great little tweak for RTi's

Options
organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
I own a pair of RT800i's and a PSW650 powered by an Onkyo TXDS575. I found a thread on this forum a few weeks back about this weird thing you put around the tweeter to minimize grille reflections. I will be purchasing some, but I'm too lazy at the moment so I decided to make my own. Late one night, I started to think about how big the improvement would be and started thinking about ways of making my own. After a few minutes, I ran to the washroom garbage can in my house and found one of those round paper things used for inner part of toilet paper. I brought it down to my basement and cut two 0.5" pieces. They fit perfectly around the tri-lams. I got some tape and taped the things around the tweeter(make sure you tape it around the plastic part around the tweeter(where it says dynamic balance), the paint around the metal things comes off easily). When it was finished, my 800's looked even sexier with this round thing making the grilles stick out a bit on the tweeter area. Next I put on some CD's and the amount of detail I heard was amazing. The soundstage was perfect. Whatever was supposed to be in the center were dead center and there was more air to the overall sound. I really enjoyed listening to my CD's, but at the end I ended up removing the things even though it sounded amazing. Why did I remove them? Because the sound didn't reach outside the L/R speakers. Instead, the sound stayed between the left and right speakers with very little things happening outside them. The imaging was so much better with the things on, but I prefer a very wide soundstage. Try this tweak on your RT speakers and let me know what you think. I will still purchase the real things soon because it would probably yield better result than my home made ones. I like to call my cheap tweak "Toilet Paper Radiator" =)

organ
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments