rt800i and dvd-audio !

Options
plem
plem Posts: 30
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Two pairs of rt800i's, Velodyne 12", and Eagles on dvd audio !-How sweet it is!!
Listening to "Hotel California" is on a whole new different level !
There's no comparison to the cd version.
If you think your rt800i's sound good now, wait till you hear Dvd-audio or SACD !
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Ya, I have the Metallica DVD-A and it is hard to explain how great it sounds. A new level of sound--I knew Digital music had potential. Amazing:eek: Enjoy
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited February 2002
    Options
    So why can't they put DVD audio with DVD video on the same disc?
    Space constraints?
    It'd be sweet.

-luc
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Yes, the BJork - Vespertine is quite amazing on DVD-A.

Can't wait to hear it on my LSi9 :)

- Steve
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    Options
    i am looking forward to listening to DVD-A/SACD in my home, just curious scott & plem, what DVD-A players are you using?
  • plem
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Toshiba 4700- one of the best values out there!
    Even though I'm partial to dvd-audio, you might want to hold off a bit longer for combo sacd+dvd-audio players.
    For me, the dvd player was part of a trade-in through an extended warranty .
  • Steve@3dai
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I also had the Toshiba 4700, for about 16 hours ;) I couldn't justify the $250 right now.

Apex has a SACD/DVD-A player right now, it's a Zoran chip inside. I just kinda wonder about the DACs and such...

- Steve
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • plem
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Steve, the Toshiba is a painful $450 Canadian up here.
    Some other people have got it worse! :(
  • Steve@3dai
    edited February 2002
    Options
    It's the man that's putting you down ;) hahaha

There is also the JVC unit that does DVD-A, progressive scan, etc. Looks like a nice unit, same features as the Toshiba, but $30 (US) more.

I think I might wait till someone like Arcam makes a DVD-A player when I plunge. I LOVE my Arcam A65 amplifier, so I trust them to do it "right" :)

- Steve
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • ncstatesman
    ncstatesman Posts: 145
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I recently read a mixed review (Ididn't read it thorougly, so i can't recall the particulars) in a mag called sensible sound on the Apex SACD/DVD-A player you might want to look them up on the web and backorder that issue
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I have the 800i's as weel. I had the same experience when I upgraded to a NAD C541 HDCD CD player. I sat down from 12am-5am listening to my CD's on the night I got it. I swear, sometimes I start to think that sex cannot be better than good audio. It was like having an **** for 5 hours straight! It felt sooooo good. It's hard to describe the feeling when you finally get a really good upgrade and the sound improves so much. If you love your music, don't use your DVD player and digital out, it can't even come close to a dedicated single-tray CD players. Let a good CD player do all the D/A conversion instead of your receiver.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2002
    Options
    We had a whole thread on this, I think in the M/M forum. That is what got me interested in DVD-A and then I found out that many of them are in DD 5.1. Went out right away and picked up Metalica's and I was totally blown away. Way clean-powerful-killer surround mix. Did research and found that it is rated one of the best DVD-A's out there and STP's Core being the worst. I had found the answer to my question: Why can't they put all the sound and power of a DVD-A on a standard DVD disc instead of making everybody buy new players? I know the players have upgraded DAC's and freq. responce but my Denon is pretty loaded. Anyway it is big taste of what DVD-A holds and until I GO THERE this will do me for now.:cool:
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Plem and Scottvamp, do you guys have your players hooked up to your receivers using the 5.1 analog outputs from you DVD-A players? or are you using a digital audio cable.
    I have heard to get true DVD-A you need to use the 5.1 analog outputs. just a thought and to help educate more people about DVD-A.
    I like to listen to Fleetwood Mac Rumors in DVD-A it's like the band is in my living room. ha ha ha ha.
    I'll have to check out Metallica (not that into heavy metal) and Eagles now. thanks
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Steve@3dai
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I am more interested in the 192kHz/24bit stereo more than the 5.1 mix :)

I have the Underworld Everything, Everything Live DVD, and that is an excellent 5.1 mix. No instruments in the rear channels, just reverb from the stadiums and the crowds... makes you feel like you are there.

- Steve
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Here's a link for some DVD-A's... they have a limited selection, but the quality is great. The discs also contain the video of the performances. You can get a sampler DVD from them for the price of shipping & handling ($6.95).
    AIX Records

The one I have, Beethoven Symphony No.6, is interesting... it has a "Stage" and "Audience" perspective as separate tracks.