Thoughts on my initial SDA experience...

Options
TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited March 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
As I posted, I was fortunate enough to experience SDA for the first time this weekend at F1nut's house. He has 2.3tl's with some high tone Musical Fidelity gear and high tone wire and cables.

So, what did I think of SDA? It is un-freakin'-believable. PERIOD. Soundstage? Never heard anything like it. To be honest, I didn't expect to be blown away. I had no idea how big and three dimensional and seamless the soundstage would be. I literally sat there speachless for hours and all the time I'm sitting there just totally blown away.

It was also my first experience with SACD, of which I was also skeptical. Not skeptical anymore. SACD (universal actually) is now on my short list of things I want.

I can't in, in a few hours break down and review the whole rig, but I can say that I was VERY impressed. I think that Jesse hit the nail on the head when he said that SDA's don't do anything perfect but do everything very well. I'll agree with that with one caveat, soundstaging, it doesn't get any better. It's been said before but the SDA's are a fun speaker to listen to. I can honestly now understand the cult-like mentality of SDA buffs and actually consider myself, officially, a convert.

You may ask, after hearing big SDA's how they compare to my reference speaker, the Carver Amazings. Fair question, I suppose but, IMO, they are apples and oranges. Bass response? I'd actually say that's a draw. The Carvers go deeper for sure but the 2.3's go down PLENTY low. The few extra hz that the Carver's squeeze out is negligable. Soundstaging, hands down, SDA. Where the Carver's have a distinct, IMO, edge is in the top end. The ribbon is, IMO, smoother. I've yet to hear the tweeter yet (including the LSi tweeter) that can compare with the ribbon. Detail and transparency I think the Carver's have an edge in as well. Overall, I'd stick with the Amazings, however it's a very close call and the SDA's are VERY, VERY impressive.

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Now get your silly **** down to Texas and pick up these CRS+.

Some will agree, some disagree, but as far as 'SDA' goes, I think the smaller speakers (CRS, 2, 1) do it *better* than the larger ones.

Good to hear you enjoyed the demo, and if Jesse's room is as effed up acoustically as I've heard - it will only get BETTER for you.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Russ,

Are those CRS+'s already part of a done deal or are they for sale or ?

TIA,

Rick
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by TroyD

So, what did I think of SDA? It is un-freakin'-believable. PERIOD. Soundstage? Never heard anything like it. To be honest, I didn't expect to be blown away. I had no idea how big and three dimensional and seamless the soundstage would be. I literally sat there speachless for hours and all the time I'm sitting there just totally blown away.
    BDT

Thats what we have been freakin telling you!:D

BTW, Russman is right. Read my comparison between the big boys and the CRS+. It is currently the last post in the following thread.

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16578&perpage=30&pagenumber=3

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • TroyD
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I wouldn't say that I was disbeliever in SDA, not ALL of you guys can be wrong and Russ and I, I think, based on our shared gear demos and so forth hear things pretty similar so, like I said, it's not that I was an unbeliever.

Now, I'm NOT the authority on Sonic Holography but I was expecting an effect similar to that. SDA, IMO, is far more realistic and convincing than SH. Now, it may be that I don't have SH setup correctly, I'm full of ****, whatever but SH in my experience is not as good.

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Rick,

Troy promised to name his first born after me (or if not me, 'Cooter'), so yeah, the CRS+ are spoken for. Actually, these were Nascarmann's speakers first, so they have a sentimental 'family' attachment also.

Troy,

I HAVE to get into your house, and hear that ****, and you mine. You're right, our tastes in gear are VERY close, if not identical - so if you say it sounds good, I know I'll dig it, and vice-versa.

Chuck,

Good to see I'm not alone on the topic, Hoosier was the one that told me check it out, and see if I heard a difference.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2004
    Options
    AMEN Troy AMEN!
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • madmax
    edited March 2004
    Options
    To me sonic holography sounded like an effect, not real, but like you, what do I know. Besides, I was trying it with SDA's without the SDA cable. Glad you got your first demo of SDA's on a good system!
    madmax

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Great write up Troy. I just hope that Polk will re-introduce the SDA speakers in the future. I'd buy a pair for sure. I don't know what they're waiting for. I mean, their big speakers like the RTi150/12 are selling very well so there's no doubt a new line of SDA will sell as much or even better.

Maurice
  • SDA SRS 1.2
    SDA SRS 1.2 Posts: 255
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I've also found that sonic holography has a very small sweet spot and usually just leave it turned off. The SDA effect is awesome, especially on well recorded material with good channel separation.
    Main System: Polk SDA SRS 1.2 Speakers, Sunfire Signature 600~two Amp, Carver C-16 Preamp, Carver TX-11b Tuner, Marantz 6350Q TT, Philips CDR-775 Recorder, Teac V-707RX Cassette Deck, Signal Cable Double Run Speaker Cable

Upstairs Den: Marantz 2325 Receiver, Marantz 5220 Cassette Deck, Marantz HD-880 Speakers, Marantz 6370Q TT

Exercise (Kabuki speaker) Room: Kenwood KR-9600 Receiver, Pioneer CS-99a Speakers, Sansui SP-X9000 Speakers (not pretty, but LOUD! :) )
  • bgaskins
    bgaskins Posts: 65
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Ask and ye shall recieve. I went to ATC house to check out the SDA. It was unreal. All this time on the forum I had been hearing about these things, I was wondering what the big deal was. Well now I know. For reference Sean had a pair of totems and a pair of LSi. Which I had never heard. He let me here the LSi first. I was very impressed. I own a pair of Rti 70s. So it was a big leap. Then he turned on he SDAs. Holy ****. The only way I can describe the sound is like this. And this won't give it justice. It was as if the bass and the vocals came from the speakers, directly at me. The rest of the sounds seem to float in the middle of the room. At one moment the sound would seem to float in front of me, then come from behind me, then the corner. All seamless, I had this big doofus grin on my face. Then he put on some live skynard. "Sweet home Alabama" It wasn't like most live 2 channel recordings where all of the crowd noise is coming at you. It was like I was there. IN the crowd. The crowd roar was all around me. It was almost real. I am still baffled as to how this can be done. Sean says it has something to do with the uncommon ground. I am an electrical engineer and I don't care how it works. All I know is that it was the most amazing thing I had ever heard, and if I hadnt just bought a motorcycle and I had room, I would have made him and offer and toted those bad boys home. Do I think Matt should make some new SDA. Hell YeaH I do! If anyone has the chance to ever listen they should take someone up on it. Even if they have to drive. Thanks again Sean. It was an aural experience. PS. If someone has some specs on the SDA as to how they work. I would like to read that. Thanks again forum.
    BG
  • madmax
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by bgaskins
    It was like I was there. IN the crowd. The crowd roar was all around me. It was almost real. BG

ALMOST real? Must have been something wrong with Seans system that day. :D

• amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I have some 2B's in the living room. I FREAKIN love 'em. I will be getting some big boys;)

I would LOVE to get a set of CRS's for my kitchen.....:D
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Troy,
    Can't believe it took you this long to have your SDA cherry popped, I only hope F1 was gentle...

and no, don't wate your time, you can't get SH to sound that good.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Hehe......
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• bgaskins
    bgaskins Posts: 65
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Sounds good sean. Hopefully I can get over there before I go out of town again.
  • TroyD
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Yeah, F1 was gentle......

He is a good guy and all, but the whole time I'm thinking how I can get all his stuff out the door and into my truck while he is asleep. No wonder the guy never sleeps.

BDT