretty funny IMO and a lot of others. They have this guy comein and read jokes. He can't read to well so when he gets to mispronouncing words it adds a whole new meaning to the joke. Maybe you have to listen toit yourself if you can't picture it, don't know.
    Chris :)
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2002
    I have had XM radio for about 4 months now. It's great! I bought the Sony model because the stereo separation is much better than the other one they had on display. Both models were connected to the same amp and speakers. Sorry but I don't remember the other brand name. The Sony has another benifit. You can buy a seperate sleave (it is small and slides into a sleave which contains the connections) and use it in different locations such as the car, motorcycle or house. The audio quality is very close to CD if not as good. The programming is excellent. I listen to a lot of different types of music and whatever type you choose they play so much more than is on local stations. I am somewhat amazed that I like song after song after song and have never heard many of them before. They do tend to have play lists but they are vast compared to FM. One neat feature is that they show the artist and song title as it is playing. There is a memory button you can push to store the info so you can remember it later or in case you are driving at the time. The only slightly down side is the volume level changes a little between songs the same as when you play your own CD's. On FM they compress it all to the same volume but on XM I think they made the right decision and left the audio content alone. This is a GOOD thing. You can go to www.xmradio.com and select a realaudio sample of several of their stations. If you get it be sure to sign up online rather than by phone. It has a one time fee for signup and is less on line.
    Three thumbs up on this one!!!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited February 2002
    I've listened to some stations in the Polk Escape Demo truck and I have to say, it's awesome. I love the fact that I won't hear the same 5 songs over and over, all the while, listening to the static and hiss while driving.

The thing that's most attractive is that the songs are uncut. I hate listening to songs that have words changed JUST for radio. I guess it runs along the same lines as widescreen -- formatting for certain media. It drives me crazy.

I can't wait to get XM in my car -- maybe I'll order it today just to be crazy.

~JB
  • crystal-clear
    crystal-clear Posts: 19
    edited February 2002
    thanks for yalls info, does anyone else have anything to add?
    Are any other other manufacturers going to feture a tuner or intergrated unit with this built in.
    Thanks
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2002
    i here alpine has a good head unit with xm inside it is a little more expencive than other brands but it is qualty i have hade alpine in my cars for years now love it exept for their car speakers you can get better qualty for less there.

do any of you that have xm have a good aftermarket raidos in your car with amps? becues every car i have owned in the past and present the raidos have sounded wors than a bose raido system.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2002
    Just so you know, XM is supposed to have competition within the next few months. It is called sirus or something like that. $15 a month and a different group of stations. None of their stations is to have commercials whereas about 50% of the XM stations have them. I wasn't willing to wait to see who won so I got the XM. I still think it was a good choice. I think the first one to the marketplace deserves extra consideration.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D